Rumor: Sharks GM Doug Wilson looking desperately to get a first for rebuild mode

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Makes complete sense from my perspective. I'm a Anaheim fan. I saw this coming from all three franchises this deadline a MILE away. All three will be chasing picks. It just really comes down to who executes first with whats available.

"After surrendering his top selection in this year’s draft to the Ottawa Senators as part of the deal to get defenceman Erik Karlsson in September 2018, the word is Wilson is embarrassed that could be a lottery selection because of the backwards turn the Sharks have taken this season and, as a result, he’ll try desperately to get a first-rounder back at this year’s deadline."

Good luck Shark fans. You dont think Anaheim and King's arent going to try and do the same thing????

San Jose Sharks general manager Doug Wilson could be ready to play Let’s Make a Deal

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Aren't most sellers looking for first rounders?

I'd be surprised if any firsts are moved. GM's know it's a deep draft year.

Big Bruce seems to be throwing stuff against a wall again and trying to needle the Sharks which isn't needed

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think if you're the Sharks, you're just going to have to ride things out with the current core and hope lightning strikes like it did for the Blues and Capitals

There are just too many veterans signed long term to think a rebuild is in any way doable at this stage

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I have a hard time believing Labanc returns a first, but if Hartman got one, who knows.

Yeah, the Sharks would probably have to add a little bit to Lebanc to return a 1st, and the add would have to be on the other side is Meier or Hertl is coming back.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
There isn’t anything on that team trading a 1st for that wouldn’t cost a lot more than just a 1st

You could have 2 2nds for Labanc and a 3rd tho

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Aren't most sellers looking for first rounders?

I'd be surprised if any firsts are moved. GM's know it's a deep draft year.

Big Bruce seems to be throwing stuff against a wall again and trying to needle the Sharks which isn't needed

Every year there’s firsts being moved. This year should be no different. Injuries pile up. Teams take chances like for Instance the Karlsson trade in 2018 even if it’s based off conditions.

I would bet atleast 2 or 3 firsts are moved before February 24th deadline. It comes down to who executes getting the firsts first before the other sellers execute a trade with them also.

Then again your team has 2 top 10 picks over in Ottawa. You could give a damn about the rest of us rebuilding teams. So of course you would say that.

Reactions: SharksFan1

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Why do a lot of people believe labanc isnt worth a 1st. I mean a 25-30 pick for lebanc seems like a steal

He's a very vanilla player. You hope to hit on a guy like that cheaply like Ottawa did with Namestnikov. Florida signed a comparable but better Brett Connolly cheaply. 1sts are the best chance a team has at getting an impact player for a decade

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
There isn’t anything on that team trading a 1st for that wouldn’t cost a lot more than just a 1st

You could have 2 2nds for Labanc and a 3rd tho
Not a chance. Doug won’t move Labanc for lesser picks, it would have to be either a first or a second and a good prospect/young player

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
As a Bruins Fan two players that would be interesting would be Dillon and Hertl ........, I am not a fan of these long term deals for aging players running late into their careers but Burns is some that should be considered . There would be some retaining involved.....Throw some ideas out lets see what they would look like......Please no Evander Kane .

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Burns
Karlsson
Couture
Hertl
Meier
Kane

The only guys on the Sharks roster actually worth 1st rounders. Since Burns, Couture, and EK65 are obviously not being moved.... It comes down to Hertl, Meier, and Kane.

But really it just doesn't make sense to move any of those guys. Kane has a M-NTC which makes it real hard to actually move him. Meier at his age and still an RFA after his current deal, makes him the perfect candidate to focus a new retool around.

The only one left with even a small chance of being moved would be Hertl. At 2.5 years away from being a UFA... If Wilson really does insist on going into a real fast rebuild/retool mode, Hertl is the guy who gets him back into the first round of the draft.

Hertl would fetch a damn good package along with that first, no doubt about that. But again you have to wonder why making such a deal.

The only other scenario where maybe a 1st gets offered is if its for a package deal and one where they take back a cap dump or two in the process.

Something like Labanc + Dillon to team X for 1st + Cap Dump(Of about 4M).

Reactions: mondo3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad