GDT: Sharks @ Golden Knights 7pm no Vlasic or Braun

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
In every game he's played, Heed has made a mistake (large or small) that led to a goal. His coverage can be quite poor at times.

Not a strong game for Simek, either.

There is this minor trend of young Sharks's d-men severely regressing in their second year. DeMelo, Heed, Ryan...even Demers if you go back a little further.

There should be some sort of a phrase for a second year slump. ;)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
In every game he's played, Heed has made a mistake (large or small) that led to a goal. His coverage can be quite poor at times.

Not a strong game for Simek, either.

There is this minor trend of young Sharks's d-men severely regressing in their second year. DeMelo, Heed, Ryan...even Demers if you go back a little further.

Ryan hasn’t severely regressed and DeMelo always sucked. It’s tough for me to assess Heed’s play when he has spent 90% of the team’s last 90 games eating popcorn in the press box. Nobody is going to look great doing that.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’ve bagged on Vlasic and Braun as much as anyone, but I think at this point we’re kidding ourselves if we think Ryan, Simek, and Heed are as good or better than them. Better options moving forward due to age and salary? Yes. Better players? No. If Vlasic-Braun came back and took the role Ryan and Heed have been playing and took a few more minutes to lessen the strain on Karlsson and Burns, this team would be better. The GA thing the past few games is mostly due to good goaltending IMO, and that Burns and Karlsson, as, yunno, Norris-winning defensemen, are actually capable of playing against top opposing forwards.

On a different note, it makes me indescribably sad to see Jumbo out there playing the way he is. I don’t have words for how heartbroken I am over it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’ve bagged on Vlasic and Braun as much as anyone, but I think at this point we’re kidding ourselves if we think Ryan, Simek, and Heed are as good or better than them. Better options moving forward due to age and salary? Yes. Better players? No. If Vlasic-Braun came back and took the role Ryan and Heed have been playing and took a few more minutes to lessen the strain on Karlsson and Burns, this team would be better. The GA thing the past few games is mostly due to good goaltending IMO, and that Burns and Karlsson, as, yunno, Norris-winning defensemen, are actually capable of playing against top opposing forwards.

On a different note, it makes me indescribably sad to see Jumbo out there playing the way he is. I don’t have words for how heartbroken I am over it.

DeBoer did say he’s playing with some injury.:.

I have this secret hope that Joe is going to turn into Prime Joe in the playoffs, and that right now he’s just trying to conserve his energy...

It’s very wishful thinking...

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
also it feels great to finally win in Vegas despite the Refs best efforts to hand Vegas the game on multiple occasions.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Gotta wonder if this is JT's last year. He doesn't really start and stop anymore, just circling. It is a bit sad, but he can still be a useful player against some teams. Hope those knees start feeling better come playoff time.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
As ive said before, no one thinks ryan and heed are better than vlasic and braun however, carving out ice time is a lot easier

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
Gotta wonder if this is JT's last year. He doesn't really start and stop anymore, just circling. It is a bit sad, but he can still be a useful player against some teams. Hope those knees start feeling better come playoff time.
After this year, if we do re-sign Karlsson, I have a feeling we will be Joe-less, and find ourselves with a new Captain.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Burns could go pointless for the next 30+ games and his 50 points would still be seen as a great offensive year for almost the entire league.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

I think its clear there is a deployment and mobility issue with that pair regardless of all of this. Ryan and Heed are not really getting stomped on as bad as most would have thought and its entirely up to deployments. These are two complimentary players trying to carry a line and neither seem up to the task at the moment.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Was anyone, anyone even aware that we just reached 1000 wins in the third fewest games? IN NHL HISTORY? That is freaking amazing. I had no inkling of this and I was sitting there telling my wife and not comprehending the scope of what that meant.
Wow!

Oh, and what a game! It seems the tin man found his heart. Throw in a lot of courage from the lion and we are sending a message to the top teams out there. Yes, the game wasn’t perfect but the outcome is satisfying. We beat those Golden Knights in their own barn. We can do it.

Go Sharks!!

Reactions: NiWa

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I noticed the Jumbo thing yesterday and it actually made me really sad too. I have been noticing him, in a bad way, more and more off late and he looked really bad yesterday against the very fast Knights team.

Also, regarding Vlasic and Braun, I don't think that many, if any, people will argue about them being better players than Ryan or Heed. Again, I think part of it is just deployment.

- Don't use that pairing against top-lines
- Get Vlasic's TOI closer to 15-17 than the 20+ minutes he has been logging every game. Pair him with EK65 for a few minutes a game and see if they can make it work.
- Braun should definitely be getting lesser minutes than the 20 minutes he has been getting per game.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Joe has regressed, but he's fine in a bottom 6, 15 min per game role.

Yeah i am guessing that if it wasn't thornton, his play would look good for the role he is in.

But the fact that it is a future hall of famer, its more so him being compared to his old self. And people being dissapointed by that.

I still believe that it is pavs that is bringing thornton down and its thornton that is bringing pavs down.

It seemed that both players production dropped drastically once they were once again put on the same line.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
SNOG announcement

Congrats @HOOCH2173 on your SNOG victory! You're now in sole possession of the season SNOG lead.

View attachment 174379

Second Half SNOG Results:

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
42Jan. 2 at AvalanchenoneSharks 5-4
43Jan. 5 vs LightningnoneSharks 5-2
44Jan. 7 vs Kingssocalsharksfan, seroesSharks 3-1
45Jan. 8 vs OilersnoneSharks 7-2
46Jan. 10 at Golden KnightsHOOCH2173Sharks 3-2
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank
2018-19 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.HOOCH21733
T-2.SJSharksfan39, socalsharksfan2
T-4.BaileyMacTavish, Bizz, fasterthanlight, FeedingFrenzy, Herschel, Insignia, Kcoyote3, Nolan11, Ol Dirty Pirate, PackShark, rangerssharks414, seroes, SFtoBoston, Tkachuk4MVP1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I know it won't last long but...
upload_2019-1-11_8-34-38.jpeg

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Thornton really isn’t playing that bad this year. He has a ~60% Corsi, he’s scoring at half a point per game. I think this year should and probably will be his last but one ugly game doesn’t erase that he’s had a pretty solid season.

I do think he and Pavelski might need to be separated.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thornton really isn’t playing that bad this year. He has a ~60% Corsi, he’s scoring at half a point per game. I think this year should and probably will be his last but one ugly game doesn’t erase that he’s had a pretty solid season.

Truth be told, unless its by injuries i can honestly see thornton saying before the start of the season that it will be his last.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah i am guessing that if it wasn't thornton, his play would look good for the role he is in.

But the fact that it is a future hall of famer, its more so him being compared to his old self. And people being dissapointed by that.

I still believe that it is pavs that is bringing thornton down and its thornton that is bringing pavs down.

It seemed that both players production dropped drastically once they were once again put on the same line.
Which isn't really fair at all. Every hofer drops off at some point.

And I totally agree on Pavs and Joe. Though Sorensen skated out of scoring opportunities with the puck multiple times last night for some reason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I would say that Thornton has been having a solid season for his role despite looking awful doing it. He has looked awful all year with a couple good looking games sprinkled in, imo.

68 Z-28

Jul 10, 2007
Under the Tank
Thornton has been doing just fine. Let's not forget last night was 3rd in 4 nights and 4 in 6 nights against one of the faster teams in the league. Yes, Jumbo's career is closer to the end than not, but he's not a problem IMO. I'd like to see him get some games off down the stretch to stay fresh, but I don't think that's something that'll happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad