Rumor: Sharks GM Doug Wilson looking desperately to get a first for rebuild mode

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Here's an interesting proposal: Meier to Ottawa for their 1st back.

You hope to get a Hertl type player with that kind of pick, if the team was ever going to be competitive it would make sense, as Ottawa's owner has decided to run the team strictly for profit and couldn't care less about winning, we need those elc's to eventually trade away prior to ufa time for more picks to keep the machine humming along. Sport fan hell but most of us have accepted it.

It's good for other teams though because they can let the player develop in Ottawa and inevitably scoop them up via FA or for cheap in trade when they hit their prime for future picks or insured LTIR players to help reach the floor.

Reactions: themelkman

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't really get it. Just suck it up.

The only thing the Sharks can do is to try again as they've made only win-now moves the last few years. They need their core if they want to get back to the playoffs, not subtract from it. They can't rely on their prospect pool for immediate help one bit.

Last time the Sharks missed the playoffs they made the SCF following year. It's a veteran team, you bank on this embarrassment to fuel them for next year and hire a coach you feel like can spark this team and try your best to address the issues (top 6 F, goaltending, depth).

I guess if you can get a 1st for Labanc and bail on the upcoming extension you probably promised him, then you do it but anything else is either not worth a 1st or not worth giving up.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Damn it,we dont need to pile on anybody...After the horror show we went through last season ,we really need to keep quiet and not gloat or make snide comments towards the Sharks....Come on Ottawa we have more class that this
Yeah, last year must have sucked for Ottawa fans. I can empathize, both from previously living in Ottawa, and being a SJ fan through this season. People can say what they want. It won't bother me. Still, it's nice to see people classy people like you.

Reactions: themelkman

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
So what's available for that first rounder+?
Likely no one. The folk we will likely trade don't sum up to a first rounder. Dillon is the most valuable at likely a 2nd + 4th

If you believe the speculation that started this thread, we would have to give up one of our big salaries or Labanc (Don't think Meier or Hertl are on the table). If we were to trade LaBanc, I could see it as a sign and trade deal to ensure we made good on the unspoken gentlemen's agreement-like deal that resulted in Labanc signing for one year well below market. If that were to occur, I could see him dealt (non-core player, young with enough value to land a 1st, especially if extended)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Kings, Ducks, Rangers are all looking for 1st rounders. There's not enough teams willing to trade 1st rounders to satisfy them all.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Kings, Ducks, Rangers are all looking for 1st rounders. There's not enough teams willing to trade 1st rounders to satisfy them all.

That’s why Anaheim pulls the big trade of Getzlaf to Tampa Bay for both first rounders. Ducks will set the bar this deadline. We have a GM job on the line.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I get it Karlsson puts up points but that contract still makes me cringe.. He will be riding off into the sunset with his fedora well the Sharks continue to dwindle in the basement.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
This will be a mistake!!! The Sharks must make a last push!!!
They have all the heart and soul in the world and I am so sad.
If they were all 5 years younger they could win 2-3 Cups now. :(

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
That’s why Anaheim pulls the big trade of Getzlaf to Tampa Bay for both first rounders. Ducks will set the bar this deadline. We have a GM job on the line.
Highly doubt Getz gets two firsts at this point in his career, especially with his cap hit and another year. He was on pace for 58 points last year and is at the same pace this year. Maybe a first and a second if you guys retain half.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
This will be a mistake!!! The Sharks must make a last push!!!
They have all the heart and soul in the world and I am so sad.
If they were all 5 years younger they could win 2-3 Cups now. :(
The problem with sharks is their best 2 defenders can't play defense and they don't like getting checked. Never beat the blues with that team

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah, last year must have sucked for Ottawa fans. I can empathize, both from previously living in Ottawa, and being a SJ fan through this season. People can say what they want. It won't bother me. Still, it's nice to see people classy people like you.

Ottawa fans are excited more than anyone else on these boards now though. They have 2 top 10 picks. Wish my Ducks were in that position. Ottawa is gonna be amazing in 2 or so years. Ottawa fans are salivating and chomping at the bit for this draft.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Highly doubt Getz gets two firsts at this point in his career, especially with his cap hit and another year. He was on pace for 58 points last year and is at the same pace this year. Maybe a first and a second if you guys retain half.

I think Anaheim would do that. Murray already stated he’s willing to take on Salary for prospects and picks. Retaining salary shouldn’t be an issue.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Ottawa fans are excited more than anyone else on these boards now though. They have 2 top 10 picks. Wish my Ducks were in that position. Ottawa is gonna be amazing in 2 or so years. Ottawa fans are salivating and chomping at the bit for this draft.
especially since Ottawa looked like they burned themselves in the Duchene trade with their unprotected pick, but they look like they made the right choice. Tkachuk looks like the right asset to have walked away with over Byram, especially with Byram having a seemingly step back year in his development currently

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
especially since Ottawa looked like they burned themselves in the Duchene trade with their unprotected pick, but they look like they made the right choice. Tkachuk looks like the right asset to have walked away with over Byram, especially with Byram having a seemingly step back year in his development currently

Yup that Ottawa squad is gonna be very youth organized. With those two picks they are gonna have something in place for a build around. Not only that all the young kids are gonna grow up together. And that’s what creates chemistry. It reminds me of Getzlaf and Perry when they grew together in Anaheim.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Rebuild for what? Acquiring Karlsson was stupid but you got what you got and have to try to win with it at this stage.

They need a goalie and some defensive sound d-men to pair with Burns and Karlsson. You are going to have to give up some offense to acquire this. But that's why you get two of the best offensive d-men to help get the offense going. Try to move Kane. If I was them I'd be looking at one of the Pens goalies. But I don't think we are ready to decide on MM or Jarry and they have nothing offensively we really need.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Rebuild for what? Acquiring Karlsson was stupid but you got what you got and have to try to win with it at this stage.

They need a goalie and some defensive sound d-men to pair with Burns and Karlsson. You are going to have to give up some offense to acquire this. But that's why you get two of the best offensive d-men to help get the offense going. Try to move Kane. If I was them I'd be looking at one of the Pens goalies. But I don't think we are ready to decide on MM or Jarry and they have nothing offensively we really need.

Thats an interesting thought. I wonder if anyone at the deadline would have a use for Kane. But at the same time wouldn’t it be more cost efficient both in trade value and contract $ just to go after Toffoli instead?

Interesting idea to say the least. It got me thinking

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Thats an interesting thought. I wonder if anyone at the deadline would have a use for Kane. But at the same time wouldn’t it be more cost efficient both in trade value and contract $ just to go after Toffoli instead?

If you think the sharks need more d men then you haven’t watched the sharks. The problem almost entirely lies in the star players not performing, a lack of quality top forwards, and subpar goaltending

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

Toffoli doesn't address the issue. They are leaking goals. 3rd worst point differential. Last thing they need is another center imo.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If you think the sharks need more d men then you haven’t watched the sharks. The problem almost entirely lies in the star players not performing, a lack of quality top forwards, and subpar goaltending

It's the forwards fault they have given up 3rd most goals this season. Interesting.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Did you see me mention a defenseman? I was talking about Evander Kane on the trade block. As well as Tyler Tofolli. Not sure what you’re talking about. I was merely commenting on an idea of having Kane on the trade block for a possible first.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I don't really get it. Just suck it up.

The only thing the Sharks can do is to try again as they've made only win-now moves the last few years. They need their core if they want to get back to the playoffs, not subtract from it. They can't rely on their prospect pool for immediate help one bit.

Last time the Sharks missed the playoffs they made the SCF following year. It's a veteran team, you bank on this embarrassment to fuel them for next year and hire a coach you feel like can spark this team and try your best to address the issues (top 6 F, goaltending, depth).

I guess if you can get a 1st for Labanc and bail on the upcoming extension you probably promised him, then you do it but anything else is either not worth a 1st or not worth giving up.
Yup. You can't have it both ways. They need to run with this group as bad as it looks. Same can be said for a few other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad