Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How is his chances for a couple of games next season? I know that Sharks are loaded in offensive, so dont know how realistic it is to see him, but all of you know way better than me.

I would also like to know what have changed with him compared to the prior two seasons. How come he has exploded in points? Is it because of better linemates or has he simply progressed that much?

I wouldn't expect to see him with the Sharks next season unless there's an emergency need for a forward and he's doing well enough to get a reward short term call up. He'll likely spend the whole season with the Barracuda barring any surprises.

As for why the spike, part of it is that he's always had skill and this is an evolution of it, but part of it is also that he's a 20 year old in the chl where over-age players tend to get a healthy bump in effectiveness. Last year, udfa signing Jayden Halbgewachs put up 70 goals in the whl in roughly 70 games in his age 20 season. This year he has 10 goals in 52 games with the Barracuda. My own whl team's leading scorer isn't one of its drafted prospects or the guy expected to go in the top 5-7 of the next draft, it's an over-age forward with basically zero nhl aspirations.

That's not to downgrade Blichfeld to non-prospect or even fringe prospect status though. He still deserves a spot adjecent to the top end guys like Chmelevski and Chekhovich. It's simply that we do need to recognize part of his success this season for what it is and temper our expectations accordingly

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sharks in the CHL playoffs:

WHL
(US div #2) Portland (Blichfeld) vs (US div #3) Spokane (McGrew)

OHL
(East div #1) Ottawa (Chmelevski) vs (East div #4) Hamilton
(East div #2) Oshawa vs (East div #3) Peterborough (Merkley)

QMJHL
(West conf #1) Rouyn-Noranda (Emond) vs (West conf #8) Shawinigan
(East conf #2) Baie-Comeau (Chekhovich) vs (East conf #3) Moncton
(East conf #3) Rimouski vs (East conf #6) Chicoutimi (Kotkov)

The WHL uses a version of the NHL style setup (top 3 teams in each division plus 2 wild cards), the QMJHL uses the old NHL setup (conference 1 through 8), and the OHL appears to take 4 teams from each of its 4 divisions, playing within themselves (div 1 vs div 4, div 2 vs div 3) in the opening round.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Sharks in the CHL playoffs:

WHL
(US div #2) Portland (Blichfeld) vs (US div #3) Spokane (McGrew)

OHL
(East div #1) Ottawa (Chmelevski) vs (East div #4) Hamilton
(East div #2) Oshawa vs (East div #3) Peterborough (Merkley)

QMJHL
(West conf #1) Rouyn-Noranda (Emond) vs (West conf #8) Shawinigan
(East conf #2) Baie-Comeau (Chekhovich) vs (East conf #3) Moncton

The WHL uses a version of the NHL style setup (top 3 teams in each division plus 2 wild cards), the QMJHL uses the old NHL setup (conference 1 through 8), and the OHL appears to take 4 teams from each of its 4 divisions, playing within themselves (div 1 vs div 4, div 2 vs div 3) in the opening round.
Kotkov is also playing for East Conf #6 Chicoutimi vs. East Conf #3 Rimouski.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yep. And that's why I included it in the above post, right along with the others, right at the very beginning when I posted it. Because it's been there the whole time
i-like-the-cut-of-your-jib-gif.gif

Reactions: Bowie22

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
CHL-Update (2 in 1 Style)

Chekhovich a -2 in a 4-1 loss. Season stats (GP/G/A/P/+-)
664362105+42
[THEAD] [/THEAD]

Merkley with zeroes across the board in a 3-1 loss
63145771+4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Gregor 2g, 2nd star in a 3-1 win
63434588+49
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Chmelevski a Hattrick, +2, 1st star in an 8-3 win
56354075+30
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Blichfeld with 1a, -2 in a 5-2 loss and 1a, -1, named 1st star (more for his season than the game I suppose) in a 6-5 loss
685361114+16
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Crewouse

Mar 30, 2016
CHL-Update (2 in 1 Style)

Chekhovich a -2 in a 4-1 loss. Season stats (GP/G/A/P/+-)
664362105+42
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
Merkley with zeroes across the board in a 3-1 loss
63145771+4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Gregor 2g, 2nd star in a 3-1 win
63434588+49
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Chmelevski a Hattrick, +2, 1st star in an 8-3 win
56354075+30
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Blichfeld with 1a, -2 in a 5-2 loss and 1a, -1, named 1st star (more for his season than the game I suppose) in a 6-5 loss
685361114+16
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

How is Blichfelds play off the puck and in his own zone? +16 seems low for how much he is producing. I know it's +/-, but I don't have anything but stats to judge him by.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Being completely realistic I don’t like the Petes odds of beating Oshawa in round 1 so I imagine Merkley will be made available to sign an ATO with the Barracuda.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Being completely realistic I don’t like the Petes odds of beating Oshawa in round 1 so I imagine Merkley will be made available to sign an ATO with the Barracuda.
Being selfish about Merkley's future and not concerned about the Pete's, I am perfectly fine with him on the Cuda for their playoff run.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Being selfish about Merkley's future and not concerned about the Pete's, I am perfectly fine with him on the Cuda for their playoff run.

Would be good for his long term development, no doubt. Still don’t think he’s ready for ‘the show’ next year

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Would be good for his long term development, no doubt. Still don’t think he’s ready for ‘the show’ next year

I don't expect him to make it to the Sharks either. But I am just not sure if the juniors is going to help him any more in his development. He would be better served playing in the AHL or even going to Europe.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't expect him to make it to the Sharks either. But I am just not sure if the juniors is going to help him any more in his development. He would be better served playing in the AHL or even going to Europe.

His development seems to be on the mental side of things, not the skill side, so at least there's something that you can work on in the CHL without concerns that he's outgrown the league.

besides that, I don't think that assigning him to Europe would happen without a gigantic fight between the NHL/PA and the CHL. It's not the same as Auston Matthews leaving for NLA instead of playing in a North American development track at all, or as an Import Draft guy like Goldobin being loaned back to a European league.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
From Friedman's 31 thoughts, about our scouting/drafting:

20. San Jose takes pride in its scouting, which finds players even though they don’t draft high. Portland’s Joachim Blichfeld led the WHL in scoring. Baie-Comeau’s Ivan Chekhovich was second in the QMJHL. Split between Guelph and Peterborough, Ryan Merkley was second among OHL defencemen.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Even though he was an over ager this season the thing I like about Blichfeld are his offensive abilities. He's got a wicked shot and smooth mits. Just needs to get physically stronger and faster which can both be trained for. The mental aspect, his confidence and knowing what he's capable of, that mindstate is what I'm excited about too. I hope that translates to his pro game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad