Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If I see DW again I'll tell him to make sure Chekhovich is one of the last Cuda cuts for that reason :laugh:

Say 1st cuts. Last cuts tells him he is close just not yet there. Being one of the 1st cuts means the sharks see nothing new about him lol.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Looking at the AHL team, True appears to be having a great season. At his age, those numbers point to future bottom-6 NHLer. On the flip side, the numbers of players like Letunov, Praplan, Halbgewachs, and now Suomela are not inspiring.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Looking at the AHL team, True appears to be having a great season. At his age, those numbers point to future bottom-6 NHLer. On the flip side, the numbers of players like Letunov, Praplan, Halbgewachs, and now Suomela are not inspiring.
I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone here, but Roy Sommer constantly removes and inserts different players into his lineup, and he changes his lines before every game. It's kind of weird. Only True, McCarthy, Wood and Viel have played every game this season. Everyone else has been pulled out the lineup even if they weren't injured.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
  • Praplan, fully agree. Pretty sure he'll be going back to Europe after this season.
  • Letunov & Suomela both have only one year left on the contract.
    • Shovels deserves another shot at playing Center with the Sharks before that contract expires.
    • Letunov is two years younger, but doesn't look like he ll get a shot this year. With other players ahead of him on the depth chart, not sure if he'll give it another year with the Cuda.
  • Halbgewachs is another year younger than Letunov, and still is on contract for another year. While he won't get a shot this year, I wouldn't count his chances out yet.
  • True's number look intriguing for sure. 2.5 years left on contract too, yay! I think everyone would be happy to see him get a shot to play with the Sharks for a couple of games.
For anyone watching the Cuda's games, how do you rank these centers given what you've seen so far?
Suomela, Chartier, Gambrell (contract expiring), True, etc.?

Looking at some all-time PPG numbers for recent Cuda forwards, 20 games minimum:

Caveat: These are not age-adjusted!
PlayerPPGNotes
Labanc 1.1NHL regular
Perron0.96That's the current season with the Cuda, his AHL all-time average would be 0.49.
O'Regan 0.88On Buffalo's farm team.
Gambrell0.86Got 5 games with the Sharks so far.
Goldobin0.8NHL regular with the Canucks
Sörensen 0.79NHL regular
Carpenter 0.78NHL regular with Vegas
Balcers0.71On Ottawa's AHL affiliate, scoring at same rate.
Goodrow0.71NHL regular
Halbgewachs0.63
Chartier0.61Stronger on his 11 games with the Cuda this season though (0.81). Contract expiring, RFA.
Praplan0.57
True0.54Much stronger this season though (0.82).
Letunov0.5Contract expiring, RFA.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Just as an anecdote, Radil was on 0.55 (albeit in only 11 games, super small sample size). Watching him now on the Sharks, and looking at the expected numbers from converting his performances in the KHL confirms that those were not telling the whole tale of what he can bring to an NHL team.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
  • Praplan, fully agree. Pretty sure he'll be going back to Europe after this season.
  • Letunov & Suomela both have only one year left on the contract.
    • Shovels deserves another shot at playing Center with the Sharks before that contract expires.
    • Letunov is two years younger, but doesn't look like he ll get a shot this year. With other players ahead of him on the depth chart, not sure if he'll give it another year with the Cuda.
  • Halbgewachs is another year younger than Letunov, and still is on contract for another year. While he won't get a shot this year, I wouldn't count his chances out yet.
  • True's number look intriguing for sure. 2.5 years left on contract too, yay! I think everyone would be happy to see him get a shot to play with the Sharks for a couple of games.
For anyone watching the Cuda's games, how do you rank these centers given what you've seen so far?

Looking at some all-time PPG numbers for recent Cuda forwards, 20 games minimum:

Caveat: These are not age-adjusted!
PlayerPPGNotes
Labanc 1.1NHL regular
Perron0.96That's the current season with the Cuda, his AHL all-time average would be 0.49.
O'Regan0.88On Buffalo's farm team.
Gambrell0.86Got 5 games with the Sharks so far.
Goldobin0.8NHL regular with the Canucks
Sörensen 0.79NHL regular
Carpenter 0.78NHL regular with Vegas
Balcers0.71On Ottawa's AHL affiliate, scoring at same rate.
Goodrow0.71NHL regular
Halbgewachs0.63
Chartier0.61Stronger on his 11 games with the Cuda this season though (0.81). Contract expiring, RFA.
Praplan0.57
True0.54Much stronger this season though (0.82).
Letunov0.5Contract expiring, RFA.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Just as an anecdote, Radil was on 0.55 (albeit in only 11 games, super small sample size). Watching him now on the Sharks, and looking at the expected numbers from converting his performances in the KHL confirms that those were not telling the whole tale of what he can bring to an NHL team.

The issue with AHL numbers is that there are vast differences between team quality that is going to significantly affect a player's production. Goldobin put up what he did on a terrible team with very little support. Labanc, Perron, and Gambrell are producing on what might be the best team in the AHL.

Reactions: NiWa

wishman

Jan 20, 2007

In the 4-5 games I've seen of the Barracuda, Gambrell has stood out to me the most. Seems his skill is a step above everyone else. I'm not sure he has enough detail in his overall game to be a Center at the NHL level, but I think he could be solid Top 9 winger with the Sharks sooner than later.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
The issue with AHL numbers is that there are vast differences between team quality that is going to significantly affect a player's production. Goldobin put up what he did on a terrible team with very little support. Labanc, Perron, and Gambrell are producing on what might be the best team in the AHL.
Age is the other big factor not accounted for here.
For some Europeans it could be first games on the different rink size as well so that skews the small sample sizes even more.
In the 4-5 games I've seen of the Barracuda, Gambrell has stood out to me the most. Seems his skill is a step above everyone else. I'm not sure he has enough detail in his overall game to be a Center at the NHL level, but I think he could be solid Top 9 winger with the Sharks sooner than later.
Glad to hear that.
Would be great, especially if we are bundling any of our current wingers with another player in a deal.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Is Blichfield the real deal? Stats are very impressive and he looks to have a killer wrister, but I haven’t ever watched him outside of a few highlights.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is Blichfield the real deal? Stats are very impressive and he looks to have a killer wrister, but I haven’t ever watched him outside of a few highlights.

His point totals are inflated because he's an overager in the whl, but Ive liked what I've seen from him for the past 3 years, provided he shores up his biggest weakness (strength)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
His point totals are inflated because he's an overager in the whl, but Ive liked what I've seen from him for the past 3 years, provided he shores up his biggest weakness (strength)
Now Nem, you know that Blichfeld is the Danish Elias Pettersson. Weight is not a prerequisite.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Copying this from Reddit:

As of right now, the WHL scoring leader, the QMJHL scoring leader, the OHL scoring leader among defensemen, and the QMJHL sv% and GAA leader among goalies with 10 or more games are all sharks draft picks.

renderTimingPixel.png

• Ivan Chekhovich leads the Q with 64 pts in 35 games. He was drafted in the 7th round in 2017
  • Joachim blichfeld leads the W with 72 pts in 37 games. He was drafted in the 7th round in 2016
  • Ryan Merkley leads the O in defensman scoring with 42 pts in 32 games. He was drafted 21st overall in 2018
  • Zachary emond has a 1.79 GAA and .935 sv% in 14 games. He was drafted in the 6th round in 2018

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

I've seen some people talking up Praplan and I'm not sure what they've been looking at. He got healthy scratched (as far as I know) for a few games over these last couple weeks, and deservedly so IMO. He's a weird player- he's not very good at passing the puck. Not as in he's a puck hog, as in his passes often don't seem to go where you'd assume he wanted them to. Plays just kept dying on his stick from random turnovers. They finally brought him back last game and he scored two goals, so here's hoping he figures something out.

Speaking strictly from what I've seen in Barracuda games this season: Gambrell, True, Chartier, Suomela.

Suomela is not sticking out in any real way in the AHL. I thought he was going to try to prove to them they made a mistake sending him down. Instead he... just sort of blends into the scenery. He's not bad by any stretch, but he's not convincing me he needs to be called back up ASAP through his play in these games.

I posted here a couple times wondering why Radil got the callup, and he's really showing me. It's been great. He's got a lot more tools at his disposal than what he showed in the AHL. That, along with Suomela looking less impressive than some of his teammates down here, really made me wonder what the rest of these guys could do, given the opportunity. There's just no space available to give them one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad