Confirmed with Link: Sharks officially name Bob Boughner as Head Coach

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I think they should still bring in someone to challenge him for starts. Ideally an heir apparent instead of another broken down old dude. But I'm fine with however it shakes out as long as the position plays better than it has the last 2 years.
I think the hope is that is Melnichuk or Emond, but the expectation is that is still a year or two away. An older veteran right now is just a placeholder for that.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think the hope is that is Melnichuk or Emond, but the expectation is that is still a year or two away. An older veteran right now is just a placeholder for that.
Oh I get that but I would rather they get someone young who's already proven they can play at the NHL level like Georgiev or there was another player guys were talking about here. Maybe he was from Edmonton or Vancouver? I can't remember the name... The scouting reports and enthusiasm here for Melnichuk sounds great but we don't really know for sure he's a legit option in the next year or 2 or at all. Like I said though, I'm fine with an old dude as long as he stays healthy and challenges Jones to stay on top of his game.

Last edited:

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Maybe he was from Edmonton or Vancouver?
You mean Demko? I don't remember the speculation you are talking about, but after his playoff performance he is probably not going anywhere, and certainly not at a price you should be willing to pay because of all they hype.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
You mean Demko? I don't remember the speculation you are talking about, but after his playoff performance he is probably not going anywhere, and certainly not at a price you should be willing to pay because of all they hype.
Yeah that's the kid. Agreed he's not going anywhere without an overpayment. Anyway there are others who are likely available.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
I haven't watched the Sharks in months so I might be wrong, but didn't the Sharks continued to lose terribly with this guy as interim? Just curious why so many people are happy with him being a permanent HC.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I haven't watched the Sharks in months so I might be wrong, but didn't the Sharks continued to lose terribly with this guy as interim? Just curious why so many people are happy with him being a permanent HC.
The general consensus is that the team played better under Boughner, especially defensively, but we were crippled by major injuries. The numbers tend to show as much, though the shortened season didn't allow for as much confirmation of the trend. Nabby was also able to get more out of Jones and Dell, though there is only so much he could do with very little time. Jones especially had by that time developed horrible habits. Many of us were hoping for a more drastic change in direction/system (I was among the group wanting a new direction), but are cautiously optimistic that BB can right the ship now that he'll be starting with a fresh and much more healthy group of players not to mention his own hand picked staff. So far the right things have been said and the assistants seem promising. Boughner is also a voice that the players respect and listen to after Pete had lost the room. If DW can supply him with the right players via ufa or trade then the optimism is probably warranted.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The general consensus is that the team played better under Boughner, especially defensively, but we were crippled by major injuries. The numbers tend to show as much, though the shortened season didn't allow for as much confirmation of the trend. Nabby was also able to get more out of Jones and Dell, though there is only so much he could do with very little time. Jones especially had by that time developed horrible habits. Many of us were hoping for a more drastic change in direction/system (I was among the group wanting a new direction), but are cautiously optimistic that BB can right the ship now that he'll be starting with a fresh and much more healthy group of players not to mention his own hand picked staff. So far the right things have been said and the assistants seem promising. Boughner is also a voice that the players respect and listen to after Pete had lost the room. If DW can supply him with the right players via ufa or trade then the optimism is probably warranted.
Yea, even in the best situations, most teams don't do too well when their top 2C and their top D-men go down at the same time and are out for long periods of time. It's kind of an interesting situation in that it's not so much the Boughner hiring that is particularly exciting, it's his AC hirings that are generating the hype.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Great post. I too am excited about a full season with a fully healthy team with Boughner as HC, Rocky Thompson and John Madden as ACs, and Nabby as goaltending coach.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
What is the incentive for the station to negotiate?

They pay barely any money, to broadcast the sharks.
Hell, he can give Comcast a 20% discount on SAP software and they are good to go

I mean it's not Oracle but it's close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad