Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Has anybody watched Chmelevski play? He seems to be heating up now

Strenghts, weaknesses, ceiling?
From what some pro scouts say, he should have top six potential. Can not remember who, but one of the big hockey writers said it was absolutely criminal he was taken so late

Captain Serious

Aug 20, 2010
I usually am pretty pessimistic about sharks prospects but Mario Ferraro is looking pretty promising. Can anyone who watches him chime in?

He's scoring at the same pace as Cale Makar (4th overall pick) on the same team. The only hockey east defenseman from the 2017 draft that's been scoring better is Gildon (Florida pick).

How does he play and what can we expect from him in the future?

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
I mean it's important to know that Ferraro was literally two days away from being eligible for the 2016 draft. So he's like the greybeard of his draft class. He's got a substantial amount of time compared to other prospects from his class when it comes to training and growing. However, even if you were to look at this season as his draft +2 year or simply as a 19 year old freshman playing div-1 NCAA hockey, it is very impressive.

Reactions: Led Zappa

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Nah this was Ferraro's last year of eligibility since he was a late birthday.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Zach DeVine put out his top 20 prospect list for the Sharks:

1) Gambrell
2) Balcers
3) Norris
4) Middleton
5) Wiederer
6) Halbgewachs
7) Blichfeld
8) Bergman
9) Fitzgerald
10) Reedy
11) Chartier
12) Gregor
13) Roy
14) Helewka
15) Ferraro
16) Chmelevski
17) Korenar
18) Sandberg
19) DeSimone
20) Letunov

With the Barracuda already raided, a look down the line at...

Initial thoughts are:
  • Reedy's getting a lot of benefit of the doubt in spite of a poor season relative to some of the lower names on the list.
  • There's a definite Cuda bias over the amateur guys.
  • #MaximumRudyHype
  • Gregor and Ferraro seem the most underrated
  • Wiederer and Middleton seem the most overrated.
  • I'm not entirely sure what the criteria are for ranking (ceiling, floor, closeness to the NHL, etc)
This list is so bad. I don’t know what Devine values when rating prospects but this just awful. Ferraro and Chmelevsk should both be top 10 if not top 5 (especially in Ferraro’s case). Middleton at #4? No. Reedy above Gregor and the others I’ve mentioned? C’mon.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I usually am pretty pessimistic about sharks prospects but Mario Ferraro is looking pretty promising. Can anyone who watches him chime in?

He's scoring at the same pace as Cale Makar (4th overall pick) on the same team. The only hockey east defenseman from the 2017 draft that's been scoring better is Gildon (Florida pick).

How does he play and what can we expect from him in the future?

I’ve seen him 5 times this year and I’m personally very impressed. He is very solid in both ends of the ice. Pronman doesn’t like his offensive upside, but I disagree. I think he shows plenty of ability to QB the PP and good offensive instincts. I really like his work ethic too. Many times he looks as good as Makar, but Makar has an extra gear that when he kicks in is just on another level from most players in college hockey.

He almost made team Canada in the WJC which says a lot about how others are rating his game.

I really think Ferraro is our best Dman prospect and I would bet on him developing into a top 4 Dman.

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
I’ve seen him 5 times this year and I’m personally very impressed. He is very solid in both ends of the ice. Pronman doesn’t like his offensive upside, but I disagree. I think he shows plenty of ability to QB the PP and good offensive instincts. I really like his work ethic too. Many times he looks as good as Makar, but Makar has an extra gear that when he kicks in is just on another level from most players in college hockey.

He almost made team Canada in the WJC which says a lot about how others are rating his game.

I really think Ferraro is our best Dman prospect and I would bet on him developing into a top 4 Dman.

How are his knees ? Better then Roy's I hope...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
How are his knees ? Better then Roy's I hope...
I am actually pretty disappointed about the whole Roy situation. Not in the kid but just how his last few years have ended up being for him. He seemed to be turning things around a bit on the Cuda this season (8 points in 20 games) and then got hurt again. Can't even imagine what all is going through his mind.

Hopefully his knee can make a recovery and he can get back into the swing of things next season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I am actually pretty disappointed about the whole Roy situation. Not in the kid but just how his last few years have ended up being for him. He seemed to be turning things around a bit on the Cuda this season (8 points in 20 games) and then got hurt again. Can't even imagine what all is going through his mind.

Hopefully his knee can make a recovery and he can get back into the swing of things next season.

That seems to be the story of his career. He plays well, he gets hurt. He comes back, looks rusty, starts to play well, gets hurt.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jayden H. officially has someone in his rearview mirror for the WHL goal-scoring lead. Vancouver Giant (and NYR draftee) Ty Ronning scored a pair of goals tonight to pull within 2 of Halbgewachs, breaking Evander Kane's single-season franchise goal-scoring record in the process.

I wonder if it's too late to throw something at the Rangers to get his rights, considering they have yet to sign him to a contract and all...

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Halbgewachs with an assist
Gregor with an assist
Blichfeld with a goal
Kupsky with 30 saves in a 3-1 win
Letunov with a goal
Jackson with an assist
Ferraro with 2 assists

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Halbgewachs with an assist
Blichfeld with an assist
Gregor with 2 goals and 1 assist on 10 shots
Chmelevski with a goal and an assist
Vela with a goal and an assist
Kupsky with 35 saves in a 2-1 win
Cukste with an assist
Reedy with an assist

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
Leafs fan here just giving an update on your prospect Sasha Chmelevski.

First off still no idea how he went so late, he's a top 3 round talent. If it was because of "character issue" I'll just say this: there is no issue.

He is a threat to score every shift whether it be with his speed, hands or shot, backchecks hard which I was surprised about and I literally just watched him block a shot with his face.

Ottawa was down 3-0 against Owen Sound and came back to win 4-3. Sasha had the tying and winning goal from absolute snipes, and blocked the shot with his face on a sure goal to preserve the lead after putting the 67's up.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Leafs fan here just giving an update on your prospect Sasha Chmelevski.

First off still no idea how he went so late, he's a top 3 round talent. If it was because of "character issue" I'll just say this: there is no issue.

He is a threat to score every shift whether it be with his speed, hands or shot, backchecks hard which I was surprised about and I literally just watched him block a shot with his face.

Ottawa was down 3-0 against Owen Sound and came back to win 4-3. Sasha had the tying and winning goal from absolute snipes, and blocked the shot with his face on a sure goal to preserve the lead after putting the 67's up.

He didn't get hurt, did he? :laugh: Thanks for the update! We're super excited about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad