Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks have 15 pending RFAs, only Labanc, Meier and Ryan on NHL roster, so that's some spots that might open up. (Thinking that Brodinski and Schoenborn do not get QOd)

(There are also 8 pending NHL UFAs.)

McCarthy and Hensick plus Weinger, Fonteyne, McAuley, Frye, K Middleton, Kosorenkov have expiring AHL deals.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So the Cuda roster as it stands at this moment (using line combos from their last game)

Viel - Suomela - Gambrell
Dahlen - True - Perron
Halbgewachs - McCarthy - Martin
Letunov
- Hensick - Weinger
ex/inj: Clifton, Wiederer, Chartier, Fonteyne, McAuley

J. Middleton - DeSimone
Fitzgerald
- Roy
K. Middleton - Wood
ex/inj: Gregoire

Bibeau
Korenar​

Shark contracts in the ECHL

Fwd: Schoenborn
Def: Brodzinski, Donaghey

Players in Blue are RFAs this offseason
Players in Red are UFAs this offseason
Players in Gray are AHL contracts
Players in Gray Italics are expring this offseason

I'm not bothering with Barracuda contracts that are in the ECHL. They're non-factors from a Shark perspective.

The Cuda set that's currently under contract for 2019-2020+, based on the current lineup, is (for the purposes of this I'm not futzing with the line combos yet):

Viel - _______ - _______
Dahlen - True - _______
Halbgewachs - _______ - _______
_______ - _______ - _______
ex: Wiederer, _______

J. Middleton - _______
_______ - Roy
_______ - _______
ex: Gregoire

Bibeau
Korenar
That's 9 players under contract, leaving room for a likely set of:

9 forwards
4 defencemen
0 goalies

to fill those ranks from the available RFAs/UFAs/Cuda players/other FAs

Looking at the amateur prospects, here's where the team stands:

Expiring NCAA rights:
Marcus Vela (C)
Jake Jackson (LW)
Jake Kupsky

Ending CHL rights:
Gregor
Blichfeld

Eligible for either the AHL or over-age CHL season:
Chmelevski
Chekhovich

Ineligible for the AHL:
Kotkov (will be entering his age 19 season)
Merkley (will be entering his age 19 season)

Alright, it's hypothetical decision time. Here's the slate of free agents, expiring rights, and CHL assignment questions presented on the whole:

Forwards (14 + 3 Barracuda)
Suomela
Gambrell
Chartier
Perron
Letunov
Martin
Schoenborn

Clifton
Blichfeld
Gregor

Chmelevski
Chekhovich
Vela

Jackson
McCarthy
Fonteyne
Weinger

Defencemen (5 + 1 Barracuda)
DeSimone
Wood
Fitzgerald
Brodzinski
Donaghey

Goalie (1)
Kupsky

Blue are RFA
Red are UFA
Orange are required pro assignments (under contract)
Green are potential pro assignments (under contract)
Purple are expiring draft rights (unsigned)

The worst case scenario would be that the Sharks would only need to clip 4 forwards and 1 d-man from the list above to accommodate all the other players on said list on the Barracuda. I'm not sure of the rules/logistics, but I imagine they could also get out from under those two Cuda contracts (Viel, Gregoire) if they wanted to with little issue. So just in terms of cramming everyone on the roster, it's not that bad.

but let's look at this a little bit more pragmatically.

Of the forward set, I would bet that:
  • Suomela, Gambrell, Chartier, and Perron are easy decisions to re-sign.
  • Letunov seems like he's probably a re-sign, but I suppose there's the outside chance he decides to head to the KHL rather than be an AHL depth guy. Let's assume he sticks around.
  • I could see Martin being left unqualified if they need more room. We'll default to projecting him to be unqualified.
  • Neither of Vela nor Jackson will be signed
  • Clifton will be allowed to walk as an UFA
  • Schoenborn will not be qualified and will become an UFA
  • On the Barracuda front I would imagine that they would like McCarthy back as he's the captain and a young team needs veteran leadership. Fonteyne and Weinger are roster filler at this point. But with that said, if the choice came down to retaining McCarthy or making room for a necessary Sharks addition, the latter is going to win out.

On defence:
  • DeSimone and Wood seem like easy re-sign decisions
  • Brodzinski is an easy non-QO
  • Donaghey is having a nice season in the ECHL and probably warrants a re-sign if for no other reason than to see if he can play at the AHL level
  • Fitzgerald likely has very little, if any upside beyond being AHL filler, but he does seem to be steady enough to be the kind of player the org would want as AHL stabilizer
  • Keaton Middleton is a tough call. On the one hand he's having a decent season and he has NHL draft pick pedigree ('16 4th rounder by Toronto) but on the other hand he's been a bottom pairing guy all year and would probably be expendable in the face of other, better prospects. I'd be re-signing him and perhaps that means pushing one of Donaghey or current AHL 7th Thomas Gregoire down to the ECHL

In net:
  • Kupsky has had good GAAs, but has struggled record-wise, posted low save %s, and appears to have lost his starter's job at Union College this season. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go un-signed to leave room for other, better potential goalie prospect signings/acquisitions

In terms of the Sharks, their situation is the following

Pending UFA
Fwd: Pavelski, Thornton, Nyquist, Donskoi, Haley
Def: Karlsson, Heed

Pending RFA
Fwd: Meier, Labanc
Def: Ryan

I don't want to get too deep into hypothetical Sharks transactions, but let's assume that at minimum both RFA forwards are re-signed, they lose 2 UFA forwards, and 1 of the UFA or RFA d-men (either through non-signing or trade). In the process they replace those forwards with the re-signed Gambrell and Suomela and the two remaining d-men are kept and the team carries 7 D instead of 8 with no additional Cuda guys moving up (most pertinently, Jacob Middleton).

Now let's assume things unfold that way. Adding in the necessary promotion of Blichfeld and Gregor, but ignoring the potential promotions of Chekhovich and Chmelevski and Cuda FAs, this is where we would stand in terms of a hypothetical lineup before considering anyone on the Cuda right now earning a permanent call-up to San Jose:

Viel - Chartier - Perron
Dahlen - True - Blichfeld
Halbgewachs - Gregor - _______
Letunov - McCarthy - _______
ex: Wiederer, _______

J. Middleton - DeSimone
Fitzgerald - Roy
K. Middleton - Wood
ex: Donaghey
ECHL: Gregoire

Bibeau
Korenar
At this point we're left with 2 regular lineup spots and 1 reserve forward spot to fill. In theory this would allow for the pro assignment of Chekhovich and Chmelevski, but the question becomes then whether or not you want them getting limited minutes in checking line roles when both are skill forwards. You can solve one of those issues by moving Viel down to the 4th line, more in line with where he likely belongs, but then you're still stuck with one of Perron, Dahlen, Blichfeld, Chmelevski, or Chekhovich stuck on the 3rd line. I already don't like that Halbgewachs is forced into that position given that he's shown a bit of scoring pop and is probably held down as much by a pair of linemates who have a combined 43 points this season (McCarthy and Martin) as he is the limitations of his skillset as a pro. Some of that might be remedied in my hypothetical lineup by virtue of Halbegewachs/Gregor/whoever being far more skilled than Halbgewachs/McCarthy/Martin, but who's to say that Sommer still won't be a stickler and deploy them like a checking line?

I guess if we assume both Chemelevski and Checkhovich come up, the optimal starting point for a roster would be:

Chekhovich - Chartier - Perron
Chmelevski - True - Blichfeld
Halbgewachs - Gregor - Dahlen
Viel - Letunov - McCarthy
ex: Wiederer, (empty)

J. Middleton - DeSimone
Fitzgerald - Roy
K. Middleton - Wood
Donaghey

Bibeau
Korenar​

That's actually not as bad as I thought it would be at the outset.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Blichfeld 1a, -1 in a 4-3 loss
Merkley -1 in an 8-0 loss
Chekhovich with zeros across the board in a 3-2 SO-loss
Chmelevski doing his best Chekhovich Impression in a 3-0 win

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I thought Ferraro was traded? No?

Nope.

Since last year's trade deadline the prospects out have been:

O'Regan (Kane trade)
Bergman (Hoffman flip)
Norris (Karlsson trade)
Balcers ( :cry: ) (Karlsson trade)
Praplan (jettisoned to Florida)
Linus Karlsson (Dahlen trade)

Ferraro's had kind of a **** year statistically and it's taken away the "OMG mega steal!" hype he had last season, but he's still around.

Reactions: Sandisfan

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
Nope.

O'Regan (Kane trade)
Bergman (Hoffman flip)
Norris (Karlsson trade)

Ferraro's had kind of a **** year statistically and it's taken away the "OMG mega steal!" hype he had last season, but he's still around.
Youre right, i was thinking about Norris.....he was traded.....thank you

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Nope.

O'Regan (Kane trade)
Bergman (Hoffman flip)
Norris (Karlsson trade)

Yeah, I am honestly really bummed about Ferraro.

After the 2018 draft I was optimistic that we had 2 top-4 D prospects in the wings. Merkley (2018 draft) with questionable character issues and the other was Ferraro (2017 draft) who was a good 2-way D-man. Almost a year later, its a bummer that Merkley's character issues are not allayed and Ferraro has had a bad year. Statistically anyway.

I am still not that worried about Merkley because the kid is only 18 and I just don't think the Juniors are a good place for him anymore. I am not sure if he can legally play in Europe next year but I am hoping DW tries to make that happen.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Walfish: UMass hockey writing its own script in historic season

Has the cliches down pat
“Every game counts and leading into playoffs, it’s important to play playoff-style hockey,” sophomore defenseman Mario Ferraro said. “It was important that we understood that every game counts and every shift counts. Even when we took a big lead there, coach stressed on us to make hard plays and play playoff-style hockey; no matter what the score is, play it like it’s 1-0 in the third.”

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Almost a couple of months ago I posted the results of a prospect points-tracking model I had made to evaluate the performance of our kids across various leagues and systems. At the time I had wanted to do a weekly update only to find that eliteprospects had somehow broken my data connections and the worksheet wasn't refreshing. Well, I spent the last couple of days rebuilding the model and though it's still very much a work in progress, I wanted to share the results.

Disclaimers about the following issues which likely will impact its viability/reliability:
  • Scoring rates are compared off of NHL league averages from last season. I have yet to update for 2018/19 (which shouldn't be an issue with the season being in progress given that I'm working from PPG as my central figure)
  • conversion factors are mostly based off of the work of former Hockey Abstract author and now (I think) Kings employee Rob Vollman. He hasn't updated the factors since last season, before he was hired by a team, but for the most part the adjustments that would happen in the mean time should't be materially significant. It's not like I'm comparing across decades here.
  • Adjustments for the ECHL, WCHA, and Allsvenskan were eyeballed by me in relation to other comparable leagues (the AHL, other NCAA conferences, and SHL respectively) and general expectations. I fully admit at this point that some of this is to kind of "force fit" a conversion result that looks right by the eye test in terms of how much those lower-tier leagues' results mean. They may not accurately reflect the relevance scoring numbers in those leagues have to future pro success. Accounting for this is one of my big to-do things moving forward. For our purposes, these only really impact Dahlen a little bit and some guys who mostly aren't worth caring about (Jackson, Schoenborn, Brodzinski, etc).
  • The weights I've given to prior years when doing a 3-year weighted average are arbitrary at this point in time (if I have 3 years of data it's 60% now, 30% last year, 10% 2 years ago. If I only have 2 years it's 2:1 weight this year vs last). It's just a proof of concept/test run right now.
  • I've included the more notable guys on Cuda contracts on the Cuda roster (Jeffrey Viel, Matt Fonteyne, Colby McAuley, Matt Fonteyne, Keaton Middleton, Thomas Gregoire) for kicks. If only to see if we have any new True-type guys worthy of signing to the Sharks system).
  • I have yet to account for age the way I want to. The issue is that the only points-based aging curve I have is a CHL one that runs from 16-20. I don't have anything that extends beyond age 20. There's a site that did some age curve work, but they don't publicly show their work or the necessary numbers to reverse-engineer the curves on my end.
The basic scoring idea is to convert a player's PPG performance in their league to an NHL-calibrated scale and then spit out a Z-score based on NHL mean/standard deviation for forwards or d-men.

2018-19 Results, top and bottom 10 (AHL contract players are marked by an asterisk)

1) Merkley
2) Blichfeld
3) DeSimone
4) Chmelevski
5) Chekhovich
6) Gregor
7) Leonard
8) Gambrell
9) Wood
10) True

29) Wiederer
30) Letunov
31) Middleton, K*
32) Fitzgerald
33) Weinger*
34) Viel*
35) Fonteyne*
36) Reedy
37) Jackson
38) Weatherby

and using a 3-year weighted average

1) Merkley
2) Gambrell
3) Blichfeld
4) Chmelevski
5) Leonard
6) Chekhovich
7) DeSimone
8) Gregor
9) Dahlen
10) Wood

29) Martin
30) Weinger*
31) Cukste
32) Wiederer
33) Vela
34) Middleton, K*
35) Schoenborn
36) Jackson
37) Reedy
38) Weatherby (he's the only player for whom I only have a single year of data because I don't have conversion factors for the BCHL)

If I exclude the Cuda contracts, then Brodzinski and Fitzgerald fall into the 3-year bottom 10, while the current year's bottom 10 adds Schoenborn, Cukste, Ferraro (!), and Vela.

Last edited:

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Nem, did we pick up Gregors twin brother?

CHL-Update:

Gregor with 1g, 1a, +3 in an 8-0 win
Chekhovich 2g (GWG), 1a, 2nd star in a 4-3 win, now at 100 points on the season in 62 games
Chmelevski +2 in a 5-0 win
Blichfeld GWG, 2a (all on PP), 1st star in a 3-2 win

Last edited:
Reactions: StanleyCup2035

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Nem, did we pick up Gregors twin brother?

CHL-Update:

Gregor with 1g, 1a, +3 in an 8-0 win
Chekhovich 2g (GWG), 1a, 2nd star in a 4-3 win, now at 100 points on the season in 62 games
Chmelevski +2 in a 5-0 win
Blichfeld with 1a so far, game still going, update to come

Whoops. #8 on the 18-19 standings is supposed to be Gambrell. Thanks for the catch.

Funny enough though, Gregor does actually have an older brother. He spent last season playing out his over-age year for his hometown team in Alberta's Jr B league where he was the 5th leading scorer in the league and doesn't appear to have played anywhere this year

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Robinson's last game of the regular season a 0-4 loss with 20 saves.

On to the Hockey East Tournament against Umass Amherst (Leonard, Ferraro) who lost tonight 5-4 to UMASS.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The release on that shot was pretty nice and to go top corner from pretty close in. wow, could be a lethal shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad