Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Leafs fan here just giving an update on your prospect Sasha Chmelevski.

First off still no idea how he went so late, he's a top 3 round talent. If it was because of "character issue" I'll just say this: there is no issue.

He is a threat to score every shift whether it be with his speed, hands or shot, backchecks hard which I was surprised about and I literally just watched him block a shot with his face.

Ottawa was down 3-0 against Owen Sound and came back to win 4-3. Sasha had the tying and winning goal from absolute snipes, and blocked the shot with his face on a sure goal to preserve the lead after putting the 67's up.

Fell in the draft? Ottawa 67? Puck to the face?

Confirmed Couture 2.0 :sarcasm:

Reactions: dominicmoore19

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Leafs fan here just giving an update on your prospect Sasha Chmelevski.

First off still no idea how he went so late, he's a top 3 round talent. If it was because of "character issue" I'll just say this: there is no issue.

He is a threat to score every shift whether it be with his speed, hands or shot, backchecks hard which I was surprised about and I literally just watched him block a shot with his face.

Ottawa was down 3-0 against Owen Sound and came back to win 4-3. Sasha had the tying and winning goal from absolute snipes, and blocked the shot with his face on a sure goal to preserve the lead after putting the 67's up.
I don't really follow the OHL but I was looking at the stats for the 67's and Chmelevski is the team leader in points by a fair margin (9 points). Are the 67's not an offensively skilled team? Or is Sasha that much better than his teammates? Or both?

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
I don't really follow the OHL but I was looking at the stats for the 67's and Chmelevski is the team leader in points by a fair margin (9 points). Are the 67's not an offensively skilled team? Or is Sasha that much better than his teammates? Or both?

67's are not really a good team and have not been for awhile. If Chmelevski was surrounded by even remotely decent players, he would be putting up almost two points a game. He is their offence for the most part.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
67's are not really a good team and have not been for awhile. If Chmelevski was surrounded by even remotely decent players, he would be putting up almost two points a game. He is their offence for the most part.

At his age that production level would be exciting

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Chekhovich with 2 goals and an assist
Halbgewachs with 2 goals and 2 assists
Gregor with a goal and an assist
McGrew with a goal

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Wonder which of our prospects have a real chance to play for the Cuda next year? I am thinking:

Gregor
Blichfield
Chmelevski

I don't know if Gambrell or Ferraro will want to leave college yet.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Wonder which of our prospects have a real chance to play for the Cuda next year? I am thinking:

Gregor
Blichfield
Chmelevski

I don't know if Gambrell or Ferraro will want to leave college yet.

Chmelevski won't be old enough to leave the ohl yet. It's his age 19 season next year.

And if gsmbrell goes back for another year he becomes a FA afterward. Not ideal

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Not exactly. NHL teams hold their rights until 8/15 after graduation. Players can choose to go UFA, but Sharks have never not signed their guys (they wanted).

With so many holes to fill, players do have opportunity to play in NHL.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ah. That sucks.

Yeah. It's how we end up with some of that handful of NCAA free agents every year like Alex Kerfoot or Justin Schultz or Danny DeKeyser. Some of those graduating FAs were undrafted late-bloomers, but a bunch are often guys who were drafted and simply chose to wait out their rights so they could be free agents.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
The thing that sucks about Gambrell is that he wasn't a first-round pick. So even if he decides to not sign with us, we won't be compensated with a second-round pick, like what happened with Hayes and Chicago.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If you sign the contract do you have to stop playing for college? Is that why some college students will not sign the contract?

Yeah. NCAA eligibility rules are suuuuper strict. Even playing games in the CHL is enough to invalidate your NCAA eligibility, in spite of the fact that major junior is considered an amateur league and the players don't draw a salary (just a stipend/per diem).

It's why you sometimes see NCAA guys leave college and go to the CHL (though often because they've violated academic requirements or have done something dumb to get kicked off their team. Or sometimes just because they want more playing time/a different system), but you never see anyone who's elected to go to the CHL bail on that and choose the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad