Rumor: Sharks GM Doug Wilson looking desperately to get a first for rebuild mode

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
The Sharks are essentially a heavyweight team that has under-performed this season. They don't need a full rebuild. They need a world class goalie. Something as simple as drafting Askarov this June might be all they need to turn it around.

edit: without a first round pick, it will be difficult to draft Askarov but my point still stands.. a turn around can happen with a few simple moves.

You also have to understand how much is left in the tank for your Vets. A rebuild is inevitable for the Sharks eventually. Same with the Kings, and Same with the Ducks. You don’t want your tank left on empty when Couture, Jumbo Joe, Marleau, and the others vets are nearing retirement or going into retirement.

What’s left when they are declining on the roster? Not much outside of a few players. That’s why getting picks and young prospects while you can makes sense. We’re having the same issues when Getzlaf is gone. That’s why I’m hoping we get a replacement for him ASAP through the draft. I suggest sharks do the same gameplan like the rest of us.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hard to fathom how far and how fast the Sharks have imploded.....but if Wilson is in the market for a first round draft pick in June, he's in for a long wait. Looking at this Sharks roster, I can't find a single player who would fetch anyone's first rounder.

I'm afraid he's doomed to watch Peter Dorion and the Senators step to the podium and select a top-10 pick with the Sharks selection. And he'd better pray that the lottery balls don't propel that pick all the way into the top-five. Not happy times in the Silicon Valley.

Reactions: KINGS17

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
the ink wasn't even dry on the Karlsson contract and it was visibly a bad idea

"we have 1 Burns, let's have more Burns'"
Karlson/Price share the worst contracts in the NHL but Karlson is I think the worst and was from day one. Just an awful awful deal

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Hard to fathom how far and how fast the Sharks have imploded.....but if Wilson is in the market for a first round draft pick in June, he's in for a long wait. Looking at this Sharks roster, I can't find a single player who would fetch anyone's first rounder.

I'm afraid he's doomed to watch Peter Dorion and the Senators step to the podium and select a top-10 pick with the Sharks selection. And he'd better pray that the lottery balls don't propel that pick all the way into the top-five. Not happy times in the Silicon Valley.

That's going a bit far

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
huge huge karlsson fan. i never understood the fit there. IMO, as an outsider i think Wilson is failing to realize they missed their window. This will be a sinking ship and the end will be similar to where the wings are but with even worse contracts to move around. I hope not for SJ sake but it sure looks like it. Farm looks horrendous from afar. Goaltending a clear issue. forward depth is situation awkwardly IMO as well. I think Wilson should have been replaced a bit ago, personally.

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
As long as DW and Hasso Plattner running the show the sharks are not going into a full rebuild. In the past Wilson was very loyal to his core players but at the same time he was not known for giving out long term contracts, that changed a few years ago. He will try to refresh the roster and go from there. The question is is he trying to move a long term contract? Probably not. So its up to the players to request a trade.
Since 2004 the sharks missed playoffs only once, that was the 14/15 season. Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski and Vlasic were the fundamental players who granteed a playoff spot. Now that the core is almost gone the sharks are swimming in unsettled water.
Pretty sure there a sharks fans who wish for a full rebuild and at some point it becomes necessary. Just not in the DW era.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
The only way the Sharks are getting a 1st back is if they retain big on one of Karlsson or Burns, or trade Meier or Hertl. None of that seems likely.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The only way the Sharks are getting a 1st back is if they retain big on one of Karlsson or Burns, or trade Meier or Hertl. None of that seems likely.
Kane could probably get a 1st too. I’d gladly give up a 1st for him as an Avs fan.

Id add a lot to a 1st to get Meier/Hertl

Reactions: themelkman

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Aren't most sellers looking for first rounders?

I'd be surprised if any firsts are moved. GM's know it's a deep draft year.

Big Bruce seems to be throwing stuff against a wall again and trying to needle the Sharks which isn't needed
Would the Sharks be willing to overpay for a 1st, where it is a deep draft?

SharksFan445

Jan 27, 2020
huge huge karlsson fan. i never understood the fit there. IMO, as an outsider i think Wilson is failing to realize they missed their window. This will be a sinking ship and the end will be similar to where the wings are but with even worse contracts to move around. I hope not for SJ sake but it sure looks like it. Farm looks horrendous from afar. Goaltending a clear issue. forward depth is situation awkwardly IMO as well. I think Wilson should have been replaced a bit ago, personally.
Even though I think much less of Karlsson now since he's been a shark for a year than before he was one, I can still say he's not a bad player. But the sharks don't and never did need him. That trade was horrible from the start. They're screwed until they can either find a way to trade him or burns. You're not going anywhere in a professional sport if you are paying $20m each year to two guys who hurt you more than they help. It just doesnt work like that.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Even though I think much less of Karlsson now since he's been a shark for a year than before he was one, I can still say he's not a bad player. But the sharks don't and never did need him. That trade was horrible from the start. They're screwed until they can either find a way to trade him or burns. You're not going anywhere in a professional sport if you are paying $20m each year to two guys who hurt you more than they help. It just doesnt work like that.
What would you want to move them?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They are in a tough spot,best to try and wait out the season and hope for a rebound next year....At least to try and build up some value on some players they could trade under better circumstances

Reactions: SharksFan1

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Kane could probably get a 1st too. I’d gladly give up a 1st for him as an Avs fan.

Id add a lot to a 1st to get Meier/Hertl
You want to pay Meier that $10 million qualifying offer the same season MacKinnon's deal is up? PS, Makar needs a new deal before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad