Confirmed with Link: Sharks and McLellan Mutually Agree to Part Ways

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It will be hired away because he's still under contract to the Sharks until he takes a job elsewhere. That's why the Sharks have to be in the loop on any negotiations he does.

"Hired away" implies to me that the coach left but the team still wanted him. Not sure that fits here. Hope you're right though.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Todd wont have anything positive to say if/when Babcock asked him about SJ

They're friends, they have probably been talking for years about how things are in San Jose and I doubt one bad last year would damage things that much. In the end I think it'll come down to how much money and how much power the Sharks are willing to offer. Who knows if he's even the target.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
They're friends, they have probably been talking for years about how things are in San Jose and I doubt one bad last year would damage things that much. In the end I think it'll come down to how much money and how much power the Sharks are willing to offer. Who knows if he's even the target.

Yah, I doubt Todd is busily bad mouthing Wilson (he's too professional for that) and I doubt Babcock is terribly concerned about Wilson's issues given that he'd likely be a GM/Coach, which Todd was not.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
"Hired away" implies to me that the coach left but the team still wanted him. Not sure that fits here. Hope you're right though.

Hired away to me means that he was getting paid by team A and is now going to team B. Because the paid part means he technically has a job. lol

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Hired away to me means that he was getting paid by team A and is now going to team B. Because the paid part means he technically has a job. lol

Yah it's like if we had a player we refused to put on the ice and was instead told to stay at home. If we traded him, we still have to be compensated something (even if it's future considerations) because he's still under contract. We didn't terminate Todd's contract, we just told him not to show up for work tomorrow.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yah it's like if we had a player we refused to put on the ice and was instead told to stay at home. If we traded him, we still have to be compensated something (even if it's future considerations) because he's still under contract. We didn't terminate Todd's contract, we just told him not to show up for work tomorrow.

Maybe. I'm just not sure I buy it. We'll see and I hope you're both right.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...compensation-for-fired-coaches-gms-executives

The initial explanation on this I got from someone in the know was that he thought if you were fired, even if still under contract, that the team in question did not qualify for draft pick compensation from the team hiring the fired person. It is also what most team executives I had spoken with thought.

However, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who authored the memo on this, told ESPN.com Monday that for coaches, general managers or presidents of hockey operations who are fired but remain under contract, their teams are privy to draft pick compensation if they choose to pursue it.

And team can waive compensatory pick if they want.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Who knows if he's even the target.

I know people are reading into his statements the press conference (claiming this statements are a clear indication that he's going after a coach currently in the playoffs), but that could be a misdirection. Who knows, next week we could get a bombshell press conference naming DW President Only, Shero GM, and Bylsma Coach. This message board would break, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007

Good. So looks like they will get compensation. I see no reason why they would waive. Seems like McLellan definitely wants to leave and will have no problems finding a job even with compensation involved.

This may end up being washed out with a pick the Sharks might give up if they end up hiring a coach currently under contract (fired head coach or existing assistant coach).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Good. So looks like they will get compensation. I see no reason why they would waive. Seems like McLellan definitely wants to leave and will have no problems finding a job even with compensation involved.

This may end up being washed out with a pick the Sharks might give up if they end up hiring a coach currently under contract (fired head coach or existing assistant coach).

The assistant coach part wouldn't warrant any compensation. It's only for head coaches, General Managers, and President of Hockey Ops taken.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I know people are reading into his statements the press conference (claiming this statements are a clear indication that he's going after a coach currently in the playoffs), but that could be a misdirection. Who knows, next week we could get a bombshell press conference naming DW President Only, Shero GM, and Bylsma Coach. This message board would break, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

1849109365_569a41f236.jpg

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
The assistant coach part wouldn't warrant any compensation. It's only for head coaches, General Managers, and President of Hockey Ops taken.

I meant if the Sharks hired an existing assistant coach under contract (i.e. - Tony Granato) into a head coaching position. Then Sharks would have to give compensation. It's about the position they get hired into that determines the compensation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...r-teams-compensated-for-management-losses-too

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I meant if the Sharks hired an existing assistant coach under contract (i.e. - Tony Granato) into a head coaching position. Then Sharks would have to give compensation. It's about the position they get hired into that determines the compensation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...r-teams-compensated-for-management-losses-too

The original wording of the article I read regarding it didn't have such a distinction which is where my confusion was. Well, they could always just hire an AHL coach. lol

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

:laugh: JR. Still giving it to Marleau…

JR said:
"I think the playoff failures were a product of the depth of his teams," Roenick said. "You can't have your secondary scorers be in one game, out the next. And unfortunately, even some of his top guys like Patrick Marleau disappeared for 15-16 games. You won't get an effort out of him, then he'll be the best player. Logan Couture and Joe Thornton were going to bring it every night, but it's all a product of the entire system, the entire core. If part of it breaks down, the whole thing breaks down."

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I am not surprised as he needs to take part of the responsibility for missing the playoffs. He did not have the team playing a system that could win enough games with the players they had. I also fault DW and the players.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Good, the Sharks need a new coaching staff. Nothing has worked so fresh faces will help.

I do hope that DW and some of the scouting staff goes as well so it is a complete retool but odds are DW is too deep into Hasso right now.

Anyway I think the Sharks are going to go after either Tippett (my preference) or Bylsma.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad