Confirmed with Link: Sharks officially name Bob Boughner as Head Coach

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They could have shed cap instead like some other teams are doing

With our current cap situation we can't ice a playoff capable roster without spending to the cap, which would contradict DW's edict to compete

I'm not disagreeing with you, its just that it was never really in question that we would spend to the cap

Reactions: Sandisfan

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The biggest cap disasters on the Sharks pretty much aren't going anywhere, unless somehow DW cons someone into thinking that Vlasic is still a top pairing d-man.

After the Boedker trade, it wouldn’t surprise me lol. Burns would have been the one to move though imo.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The biggest cap disasters on the Sharks pretty much aren't going anywhere, unless somehow DW cons someone into thinking that Vlasic is still a top pairing d-man.
Depends how much DW has to retain. Vlasic at $5 million as a 2nd pairing and PK guy is not nearly the detriment that he is at $7 million. I think if DW retains on Vlasic that he would have a market for a deal, but it's unlikely that he's willing to waive his NMC to go anywhere but MTL and they're full at LD after the Edmundson deal.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I was already excited that Rocky Thompson was coming in as AC and presumably running the PP. But getting John Madden is awesome! Dude understands defensive play. I assume he'll coach the PK, and that has me giddy.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I did a double-take when one of the pieces I read about the hirings said John Madden is 47. It doesn't feel like it's been that long since he played.

Yes, I can still remember his rookie season. Him vs. Gomez.

Team in a cap crunch is spending to the cap?

tenor.gif

That 2010 Hawks Cup was a decade ago now

tenor.gif

Under the previous ownership group, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Sharks would have been shedding salary and in a dire fiscal situation. That's one thing to be happy about.

Reactions: WSS11

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Under the previous ownership group, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Sharks would have been shedding salary and in a dire fiscal situation. That's one thing to be happy about.

We are very lucky to have such a wealthy owner who wants to win, and I don't think data analytics is taking a particularly bad hit during the pandemic, so we're probably still gonna have the okay to spend big going forward

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Preds fan coming in peace here.

Great hire guys!! Bougs is going to be exactly what you guys need! He’s an excellent coach and I’m envious big time!
Congrats!!
I think most of us feel the same, hes done good work when hes with us, hopefully he can make the adjustment to full time head coach better than last time.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
This view has been countered by a number of deals to shed dead weight. It was nearly unanimous here that Heatley was immoveable... and yet he was dumped while returning an asset.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
This view has been countered by a number of deals to shed dead weight. It was nearly unanimous here that Heatley was immoveable... and yet he was dumped while returning an asset.

Fair enough, but Heatley was still a competent top-6er when he left the Sharks - he had 64 pts and he scored 53 his first year in MIN. And the asset that was returned was another questionable top-6er past his prime, with significant injury history.

I think Vlasic could potentially go in the right deal, but it won't be a slam dunk. We'd for sure have to take cap back or retain a significant amount.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Fair enough, but Heatley was still a competent top-6er when he left the Sharks - he had 64 pts and he scored 53 his first year in MIN. And the asset that was returned was another questionable top-6er past his prime, with significant injury history.

I think Vlasic could potentially go in the right deal, but it won't be a slam dunk. We'd for sure have to take cap back or retain a significant amount.

We would not. It all depends on what is offered. DW may include a couple b prospects or who knows what. Doubt the Sharks retain though. Defeats the purpose. They're going to need all the cap space they can get. Unless of course the plan is to move Vlasic, Jones AND Burns. That would open a whole host of options and obviously a hole on the right side.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
We would not. It all depends on what is offered. DW may include a couple b prospects or who knows what. Doubt the Sharks retain though. Defeats the purpose. They're going to need all the cap space they can get. Unless of course the plan is to move Vlasic, Jones AND Burns. That would open a whole host of options and obviously a hole on the right side.

If DW can get away with trading Vlasic without retaining salary or taking back a cap dump, I'll personally drive him to the airport.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If DW can get away with trading Vlasic without retaining salary or taking back a cap dump, I'll personally drive him to the airport.

I would take a cap dump back no problem. It's hard to find a cap dump worse than Vlasic from a value perspective.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I like Boughner a lot and the team seems to really buy into his vision. I think we would've been a different group had we been under him from the beginning of the year. Also thrilled about Nabby staying on as goalie coach...

I feel cautiously optimistic about the season -- like, I think we'll at least be more fun to watch, even if we're not a Cup-winning team. Now, if DW can swing two top six forwards somehow, I'd be thrilled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad