GDT: Sharks @ Golden Knights 7pm no Vlasic or Braun

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
There’s no way Joe is retiring this year - dude loves playing too much and I have a feeling Doug will let him play on the Sharks as long as he is able/wants to. I think if he wins the Cup, that’s one thing, but if not, I guarantee he’ll be back next season.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
Overall a very good road win. Sharks are tired with 4 games in 6 days but they persevered. That all star break cannot come soon enough

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
There’s no way Joe is retiring this year - dude loves playing too much and I have a feeling Doug will let him play on the Sharks as long as he is able/wants to. I think if he wins the Cup, that’s one thing, but if not, I guarantee he’ll be back next season.

Thornton would come back the year after so he can go for cup number 2 lol

Reactions: Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

And how much longer will he still be able?

I would say that Thornton has been having a solid season for his role despite looking awful doing it. He has looked awful all year with a couple good looking games sprinkled in, imo.

The numbers are probably mostly due to some truly butter soft deployment. I agree he’s looked pretty bad most nights but he clearly looks better without Pavelski.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And i will say it again. If you look at thornton as just a normal 3rd liner he is probably one of the best in the league.

But if you look at his as thornton the hall of famer he looks bad. Thornton the hall of famer is not how we should be judging him by.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The numbers are probably mostly due to some truly butter soft deployment. I agree he’s looked pretty bad most nights but he clearly looks better without Pavelski.

Clearly but they have limited options on how to split them up without also messing with the top two lines.

Joe Thornton was on a 2 game goal scoring streak before last night. He's fine.

Fine based off two games with a goal in them is lame. We're not talking about just this past week and not even bagging on his production. He's fine there. He's further behind the play than what Jumbo is used to, holding onto pucks less than he's used to, and flubbing passes frequently. He's just lucky that his reputation is so established as a playmaker that people forget about him in the defensive zone and he can take advantage of that but overall his play has been a mess the whole season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And i will say it again. If you look at thornton as just a normal 3rd liner he is probably one of the best in the league.

But if you look at his as thornton the hall of famer he looks bad. Thornton the hall of famer is not how we should be judging him by.

With how the Sharks are built, he has to be one of the best 3rd liners in the league because their top six isn't going to beat anyone. However, do you really like the way Thornton is right now matched up against many playoff teams we may end up going against? I don't. I think he is susceptible to being exploited by good teams with good coaches come playoff time.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I think that even if you make that distinction, there are still some clear concerns with his game.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
With how the Sharks are built, he has to be one of the best 3rd liners in the league because their top six isn't going to beat anyone. However, do you really like the way Thornton is right now matched up against many playoff teams we may end up going against? I don't. I think he is susceptible to being exploited by good teams with good coaches come playoff time.

a good coach will exploit any 3rd liner, but i would take thornton as is over pretty much any body realistically that the sharks can trade for to replace him on the 3rd line. he has been good for the past month or so and against even better teams then vegas. but as always when thornton has a bad game its time for him to hang up the skates he is no longer able to play hockey.

And if teams try to exploit the thornton line then the other lines will just make them pay. there are very very few if any teams that can stop all 3 of the sharks lines when they are on the top of there game. would be better for this if of course thornton and pavs would get seperated, but sadly i think we are back to them being joined at the hips again until one gets hurt.

I think that even if you make that distinction, there are still some clear concerns with his game.

well of course, but he is a 39 year old 3rd liner that still controls the game like no other 3rd liner in the league. the minor concerns that his game has still don't diminish all the good parts of his game.

he is a 3rd liner that is on pace for 40 points while coming off a major knee injury that kept him out of the line up for 9 games this season. a 40 point above even 3rd liner and every body would be jumping for joy. but for some reason, with one bad game with thornton and the narrative starts up that he should retire he no longer can keep up, he is finished.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
jumbo just needs to rest, we know hes hurt and hes already someone who has barely played in over a year. Letting him play is nuts.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Clearly but they have limited options on how to split them up without also messing with the top two lines.

Fine based off two games with a goal in them is lame. We're not talking about just this past week and not even bagging on his production. He's fine there. He's further behind the play than what Jumbo is used to, holding onto pucks less than he's used to, and flubbing passes frequently. He's just lucky that his reputation is so established as a playmaker that people forget about him in the defensive zone and he can take advantage of that but overall his play has been a mess the whole season.

This is what I'm seeing w/ Jumbo, too. He used to be the best in holding onto pucks along the boards. Sadly, even small forwards & dmen are taking the puck away from him. I love Jumbo but sad to see this. Hope it turns around but I don't expect it to.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
This is what I'm seeing w/ Jumbo, too. He used to be the best in holding onto pucks along the boards. Sadly, even small forwards & dmen are taking the puck away from him. I love Jumbo but sad to see this. Hope it turns around but I don't expect it to.
it never will unless he trusts his knees, which even for a pro takes awhile. He doesnt push off or pivot at all which means hes going to lose board battles a lot....

I dont blame him at all but he isnt skating like an nhl player right now

jarr92

May 7, 2013
a 40 point above even 3rd liner and every body would be jumping for joy. but for some reason, with one bad game with thornton and the narrative starts up that he should retire he no longer can keep up, he is finished.

Was everyone jumping for joy for Chris Tierney last season? He scored 40 points and was even +/-

JT has been my favorite player since he came to SJ. I would love if his knees started to improve.

If you watch JT from the previous cup final run, you will notice his skating is SO much worse now. It’s not necessarily straight line speed, it’s his agility which has taken a nosedive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad