Chmelevski +1 in a 3-2 loss
Chekhovich 1a, +1 in a 5-2 win
Edmond 36 saves in a 3-2 win
Merkley 2g, 1a, +1, 1st star in a 5-4 win

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bold prediction:

1-2 of Dell, Bibeau, and Edmond will be moved prior to the start of next season.

I strongly suspect that Chartier is not re-signed and that one of Gambrell, Suomela, and Goodrow is also moved. I suppose there is some for all the forwards if the Sharks don't keep Pavelski/Nyquist/Donskoi and trade Karlsson, but otherwise, there are going to be logistical issues.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Think that Brodinski and Schoenborn won't be QO'd and walk.

For sure...and I would bet that neither of them could even get an AHL contract next season. I suspect Fitzgerald might similarly be let go, though I think he could find a home in the NHL.

I imagine that DW will just do Chartier a favor and not qualify him. Some NHL team will sign him for some cheap depth.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
prospectsnapshot.jpeg

I captured the deets for the Sharks prospects.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
So the values to determine "p" on the chart hasn't been explained right because it looks like he just picked names out of a hat to order them.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So the values to determine "p" on the chart hasn't been explained right because it looks like he just picked names out of a hat to order them.
They're at the hockey analytics conference right now so he just presented the pNHL stuff yesterday but I think its based on the data from his website prospect-stats.com. So hopefully there's a more detailed written explanation online in the near future. Just thought it was fun.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Some of that looks fair, but there are some weird ones. I agree with Patty that without any reasonable explanation of how we get to P or what it means from a practical standpoint it's hard to really get a handle on what makes this list tick.

My first-blush thoughts are that Gregoire is much too high and Middleton, Dahlen, True, and Suomela are too low. If making it is at least getting a serious audition period, they all seem like reasonably strong bets. Wood might be a touch high as well. He's got offensive skill, but I remember mixed reviews on his skating and especially in the current and future NHL playstyle.

But of course I'm not a pro scout and these are hunches and suppositions from what I've seen and what I've read.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Some of that looks fair, but there are some weird ones. I agree with Patty that without any reasonable explanation of how we get to P or what it means from a practical standpoint it's hard to really get a handle on what makes this list tick.

My first-blush thoughts are that Gregoire is much too high and Middleton, Dahlen, True, and Suomela are too low. If making it is at least getting a serious audition period, they all seem like reasonably strong bets. Wood might be a touch high as well. He's got offensive skill, but I remember mixed reviews on his skating and especially in the current and future NHL playstyle.

But of course I'm not a pro scout and these are hunches and suppositions from what I've seen and what I've read.

Gregoire has only played 18 games, maybe thats why we're all so thrown off haha

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Gregoire has only played 18 games, maybe thats why we're all so thrown off haha

That's gotta be it. It has to be just isolated AHL stats and not factoring in anything else. That would also explain some of the other quirks like Suomela getting hosed (his run in the AHL this year has been poor), or True (he was mediocre last year and broke out this year) or Dahlen (who'd been underperforming in Utica)

Gregoire had some nice Q seasons, but it's not enough to hitch my wagon to at this point.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
U guys think sjs signs cukste?

Highly doubt it. Like almost 0% chance. He's one of the string of Gage Ausmus/Cliff Watson/Mark Shoemaker type bad late-round d-man picks the Sharks made in a run from like 2012-2016.

He doesn't need to sign until next summer though. He's still got 1 more season of college to go.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's been a week, so I've updated my data model to see how the prospects are doing. (arrows after indicate change from last week. Horizontal are no change, up or down are spots risen/fallen with amount. So ▼2 would mean the player's rank decreased 2 from last week. Chances are nobody really moves that much since we're doing season-long trend tracking at the end of the season, but the data's there so I might as well provide it)

This time, however, I am going to exclude the Cuda contracts from the numerical rankings, just noting them below the list

THIS SEASON
Top 10

1) Merkley (◄►)
2) Blichfeld (◄►)
3) DeSimone (◄►)
4) Chekhovich (▲1)
5) Chmelevski (▼1)
6) Gregor (◄►)
7) True (▲3)
8) Leonard (▼1)
9) Wood (◄►)
10) Gambrell (▼2)

Nobody fell out of the top 10, just re-ordered.

Bottom 10
29) Cukste (▲1)
30) Ferraro (▲1)
31) Letunov (▲3)
32) Schoenborn (▼3)
33) Wiederer (◄►)
34) Vela (▼2)
35) Fitzgerald (◄►)
36) Reedy (◄►)
37) Jackson (◄►)
38) Weatherby (◄►)

Barracuda contracts omitted: K.Middleton, Weinger, Viel, Fonteyne
And again, there were no additions/subtractions, just some shuffling.

3-YEAR WEIGHTED AVERAGE
Top 10

1) Merkley (◄►)
2) Gambrell (◄►)
3) Blichfeld (◄►)
4) DeSimone (▲3)
5) Chekhovich (▲1)
6) Chmelevski (▼2)
7) Gregor (▲1)
8) Leonard (▼3)
9) Dahlen (◄►)
10) Wood (◄►)

Bottom 10
29) McGrew (N/R)
30) Fitzgerald (◄►)
31) Cukste (▲1)
32) Martin (▼1)
33) Wiederer (◄►)
34) Vela (◄►)
35) Schoenborn (◄►)
36) Reedy (▲1)
37) Jackson (▼1)
38) Weatherby* (◄►)

Brodzinski managed to slide up a slot to get outside of the bottom 10, knocking McGrew into place.

*Weatherby only has the 1 year of data, so his last place position is entirely based on how awful he is this season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
WHL playoff scenarios are shaking out now as teams play their last couple games.

Relevant to us is that the 2/3 matchup in the US division will be a battle of the Sharks prospects as Blichfeld and Portland are set to face Jake McGrew and the Spokane Chiefs.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
CHL-3-day-Update

Chekhovich with 1a, +1 in a 2-1 win

Chmelevski and Merkley went head-to-head in back-to-backs:
Game 1 3-2 67s in OT
Chmelevski 1a, +2
Merkley 1g, +1

Game 2 saw the Petes win 3-2 in OT
Chmelevski 1g, -2, named 3rd star
Merkley 1a, +1

Gregor with 1g, -1 in a 3-2 loss
Edmond with 18 saves in an 8-0 win, named 1st star
Chekhovich 1g, 2a, +1, named 2nd star in a 6-4 win

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Joachim Blichfeld currently leads the WHL in Goals and Points, and barring a last-day surge from a handful of players across the country, could very well finish the season leading the entire CHL in scoring.

He can't capture the CHL goal-scoring crown though unless he goes out and scores like 8 goals in the Winterhawks' last regular season game. :laugh:

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Joachim Blichfeld currently leads the WHL in Goals and Points, and barring a last-day surge from a handful of players across the country, could very well finish the season leading the entire CHL in scoring.

He can't capture the CHL goal-scoring crown though unless he goes out and scores like 8 goals in the Winterhawks' last regular season game. :laugh:

How is his chances for a couple of games next season? I know that Sharks are loaded in offensive, so dont know how realistic it is to see him, but all of you know way better than me.

I would also like to know what have changed with him compared to the prior two seasons. How come he has exploded in points? Is it because of better linemates or has he simply progressed that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->