Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
What does he keep doing to piss people off? And at what point does any of this sink in for him?

I have worked with kids that honestly lack the social cues to see how their actions affect others. They are not trying to be assholes, they just don't know better. Proper mentoring and accountability are key to their development.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't even understand what the issue is with Merkley. Nothing I hear about him even sounds that bad. It's like "a pain to be involved with' and that's about it but he gets treated like a bigger diva than Antonio Brown.

Reactions: themelkman

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I don't even understand what the issue is with Merkley. Nothing I hear about him even sounds that bad. It's like "a pain to be involved with' and that's about it but he gets treated like a bigger diva than Antonio Brown.

Merkley bring left off the Pete's camp roster is strange. But isn't there some other hotshot prospect on the same team that's requesting a trade? Seems like there's more going on with that team than just Merkley.

Reactions: themelkman

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The flipside of Merkley is just being practical in predicting. Unless a player was drafted in the top half of the 1st round, odds are better that he won't make a lasting career in the NHL.

I don't believe Merkley would have been a late 1st round pick if it wasn't for the Sharks. So, in reality, he's a 2nd or 3rd pick for the other 30 teams. That means greater odds he doesn't make it in the NHL.

Nothing wrong with rooting for Merkley, but conserve the hype until he gets some AHL games under his belt, and maybe an NHL appearance.

Switching to another Sharks player, Jones is taking a beating on the hockey writers/analyst circuit in both print and video media. Consensus seems to be that Jones is gone if he turns in another disappointing season.

I was thinking if that's the case, how much yearly cap hit will the Sharks have to retain. But then there's this:

Vasilevskiy - $9.5M
Bobrovsky - $10M
Price - $10.5M
Fluery - $7M
Lundqvist - $8.5M
Rask - $7M
Gibson - $6.4M
Hellebuyck - $6.167M
Holtby - $6.1M
Crawford - $6M
Schneider - $6M

That makes Jones appear rather cheap. Martin is ranked at # 12 in the league on cap hit. Close to the 50th percentile in terms of number of teams. To be at #31, Jones' cap hit would need to be $3.34M.

They probably will move Martin, if it comes to that, with little or no retaining. The crappy thing is that Jones has a M-NTC that's a 3-team only trade list. Jones should have been resigned at $5M, and without a NTC of any kind.

As I stated in our discussion during his acquisition, he's either great or bust, not much in between.

Inflation has hit the goalie salary market quite heavily.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The flipside of Merkley is just being practical in predicting. Unless a player was drafted in the top half of the 1st round, odds are better that he won't make a lasting career in the NHL.

I don't believe Merkley would have been a late 1st round pick if it wasn't for the Sharks. So, in reality, he's a 2nd or 3rd pick for the other 30 teams. That means greater odds he doesn't make it in the NHL.

Nothing wrong with rooting for Merkley, but conserve the hype until he gets some AHL games under his belt, and maybe an NHL appearance.
giphy.gif

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think the team has to look for a goalie of the future rather soon. Is there a goalie in the system that could step in and become the #1 goalie for the team?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
So if jones sucks we pretty much have to buy him out
Not necessarily. He could be the most expensive backup goalie in the league for three years.

Following scenario:

2019-2020: Just an awful season, worst ever, Sharks realize they need to move on long term.
2020-2021: Jones plays as starter, but more and more starts given to Korenar/Shortridge/Emond/whoever is doing well
2021-2022: Starter is Emond/Korenar/Shortridge, likely making 1-2 million, Jones is a very expensive back up
2022-2022: Same story
2023-2024: Buyout last contract year of Jones, give that money to whoever is our starting goalie

So really, that's a possibility as long as the starting goalie is cheap while still proving himself, then Jones can just be a stupid expensive backup until we buyout his last year and give that money to the new starter.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Is the depth more or less along this?
  1. Martin Jones
  2. Aaron Dell
  3. Josef Korenar
  4. Antoine Bibeau (?)
  5. Andrew Shortridge
  6. Zachary Émond
  7. Zach Sawchenko
  8. Mike Robinson

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Eh, not so much anymore.
Ive basically watched every episode up to season 13 multiple times. Might have watched the commentaries more than the episodes at this point actually. And I kept watching through my undergrad. But now, I haven't watched any since season 25ish.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
  1. Martin Jones
  2. Aaron Dell
  3. Josef Korenar
  4. Antoine Bibeau (?)
  5. Andrew Shortridge
  6. Zachary Émond
  7. Zach Sawchenko
  8. Mike Robinson
I don’t think it’s very clear, Shortridge has great NCAA numbers but we don’t know how it translates. Robinson was also pretty good last year for his team and I wouldn’t write him off yet

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
  1. Martin Jones
  2. Aaron Dell
  3. Josef Korenar
  4. Antoine Bibeau (?)
  5. Andrew Shortridge
  6. Zachary Émond
  7. Zach Sawchenko
  8. Mike Robinson

If we did move on from Dell this offseason, my guess would be that Bibeau becomes the backup, but that would be because of a combination of Bibeau now requiring waivers to send to the AHL, and also that it would give Korenar and Shortridge more ice time with the Barracuda.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Pronman on Hatakka's 4 Nations:

Pronman's NHL prospect impressions: U20 4 Nations, Hlinka...
  1. Santeri Hatakka (D, San Jose) was named the top defenseman at the 4 Nations. I didn’t think much of him in his draft season. I saw a mobile defender who competed well but I didn’t see any offense and he didn’t produce points. At the 4 Nations, he showed ability to jump up into the play and to make 1-on-1 plays with the puck, and showed good vision. I’m not saying the Sharks’ sixth-rounder is on the NHL track now, but I’m more intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad