Confirmed with Link: Sharks officially name Bob Boughner as Head Coach

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Alright now that we have confirmed Boughner, let's make bets on how long it takes for us to turn on him. I'm gonna say with 3 months into the season. So like around game 34.

Also, Sheng w/ the article Boughner, Thompson & Madden on What They’re Adding to Sharks

How long it takes depends on the team that DW gives Boogie. If it's more or less the same team that we saw last year but with some tweaks to replace the likes of Dillon, Melker, and Dell with similar caliber players then I won't care too much about Boogie as I would for DW's job. But if DW actually makes big moves to make the team better and fill the spots he needs to with quality talent for the role then I could see it being three months if nothing has changed. I doubt the latter happens though.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Boughner is in a good spot. He'll get credit if he turns it around. He has an out if they don't since he didn't pick the assistants. lol
Sharks are good about putting people im good situations. They don't blindside players or coaches, which is why you never hear anything bad after they leave.

Well, maybe besides Burish, but who cares what he thinks lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Sharks are good about putting people im good situations. They don't blindside players or coaches, which is why you never hear anything bad after they leave.

Well, maybe besides Burish, but who cares what he thinks lol

Burish also believed he was still wanted in the league and that the sharks would regret letting him go. Only for him to never play in the nhl again, and only 2 more seasons ever in the swedish league.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Burish also believed he was still wanted in the league and that the sharks would regret letting him go. Only for him to never play in the nhl again, and only 2 more seasons ever in the swedish league.
Because the sharks failed their job at developing him like the elite young talent that he was.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I like the staff for many of the reasons already highlighted. Bob's done what he can do up to free agent, hopefully he's given Wilson his list of requirements. Now it's up to Wilson. Go get two top 6 forwards and a quality bottom pair d-man. At least one of those really needs to be a bargain basement pickup (probably from Europe). We could really use another Donskoi and Simek for a combined $1.5M.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I like the staff for many of the reasons already highlighted. Bob's done what he can do up to free agent, hopefully he's given Wilson his list of requirements. Now it's up to Wilson. Go get two top 6 forwards and a quality bottom pair d-man. At least one of those really needs to be a bargain basement pickup (probably from Europe). We could really use another Donskoi and Simek for a combined $1.5M.
I don't think it'll be too difficult to make quality additions this year with the cap space we have. We have about $14m in cap space. The only player we need to re-sign that will take a significant amount of cap space is Labanc and Noesen which will probably come in at ~$4m. Then after that, the major holes are top 9 forwards like you said, a depth defenseman, and a backup goalie. I would guess ~$2m for goalie and defenseman and that leaves $8m for forwards. Which is either gonna be enough for a bonafide top 6 and low end 3rd liner or 2 solid top 9 forwards. I think it's doable but there's a lot of finessing to do there.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I know every one wants a veteran backup, but i would prefer spending that extra mil+ on a forward and just go with a rookie goalie.
I think you can meet in the middle. I think Brian Elliott would be a very solid addition in net but coming off a downish season should only cost about $1.5 million. So basically $600k than someone like Melnichuk. As much as it pains me to say it though, I think Dell on a discount at $1 mil as the backup actually makes the most sense, but not sure the organization can sell that if it blows up again. Even though both made huge strides under Nabby and the new staff, hard to sell bringing back the worst tandem in the league over the past 2 seasons for another year when you have other options.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I know every one wants a veteran backup, but i would prefer spending that extra mil+ on a forward and just go with a rookie goalie.
This, I want the cheapest option in net. We either do decent with better forwards, Nabby coaching the goalies, and Boughner's new system. Or we get a top 5 draft pick. Both are ok in my book.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Given Jones recent struggles and the condensed schedule for the upcoming season, I think this would be a mistake. I hope we spend $2-3M on a competent 1B goalie and use a 60/40 split for starts.

But unless jones is going bye bye, which is highly doubtful. Then spending more on the goalies means less we can spend on forwards which is more of a pressing issue at the moment.

As i was saying all of last year while defending jones. Team plays like a team that knows what defense is then jones would be much better. Boom deboer gets fired, get a coach that preaches defense and cuts down on the stupid turn overs and odd man rushes and jones becomes nearly instantly better.

Now add a healthy team, and hopefully a deeper team upfront and jones i will make a prediction will be closer to .920 sv% then he is to the .900 mark next season.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Now add a healthy team, and hopefully a deeper team upfront and jones i will make a prediction will be closer to .920 sv% then he is to the .900 mark next season.

Even .905 as a team, without increasing shots allowed, would be extremely helpful. That'd be about 25 fewer goals over a full season, about 0.3 fewer per game, putting the team closer to Pittsburgh or Vegas in goals allowed. Just further limiting those breakaways and rushes saves some goals without the goaltending crew improving themselves, but if you can get even slight improvement out of Jones and his backup, the Sharks will be in decent shape defensively.

Improve the offense enough to score another 25 goals and you have a team with roughly the same success over a full season as Calgary or Nashville - good chance of a playoff berth, and then anything can happen. If you can add a top 6 winger, get a 18-19 Sorensen-quality season out of a third line winger (Leonard/Blichfeld/Chmelevski, perhaps), have Meier/Labanc play closer to 18-19 than 19-20, and keep Hertl/Karlsson healthy enough to play 75 games, you should be able to split the difference between the 18-19 and 19-20 teams offensively and have a 250-235 team with significant upside.

Basically, I think 250-235 GF-GA is well within reach, and something like 265-220 plausible if unlikely. Either way, that's a playoff team.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Digging through natural stat trick, a lot of the advanced numbers since the coaching swap are surprisingly encouraging

We still couldn't score for shit, but we became like a middle of the pack possession squad and had a PDO of .989, 6th lowest in the league

Are the Sharks gonna be good next season?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Even .905 as a team, without increasing shots allowed, would be extremely helpful. That'd be about 25 fewer goals over a full season, about 0.3 fewer per game, putting the team closer to Pittsburgh or Vegas in goals allowed. Just further limiting those breakaways and rushes saves some goals without the goaltending crew improving themselves, but if you can get even slight improvement out of Jones and his backup, the Sharks will be in decent shape defensively.

Improve the offense enough to score another 25 goals and you have a team with roughly the same success over a full season as Calgary or Nashville - good chance of a playoff berth, and then anything can happen. If you can add a top 6 winger, get a 18-19 Sorensen-quality season out of a third line winger (Leonard/Blichfeld/Chmelevski, perhaps), have Meier/Labanc play closer to 18-19 than 19-20, and keep Hertl/Karlsson healthy enough to play 75 games, you should be able to split the difference between the 18-19 and 19-20 teams offensively and have a 250-235 team with significant upside.

Basically, I think 250-235 GF-GA is well within reach, and something like 265-220 plausible if unlikely. Either way, that's a playoff team.
I agree with most of this but 250 goals for is a lot. Other than a couple seasons ago I don't think they've been over 250 more than a couple times in the teams history. only scored 237 the year they went to the cup final. Better path is to reduce goals to closer to 220 or less. That's going to be the best way to build a winning team IMO.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Digging through natural stat trick, a lot of the advanced numbers since the coaching swap are surprisingly encouraging

We still couldn't score for shit, but we became like a middle of the pack possession squad and had a PDO of .989, 6th lowest in the league

Are the Sharks gonna be good next season?
Optimistically... yes. But they have to add one scoring winger or center at a minimum. A legit top 6 player. Their biggest problem after BB took over was lack of scoring. I'm pretty confident at least 2 prospects will make the team and add enough to help the 3rd and 4th lines. If one develops into a top 6 player the team becomes a legit force. Of course this whole house of cards can be taken down with another injury (s) to the wrong player though.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
But unless jones is going bye bye, which is highly doubtful. Then spending more on the goalies means less we can spend on forwards which is more of a pressing issue at the moment.

As i was saying all of last year while defending jones. Team plays like a team that knows what defense is then jones would be much better. Boom deboer gets fired, get a coach that preaches defense and cuts down on the stupid turn overs and odd man rushes and jones becomes nearly instantly better.

I also thought it was foolish that so many people put most of the blame on Jones and Dell while the team was playing so poorly. I agree with you that Jones will likely be better with the team playing better in front of him. I just can’t look past the fact that when he was put under pressure, Jones fell off a cliff. Even with a the team playing a better defensive system we still have Karlsson, Burns, and maybe even Merkley on the ice. Those guys will give up odd man rushes. If Jones gets in a bad way, even for while, and we only have a rookie backup, the season will be lost. Plus, don’t look past the point I made about the condensed schedule. Lots of teams need money and are going to push for as many games as possible. That means lots of back to backs and probably 5 game weeks. If Jones is better, you don’t want to burn him out. I know we need help up front, but I think we need to spend a few bucks on a backup goalie too.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

If it's true the Sharks are looking at Kuemper I would think Jones is on his way out somehow. Unless they were getting Arizona to retain which doesn't make sense.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If it's true the Sharks are looking at Kuemper I would think Jones is on his way out somehow. Unless they were getting Arizona to retain which doesn't make sense.
A lot of publications seem to think we are heavily looking at buying Jones out, but I just don't think that is wise. Give him a chance to rebound under a new staff in a season where fans are going to be limited to nil anyway. It's not like Jones playing like crap is going to hurt ticket revenues that already don't exist in the first place. I understand moving on, but throwing 8 years of cap penalty plus more assets at a different goalie just does not seem like the way out from this mess. If he stinks next season, buy him out after expansion draft and save yourself a year of dead cap space.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Small sample size, but in 15 games and 892 minutes under Boughner, Martin Jones had a 90.63 sv%

League average was 91% last year, so still below average, but we were decimated by injuries, players were just getting used to the systems, and it is a lot better than the 89.09% he had in 26 games and 1448 minutes under Deboer

He was deployed as a backup, playing 7 less games and 419 minutes less than Dell in that timeframe, and the team in front of him played a lot better than they did in front of Dell while Aron still had better stats, but that is still a marked and measurable improvement

Guys, someone stop me before I get optimistic, I can't go through that again

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
A lot of publications seem to think we are heavily looking at buying Jones out, but I just don't think that is wise. Give him a chance to rebound under a new staff in a season where fans are going to be limited to nil anyway. It's not like Jones playing like crap is going to hurt ticket revenues that already don't exist in the first place. I understand moving on, but throwing 8 years of cap penalty plus more assets at a different goalie just does not seem like the way out from this mess. If he stinks next season, buy him out after expansion draft and save yourself a year of dead cap space.

I agree very much with the bold

I posted the Jones buyout breakdown in the offseason thread, and I'll just say that if we buyout Jones before the 2022 offseason then Doug needs to be fired

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I also thought it was foolish that so many people put most of the blame on Jones and Dell while the team was playing so poorly. I agree with you that Jones will likely be better with the team playing better in front of him. I just can’t look past the fact that when he was put under pressure, Jones fell off a cliff. Even with a the team playing a better defensive system we still have Karlsson, Burns, and maybe even Merkley on the ice. Those guys will give up odd man rushes. If Jones gets in a bad way, even for while, and we only have a rookie backup, the season will be lost. Plus, don’t look past the point I made about the condensed schedule. Lots of teams need money and are going to push for as many games as possible. That means lots of back to backs and probably 5 game weeks. If Jones is better, you don’t want to burn him out. I know we need help up front, but I think we need to spend a few bucks on a backup goalie too.
Not sure what pushing for games is going to do as far as teams needing money. Most likely not going to be fans paying for seats most if not all of next season. Maybe they can jack up the price of NHL package to help offset but games are going to be fanless like they are now.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If they are buying him out, DW is definitely moving forward with contending and you can bet Vlasic is on his way out too via a trade. Seems like a shit ton of cap room to eat for a very long time though as far as jones goes though. Frankly I just don't see it. They're better off retaining 2mil for the remainder of the contract in a trade than buying him out and being penalized for 8 (?) years.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Not sure what pushing for games is going to do as far as teams needing money. Most likely not going to be fans paying for seats most if not all of next season. Maybe they can jack up the price of NHL package to help offset but games are going to be fanless like they are now.
Less games = less TV money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad