Confirmed with Link: Sharks officially name Bob Boughner as Head Coach

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If DW can get away with trading Vlasic without retaining salary or taking back a cap dump, I'll personally drive him to the airport.
Similar things were said about trading Heatley.

EDIT: Obviously I didn't remember Havlat got bought out. Point still stands in regards to Heater though.

Last edited:

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Boughner is in a good spot. He'll get credit if he turns it around. He has an out if they don't since he didn't pick the assistants. lol

From this article Wilson on Bringing Back Boughner, Bringing in Thompson & Madden

“It’s not just Bob, it’s the type of staff that he built around him. When Boogie presented it to me, and we looked at it, I said you know what? I think you really acquired the right people with the ingredients you said you were going to find,” Wilson said.

Sounds like Boughner did pick the assistants. Also, I like this a lot. DW made him prove he had a vision for structure of the team going forward before hiring him.

Reactions: ChompChomp

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I’m really happy Nabby is staying as the goalie coach.
I feel sooo bad for Nabby. Jones is past it as an NHL starter, and Dell was never going to be an NHL starter. This is the year to go get a stud goalie with Markstrom, Lehner, etc. available, but the Sharks' cap situation means they likely have to stay with the goalies they have.

I did a double-take when one of the pieces I read about the hirings said John Madden is 47. It doesn't feel like it's been that long since he played.
Time waits for nobody. I still remember when Marleau was a freaking Sharks rookie!!!

We would not. It all depends on what is offered. DW may include a couple b prospects or who knows what. Doubt the Sharks retain though. Defeats the purpose. They're going to need all the cap space they can get. Unless of course the plan is to move Vlasic, Jones AND Burns. That would open a whole host of options and obviously a hole on the right side.
If DW can accomplish the bolded, he wins GM of the Century! DW is lucky Jason Botterill was a GM in the league since Botts wins the "worst" GM of the decade award. [Basically traded Conn Smythe/Selke winner O'Reilly for some nobodies.]

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
From this article Wilson on Bringing Back Boughner, Bringing in Thompson & Madden

Sounds like Boughner did pick the assistants. Also, I like this a lot. DW made him prove he had a vision for structure of the team going forward before hiring him.

It's interesting that DW would say that when there were articles since the season ended that made it seem like it was being chosen for him. Classic DW. Tough to tell which is the truth with him sometimes but I'm more inclined to believe Boogie picked his assistants.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's interesting that DW would say that when there were articles since the season ended that made it seem like it was being chosen for him. Classic DW. Tough to tell which is the truth with him sometimes but I'm more inclined to believe Boogie picked his assistants.
I was always under the impression that Rocky was a Boughner pick.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Just the fact that Rocky Thompson was chosen as an assistant makes me believe it was Boughner’s choice given their extensive history. Side note, one of Boughner’s comments that resonated with me was how he would develop the system based on the players he has catering to their strengths. Felt like DeBoer wasn’t willing to deviate from his system when it seemed apparent that it wasn’t fitting the personnel.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Just the fact that Rocky Thompson was chosen as an assistant makes me believe it was Boughner’s choice given their extensive history. Side note, one of Boughner’s comments that resonated with me was how he would develop the system based on the players he has catering to their strengths. Felt like DeBoer wasn’t willing to deviate from his system when it seemed apparent that it wasn’t fitting the personnel.

I was listening to this interview with DW Jr. (like halfway through the podcast) and he talks a lot about tailoring development plans for each individual player, and letting them be themselves.

Seems like a good thing to have as a unified view throughout the organization.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Fair enough, but Heatley was still a competent top-6er when he left the Sharks - he had 64 pts and he scored 53 his first year in MIN. And the asset that was returned was another questionable top-6er past his prime, with significant injury history.

I think Vlasic could potentially go in the right deal, but it won't be a slam dunk. We'd for sure have to take cap back or retain a significant amount.
Moving Vlasic for anything is a win at this point.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
We traded Heatley for Havlat and then used a buyout on Havlat...
I obviously didn't remember that. Was just the last year right? Still, when we dumped Heatley everyone here thought DW must have incriminating photos of the Wilds GM or something. Havlat seemed like he was going to be a huge upgrade until he forgot how to jump over the boards.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Not only did I like that Boughner keyed in on building a system to fit the players you have but I loved that he made sure that his staff would be good at developing young players. Something that was completely gone with PDB

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Alright now that we have confirmed Boughner, let's make bets on how long it takes for us to turn on him. I'm gonna say with 3 months into the season. So like around game 34.

Also, Sheng w/ the article Boughner, Thompson & Madden on What They’re Adding to Sharks

I generally think that the coach is about as important as a solid 2nd liner or #3/4 defenseman. While a coach can in theory do tremendous damage, there is only so much talent they can mold from the provided clay.

tahoesharksfan

Old Fart
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Alright now that we have confirmed Boughner, let's make bets on how long it takes for us to turn on him. I'm gonna say with 3 months into the season. So like around game 34.

Maybe 3 months into the 21-22 season. This coming season, whenever it starts is going to be as unusual as this one was.

I'm down with Boog, this staff and especially Nabby!

Getting either of Kuemper or Lehner (in that order ) would make my day. Hopefully everyone else gets healthy and a couple of guys move on or are "moved along".

Man I'm ready for the world to get back to normal so I can sit back and enjoy Sharks' games like in what now seems like the olden days.....

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
okay, I was able to listen to both DW and BB on the announcement today and I have the following observations/comments. Announcements are on youtube sharks page in case you
haven't listened to them yet.
- I like their approach of letting players play the way their game and having a system that
supports the way the players play - not forcing them to play a system that's not a match for them. This means systems changes in all areas from the sounds of it. It's not about playing like other teams, it's about what is our team identity based on the core players we have, then the structure/systems and playing to it. Buy in is important but I hope for hard for a team that finished last.
- Madden didn't say to much, I did like what Thompson said overall and what BB said
about coaching staff being NHL players, coaches all with some success under their
belts. The idea that these guys as less skilled players need to be better at details
to be successful, etc. The idea for the D to be better at sticks in lanes and angles on
other players is pretty basic, yet needed with you give up as many goals as we did.
- I like that Rocky and Madden are into adv. stats. Anyone who is a fan of Pat Burns as a coach im a fan of.
- He also said nothing about our UFA/RFA players. While I'm used to this and did not expect him to discuss it, I am still disappointed that he did not volunteer more. My point here is that now that the team identity is defined, and he knows what the cap will be, 1) he should have a handle on our UFA/RFA players, who could come back and who won't be back, 2) the profile for the kind of new player(s) needed that fit the identity, etc. I'm not expecting him to say what UFA he wants, just the kind of players he's looking for, etc.
- Still no word on training camp dates and of mini camps for prospects. Its going to be hard
for all NHL teams to see prospects/younger players and where they are development wise
until training camp most likely. Feels like this make's it harder for them to make the team
resulting im more veterans on the roster. We will see.
- DW appears to think that the 3 picks we have in the first 2 rounds would be helpful to the team. I can't see how that helps us this season unless they are moved for a better pick/player
or player(s) that are NHL ready now. Sounds like DW rhetoric to me.
- Anyway, good to hear what BB has to say, he's a pretty clear communicator.

Reactions: NiWa

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
supports the way the players play - not forcing them to play a system that's not a match for them. This means systems changes in all areas from the sounds of it. It's not about playing like other teams, it's about what is our team identity based on the core players we have, then the structure/systems and playing to it. Buy in is important but I hope for hard for a team that finished last.
One of Karlsson, Burns, or Merkley on the ice at all times!!!

NO FEAR!!

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hall would be a great addition to this team, but there's just no way we can fit him into our cap situation, and I doubt he wants to come to the team that finished last in the conference when he's trying to win, players tend to have short memories when it comes to their free agency decisions

Never say never. Unlikely, perhaps, but if he believes in the coach, and thinks the team can rebound, he may take smaller $$ for not long term.

Just the fact that Rocky Thompson was chosen as an assistant makes
Title is Associate.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
So much has been said about Rick Bowness benefiting from the "pause" and using that time to refine a suitable system for Dallas. I don't follow Dallas enough to know their old systems, but experts and insiders have said that Bowness had to play Monty's system since there was little time to teach and adapt to a new system while competing for a playoff spot.

Boughner had a bit more time that Bowness, but i have to think that he too will benefit from all this time off (as will the players). Having a guy like Madden, who excelled at defensive hockey and penalty killing run our offense and PK is great, and having an offensive minded Thompson run our D plays to our strengths with Karlsson, Burns, and eventually (hopefully) Merkley. These don't seems like shrewd moves, rather, they directly address weaknesses and support strengths.

Having this be official makes me excited to see a new style of Sharks hockey, whenever that may be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad