Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
You know what is sad about the whole Merkley situation. If a player with his skill was an established NHL player with that level of skill and making the mistakes he is, his punishment would be to get more game time and figure them out. Not being healthy scratched.

Nah, I don't think so

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004

Probably safe

If we trade Chmelevski, DW will regret it.

Wilson won't be that desperate to throw him into a deal knowing full well that, currently, his perceived value from other GM's is much lower than his actual value.

If Wilson was to ever include Sasha into a package, the off-season would make the most amount of sense. By then, Chmelevski's value would be higher (than now) and teams could be looking into a different direction depending how their season ends.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, I did not see any of these red flags either during training camp and preseason. The one bad thing I saw from him was a shift, I think on the PK, where he was completely gassed and got hemmed in his own zone for a while. His conditioning clearly needs improvement if he wants to be up to par at the NHL level, but that’s fine and not an uncommon issue for an 18 year old like him.

Oh yeah for sure he has stuff to work on, I certainly was not trying to say he does not, but the "red flags" were not there at all IMO. Benching a kid in the CHL on a seemingly um mediocre team, for turnovers is just silly. But I am no coach, nor do I watch minor hockey, so maybe that happens a lot there.

If that were true in the NHL however, Burns would have been benched a million times already for some of the absolutely horrible turnovers he makes from dumb decisions, and plenty of times he has looked "disengaged or lazy" in the defensive zone. Yet no one claims Burns has effort issues or attitude issues, they just leave it at "hes not great defensively", even if that is not entirely accurate. It just seems weird to me is all.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It may be that Merkley is being punished not for making mistakes, but for the way he's handling those mistakes. For example, people were upset with Ken Hitchcock not giving Nikita Filatov room to grow and improve as he constantly made defensive mistakes. It came out later than Filatov was incredibly hostile towards Hitchcock and not willing to change his game.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It is likely the nature of mistakes that Merkely is making. In the video, he was the last guy back and tried to make a cute play with the puck by tryung to beat he defender 1:1 rather than the safe play. Being irresponsible with the puck with no support and bad pinches are 2 things that d-men often do that really frustrates coaches. Given the type of player he is, I can envision a scenario where he has repeatedly made that sort of mistake such that a benching may be warranted.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Chmelevski eligible for the AHL next season?

ETA: I think he might have been eligible already being USA born, correct?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Chmelevski eligible for the AHL next season?

ETA: I think he might have been eligible already being USA born, correct?

Nothing to do with being US-born. U-20’s are only eligible for the AHL if they are drafted before they play in the CHL.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Nothing to do with being US-born. U-20’s are only eligible for the AHL if they are drafted before they play in the CHL.

Drafted-from-CHL players can also play in AHL **after** their season is done (as happened last spring with the CH twins salvaging that 1% chance of making the playoffs with an unbelievable run to clinch playoff berth).

If a player is committed to NCAA college or playing in Europe and NHL drafted from there, they could play in AHL before age 20.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I almost wish Merkley got a chance to play in the NHL, even for a few games at the start of the season. With mentors like our team has, I think he would’ve learned more in 9 games than in a full season where he’s at now.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I almost wish Merkley got a chance to play in the NHL, even for a few games at the start of the season. With mentors like our team has, I think he would’ve learned more in 9 games than in a full season where he’s at now.

Since his junior team isn't going anywhere this season, he'll likely get some time with the Barracuda this season similar to ch-twins last season.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

He is 10,000 miles from being an NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad