Rumor: Sharks GM Doug Wilson looking desperately to get a first for rebuild mode

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I feel san Jose and bruins are a match. Bruins badly need to get rid of backes debacle contract and sharks are in desperate need to recoup that first round pick they lost to the sens. Maybe leblanc instead of meier makes this happen?

The Sharks and Bruins may be a match but it will simply be something like Backes and a 1st for Sorensen or Thornton or Marleau. Meier is very unlikely to be dealt. Labanc could be dealt but who knows if a team is actually willing to fork over a 1st for him right now or how DW sees him. He could see Labanc as a big part of their future as well which would make it difficult for him to trade Labanc.

Reactions: themelkman

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I told Sharks fans they needed to package Kane/Hertl. I've had the pulse of their team for a decade. Hertl is out for the year and who knows if he will ever be the same. Thornton and Marleau probably gone after this year. Burns/Karlsson contracts. No goalie. Couture always hurt. It's beyond repairable at this point. I gave them their last chance.. Package Kane/Hertl. Balance out your lines and get a franchise goalie. But now? They aren't seeing a Cup for a decade +.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
I told Sharks fans they needed to package Kane/Hertl. I've had the pulse of their team for a decade. Hertl is out for the year and who knows if he will ever be the same. Thornton and Marleau probably gone after this year. Burns/Karlsson contracts. No goalie. Couture always hurt. It's beyond repairable at this point. I gave them their last chance.. Package Kane/Hertl. Balance out your lines and get a franchise goalie. But now? They aren't seeing a Cup for a decade +.

As terrible internet hot takes go, this is definitely one.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The Sharks and Bruins may be a match but it will simply be something like Backes and a 1st for Sorensen or Thornton or Marleau. Meier is very unlikely to be dealt. Labanc could be dealt but who knows if a team is actually willing to fork over a 1st for him right now or how DW sees him. He could see Labanc as a big part of their future as well which would make it difficult for him to trade Labanc.
I would rather see the Bruins keep Backes and play some kids although that will not solve their problem giving up a first the above mentioned does not move the needle either .......for full disclosure I am not in favor of moving # 1 for rentals. I might consider a bigger deal involving more pieces . The Bruins are in need of a scoring RW preferred with some size, and also a physical defenseman, Brendan Dillon type.I would like them explore moving Krug and hand the keys to the car to McAvoy .Time to find out about their young D-men.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
backes 1st round pick 3nd round pick 2021

for Dillon and thornton

fills everyone needs . not sure if the cap fits? helps bruins make a run for the cup this year. sharks get their 1st round pick obviously not the lotto pick they give to dorion but its something to smooth fan base over.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Wow, you were so generous and those ingrates didnt even take it? The absolute NERVE of them :laugh:

giphy.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would rather see the Bruins keep Backes and play some kids although that will not solve their problem giving up a first the above mentioned does not move the needle either .......for full disclosure I am not in favor of moving # 1 for rentals. I might consider a bigger deal involving more pieces . The Bruins are in need of a scoring RW preferred with some size, and also a physical defenseman, Brendan Dillon type.I would like them explore moving Krug and hand the keys to the car to McAvoy .Time to find out about their young D-men.

It moves the needle in terms of getting out from under a 6 mil cap hit that the team needs to make moves now and this next off-season.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
backes 1st round pick 3nd round pick 2021

for Dillon and thornton

fills everyone needs . not sure if the cap fits? helps bruins make a run for the cup this year. sharks get their 1st round pick obviously not the lotto pick they give to dorion but its something to smooth fan base over.

Why would the Sharks give up Dillon and Thornton for a 3rd round pick? That makes no sense. Backes being moved is going to cost them a 1st regardless. So you're essentially selling Dillon for a 3rd round pick which is well below his market value.

Reactions: Gecklund

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
sorry George are you secretly god? Sorry they didn’t appease you more

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Wow, you were so generous and those ingrates didnt even take it? The absolute NERVE of them :laugh:

giphy.gif

Exactly. I mean how can this "great" GM not see what needs to be done but I can. Why aren't the Sharks paying me? I mean post are dated and you can see where I said this weeks before.

But he did give us our last chance, so lets be thankful about that atleast.

Please explain a path of how any of this is fixable? Kanes production is bound to drop over the next year. His trade value was at an all time high. Hertl might never be the same. Couture always hurt. 20 mill per a year for 2 defensemen who don't want to play defense. No franchise goalie. Thornton and Marleau leaving. It's going to take at least a decade now to fix this.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Labanc would be a good target for a playoff team because of his low cap hit.

Labanc and Meier are the only realistic pieces that could get a 1st but it doesn't make much sense for San Jose to move on from either.

Kane, Couture, and Burns can only be traded to 3 teams, which if they name teams who wouldn't want them could basically turn it into a full NTC.

Vlasic and Karlsson have full NTCs.

Hertl is now hurt.

A true rebuild would take a decade because they'd have to ask guys to waive, sell them off for pennies on the dollar, and be really bad for a few years before the pieces can go on place. A re-tool makes more sense because they already have a solid core.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Exactly. I mean how can this "great" GM not see what needs to be done but I can. Why aren't the Sharks paying me? I mean post are dated and you can see where I said this weeks before.

Please explain a path of how any of this is fixable? Kanes production is bound to drop over the next year. His trade value was at an all time high. Hertl might never be the same. Couture always hurt. 20 mill per a year for 2 defensemen who don't want to play defense. No franchise goalie. Thornton and Marleau leaving. It's going to take at least a decade now to fix this.

You explain to me what you would consider a 'fix' and we can go from there. If you say its winning the SC, nothing really guarantees that.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

George please, give us just one more chance we will listen this time I swear

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Labanc would be a good target for a playoff team because of his low cap hit.

Labanc and Meier are the only realistic pieces that could get a 1st but it doesn't make much sense for San Jose to move on from either.

Kane, Couture, and Burns can only be traded to 3 teams, which if they name teams who wouldn't want them could basically turn it into a full NTC.

Vlasic and Karlsson have full NTCs.

Hertl is now hurt.

A true rebuild would take a decade because they'd have to ask guys to waive, sell them off for pennies on the dollar, and be really bad for a few years before the pieces can go on place. A re-tool makes more sense because they already have a solid core.

As Sharks fan, we are not going to see a rebuild. The GM has mentioned that several times already. Re-tooling is our only way forward based on what we have been told. I think DW is a master at making good trades when people think there is no value in players (with or without trade restrictions). I trust him there. My issues with him are outside of that:

- Too many NMC/NTC's given.
- Holds on to coaches for too long
- Invests too much money in bottom-6 players.
- Drafts too safe (this has changed in the last 2 years or so)

Also, I really don't believe it would take us 10 years to rebuild. Probably more like 5 if they did decide to go full rebuild. But its a moot point because we arent going that route anyway.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Why would the Sharks give up Dillon and Thornton for a 3rd round pick? That makes no sense. Backes being moved is going to cost them a 1st regardless. So you're essentially selling Dillon for a 3rd round pick which is well below his market value.

Someone might bite on Backes for a 2nd and a prospect like Zboril. Just saying

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Someone might bite on Backes for a 2nd and a prospect like Zboril. Just saying

The Bruins will have to throw out a 1st rounder or an equivalent prospect. I doubt anyone is going to take on 6 mil for anything less given the Marleau deal. Zboril, I don't think, moves the needle for anyone to move off that ask for what they're being asked to take.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You explain to me what you would consider a 'fix' and we can go from there. If you say its winning the SC, nothing really guarantees that.

George please, give us just one more chance we will listen this time I swear

I've posted two in-depth moves the Sharks needed to make over the years to win a SC and laughed at and was proven right in the end. I said I'm no longer giving my professional analysis for free.

I will give this. If trying to salvage this season. I would look at Bjug from Pitt for center depth. Although he has injury issues himself and Galchenyuk. He's a big body and can play center too. He's made for west coast hockey. He had 40 points on crappy AZ team last year. He's a 40-50 point player. A lot of good players come to Pitt and can't do well with the limited minutes. Brassard is a perfect example.

But once again, you have nothing to acquire those players at this point.

The trade I floated on Pens forums was Kane/Hertl for Simon, Gally, Bjug, Petts(before they signed him long term) and MM. Pens would have lost a lot of depth but been deadly if healthy. Sharks would have been a way better overall team. But now, Hertl is out for year and apparently Petts is apart of the Pens long term plans.

Nothing the Sharks can really do at this point. I could make it a 4-5 year window but I'm not giving that up.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I've posted two in-depth moves the Sharks needed to make over the years to win a SC and laughed at and was proven right in the end. I said I'm no longer giving my professional analysis for free.

I will give this. If trying to salvage this season. I would look at Bjug from Pitt for center depth. Although he has injury issues himself and Galchenyuk. He's a big body and can play center too. He's made for west coast hockey. He had 40 points on crappy AZ team last year. He's a 40-50 point player. A lot of good players come to Pitt and can't do well with the limited minutes. Brassard is a perfect example.

The trade I floated on Pens forums was Kane/Hertl for Simon, Gally, Bjug, Petts(before they signed him long term) and MM. Pens would have lost a lot of depth but been deadly if healthy. Sharks would have been a way better overall team. But now, Hertl is out for year and apparently Petts is apart of the Pens long term plans.

Nothing the Sharks can really do at this point. I could make it a 4-5 year window but I'm not giving that up.
Too funny

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

You were never proven right on anything.

Reactions: Gecklund

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
As Sharks fan, we are not going to see a rebuild. The GM has mentioned that several times already. Re-tooling is our only way forward based on what we have been told. I think DW is a master at making good trades when people think there is no value in players (with or without trade restrictions). I trust him there. My issues with him are outside of that:

- Too many NMC/NTC's given.
- Holds on to coaches for too long
- Invests too much money in bottom-6 players.
- Drafts too safe (this has changed in the last 2 years or so)

Also, I really don't believe it would take us 10 years to rebuild. Probably more like 5 if they did decide to go full rebuild. But its a moot point because we arent going that route anyway.

If the Sharks went full rebuild, it would take anywhere from 5-10 years.

This is because they aren't going to get anywhere near full value from dealing whoever in their current core would be willing to go. The trade clauses are too restrictive.

Look at the Senators, they are already pretty much three years into a rebuild and they are still a bottom feeder. It's a similar scenario, but I doubt the Sharks will get as much for their core as the Senators did, and that's even with the mis-steps the Senators made along the way.

The only way I can see the Sharks pulling off a rebuild would be clearing the deck by getting the best offers for Karlsson, Burns, Couture, Vlasic, Kane, etc (which will all be soft offers because of NTC issues), and then loading up with assets through taking on bad money/finishing low enough in the draft to get top end talent.

There could be an argument made that Kane/Karlsson/Couture are young enough to keep around for a 5 year rebuild. That the Sharks could try to move on from the other older core players and keep those three along with Lebanc, Hertl, and Meier. But that would be contingent on those players wanting to stay through a rebuild. The Sharks obviously wouldn't have to trade them, but teams rarely like keeping players around who don't agree with the organizational goal. There would also be the downside that the Sharks probably end up in that middle ground where they aren't bad enough to get a good shot at top end talent, but aren't good enough to be a contender or consistently make the playoffs. At that point, that's more of a re-tool than a rebuild.

Reactions: themelkman

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I remember back in like 05, could've been later, Wilson was interviewed and he said he wanted the Sharks to be like the Senators because they were really young, and that was the key, to get younger. That was his assessment. He likes to adapt to what's successful currently

Just a reminiscence, could be faulty.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Your post is trolling. No one is taking you serious on that debacle

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad