Confirmed with Link: Sharks officially name Bob Boughner as Head Coach

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Not sure what pushing for games is going to do as far as teams needing money. Most likely not going to be fans paying for seats most if not all of next season. Maybe they can jack up the price of NHL package to help offset but games are going to be fanless like they are now.

I think the next NHL season won't start until every arena in the league is allowed to operate with fans in some capacity, even 20% or so

This league is uniquely reliant on gate revenue to support itself, I think most owners would rather have an extended break from play and save themselves the operating costs of running games with no fans than try to force a season in with no fans in the stands

I bet we don't see NHL games until at least next spring, this cup final is going to precede a long break in play

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Small sample size, but in 15 games and 892 minutes under Boughner, Martin Jones had a 90.63 sv%

League average was 91% last year, so still below average, but we were decimated by injuries, players were just getting used to the systems, and it is a lot better than the 89.09% he had in 26 games and 1448 minutes under Deboer

He was deployed as a backup, playing 7 less games and 419 minutes less than Dell in that timeframe, and the team in front of him played a lot better than they did in front of Dell while Aron still had better stats, but that is still a marked and measurable improvement

Guys, someone stop me before I get optimistic, I can't go through that again

These are my concerns Re Jones also. Better under BB, I would have expected much better
than he did even with the new system and players on IR later in the season.

While I'm sure he's working to improve his game and I'm sure BB with have a training camp
and new systems implemented for the season. I still think we need a proven NHL level goalie as back up incase Jones game is shit again. I'm hoping we can get one on the cheap else we spend allot of cap on another goalie at the expense of forward depth/scoring.

So lets not to to optimistic until we see what kind of roster we have post draft and for
training camp. Right now we are no different from last season, perhaps healthy.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
These are my concerns Re Jones also. Better under BB, I would have expected much better
than he did even with the new system and players on IR later in the season.

While I'm sure he's working to improve his game and I'm sure BB with have a training camp
and new systems implemented for the season. I still think we need a proven NHL level goalie as back up incase Jones game is shit again. I'm hoping we can get one on the cheap else we spend allot of cap on another goalie at the expense of forward depth/scoring.

So lets not to to optimistic until we see what kind of roster we have post draft and for
training camp. Right now we are no different from last season, perhaps healthy.
Here's my thing. If the team doesn't add two top 6ers I say let ride

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A lot of publications seem to think we are heavily looking at buying Jones out, but I just don't think that is wise. Give him a chance to rebound under a new staff in a season where fans are going to be limited to nil anyway. It's not like Jones playing like crap is going to hurt ticket revenues that already don't exist in the first place. I understand moving on, but throwing 8 years of cap penalty plus more assets at a different goalie just does not seem like the way out from this mess. If he stinks next season, buy him out after expansion draft and save yourself a year of dead cap space.

I would be shocked if they buy Jones out. Too many years paying out for nothing that seems to go counter to how Hasso has wanted to run the team.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I would be shocked if they buy Jones out. Too many years paying out for nothing that seems to go counter to how Hasso has wanted to run the team.
Especially this year, a buyout would be extra dumb. You have a change in coaching and play system that could fix at least some of the problem. Will it or wont it? I don't know, but you have to give it a chance to succeed.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Digging through natural stat trick, a lot of the advanced numbers since the coaching swap are surprisingly encouraging

We still couldn't score for shit, but we became like a middle of the pack possession squad and had a PDO of .989, 6th lowest in the league

Are the Sharks gonna be good next season?

I agree. My view of the team last year going into the season was that they were an average team. Deboer was so bad that he torpedoed them into being the worst team in the league. Boughner managed to bring them back to being average even though the team he had to finish the season was way worse than what Deboer was working with.

edit: replied to the wrong comment lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan and Erep

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Small sample size, but in 15 games and 892 minutes under Boughner, Martin Jones had a 90.63 sv%

League average was 91% last year, so still below average, but we were decimated by injuries, players were just getting used to the systems, and it is a lot better than the 89.09% he had in 26 games and 1448 minutes under Deboer

He was deployed as a backup, playing 7 less games and 419 minutes less than Dell in that timeframe, and the team in front of him played a lot better than they did in front of Dell while Aron still had better stats, but that is still a marked and measurable improvement

Guys, someone stop me before I get optimistic, I can't go through that again

"It has been me every time. He took his season average from .891 to 8.96. And just in games that boughner coached he finished with a .906%. But if you do not count the rangers game, boughners 1st game after being promoted and with no practice time, the save % goes to .912."

Post from the other coaching job thread that i made.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
"It has been me every time. He took his season average from .891 to 8.96. And just in games that boughner coached he finished with a .906%. But if you do not count the rangers game, boughners 1st game after being promoted and with no practice time, the save % goes to .912."

Post from the other coaching job thread that i made.
Kurz article today regarding hist last 8 starts after he worked with Nabby while Dell started all the games...

"The result was Jones posting a .927 save percentage and 2.02 goals-against average in his final eight games"

I realize tiny sample size but that would be great.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks have a shit TV contract and I don't think the NHLs contract is that great compared to the other big sports.

Puts on BOH/BOS hat...

Yes, NHL has (WAY) less $$ on TV contracts compared to MLB (162 games/season/team), NBA (82) and NFL (18).

However, with so many fans "cutting the cord" (cable, satellite and going to streaming service - more a la carte), the new deal may not be as lucrative as some speculated a few years ago. (Yes, the NHL "makes it up" with getting licensing fees from those streaming games, either directly -- e.g., NHL.tv -- or indirectly -- Hulu, Sling that carry regional channels. But that really only works for teams outside of your local region; blackouts still happen.)

(My local team in NV is carried on a station that is NOT STREAMED. So I have to have cable or satellite to watch the games, unless on national TV. Plus, I cannot watch Randy call games against my local team as they are blacked out on Center Ice.)

Negotiations on new TV deal are on hold until next (20-21) season is set as the league has a lot of other (more pressing) things to work through.

Hat off.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Puts on BOH/BOS hat...

Yes, NHL has (WAY) less $$ on TV contracts compared to MLB (162 games/season/team), NBA (82) and NFL (18).

However, with so many fans "cutting the cord" (cable, satellite and going to streaming service - more a la carte), the new deal may not be as lucrative as some speculated a few years ago. (Yes, the NHL "makes it up" with getting licensing fees from those streaming games, either directly -- e.g., NHL.tv -- or indirectly -- Hulu, Sling that carry regional channels. But that really only works for teams outside of your local region; blackouts still happen.)

(My local team in NV is carried on a station that is NOT STREAMED. So I have to have cable or satellite to watch the games, unless on national TV. Plus, I cannot watch Randy call games against my local team as they are blacked out on Center Ice.)

Negotiations on new TV deal are on hold until next (20-21) season is set as the league has a lot of other (more pressing) things to work through.

Hat off.
BOH/BOS? You're comment reads kinda odd... You agree with my comment then say "however" it's actually worse than bad? The NHLs TV deal will likely suck compared to the other 3 for the foreseeable future just due to the fact most in the US don't realize it's really the best sport. :)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Business of Hockey. Business of Sports.

IIRC, NHL gets something like $550m/season currently. NFL gets $3B+. NBA gets $1B or more. MLB probably doesn't get more than $1B as the majority of income comes from REGIONAL games, not national.

EDIT
Reading Forbes and they claim NFL TV revenue is ~$7.5B.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Business of Hockey. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/fugus-business-of-sports.277/Business of Sports.

IIRC, NHL gets something like $550m/season currently. NFL gets $3B+. NBA gets $1B or more. MLB probably doesn't get more than $1B as the majority of income comes from REGIONAL games, not national.

EDIT
Reading Forbes and they claim NFL TV revenue is ~$7.5B.

Nhl gets 200 annually from nbc qnd 2.9 billion over 10 years. And i cant find the annually from rogers in canada but the 12 year term is 4.9 billion.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Kurz article today regarding hist last 8 starts after he worked with Nabby while Dell started all the games...

"The result was Jones posting a .927 save percentage and 2.02 goals-against average in his final eight games"

I realize tiny sample size but that would be great.

This is the teams hope for the season, that Jones game has been changed for the better
and that the team plays better in front of him. We will also need some pieces to make
a deep playoff run, etc. Starts with goaltending and team defence.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Isn't the sharks tv contract up next year or the year after, I feel like it's not that far away anymore

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
This is the teams hope for the season, that Jones game has been changed for the better
and that the team plays better in front of him. We will also need some pieces to make
a deep playoff run, etc. Starts with goaltending and team defence.
I think they should still bring in someone to challenge him for starts. Ideally an heir apparent instead of another broken down old dude. But I'm fine with however it shakes out as long as the position plays better than it has the last 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->