Confirmed with Link: Sharks and McLellan Mutually Agree to Part Ways

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just read this article: http://thehockeywriters.com/not-surprising-mclellan-wanted-out-of-san-jose/

I know the media loves to spin stuff, but if their is any merit to it, I will completely jump on the get rid of DW bandwagon.
I believe ALL of this and have for a couple months now.

I was VERY critical of McLellan in the past and while I don't think he's the perfect coach, I softened my stance on him a lot a couple of months ago. I still a think a change needed to be made, it seems McLellan reached his expiration date with the organization. I don't blame him for much of what happened this season though.

I know this isn't the thread for it, though I have reason to believe the locker room is toxic right now. I think it's better if DW is removed as GM, but I don't think he will be removed just yet. I've long since been under the impression that Hasso and DW had this hold plan and understanding that the team might not make the playoffs this year. It seems this was actually confirmed or at least speculated upon by Pollak just last week. Of course I wouldn't be shocked to see Doug ousted suddenly in a couple weeks or months, though I'm not counting on it or putting any money on it.
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/20/do-leafs-have-what-it-takes-to-land-mclellan
Do the Leafs have what it takes to land McLellan?

http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/20150420/mclellan-available-if-hextalls-interested
More out of Philadelphia on the Flyers/Hextall's possible interest.

(And lest we forget.... Devils are looking for a coach too)
After thinking about it, I want Lou to hire him for the Devils now. Lou will probably Lou and hire Oates permanently or one of his retreads.

We could have hired Trotz last Summer but obviously Dumbeor deserved a two year extension, only to be fired 25% into it.:shakehead

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
You shouldn't. Until Edmonton gets a defense to go with all that scoring talent, they're not winning many games. McLellan doesn't exactly guarantee them defensive ability either.
Nonsense. He just has to take Burns with him and they'll be invincible.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Is Woodcroft the PP coach?

No one is sure what Woodcroft does / did. He used to watch videos or something. :sarcasm:

By accounts I've read, special teams responsibilities were shared by all coaches. Everyone had input. It used to be more divided in the days of Todd Richards, Trent Yawney, Matt Shaw.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I agree with JR when he says that Todd wouldn't be a good fit in Philly. Most of their forwards do the heavy lifting in their own zone as it is, and it didn't work out too well for them this season. He'd be much better off in a place like Edmonton where he could instill good two-way play into those young forwards.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
No one is sure what Woodcroft does / did. He used to watch videos or something. :sarcasm:

By accounts I've read, special teams responsibilities were shared by all coaches. Everyone had input. It used to be more divided in the days of Todd Richards, Trent Yawney, Matt Shaw.

I thought it came out that Woodcroft was the "mastermind" of the 1-2-1 PK that one year? :shakehead

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Originally Posted by JR
"I think the playoff failures were a product of the depth of his teams," Roenick said. "You can't have your secondary scorers be in one game, out the next. And unfortunately, even some of his top guys like Patrick Marleau disappeared for 15-16 games. You won't get an effort out of him, then he'll be the best player. Logan Couture and Joe Thornton were going to bring it every night, but it's all a product of the entire system, the entire core. If part of it breaks down, the whole thing breaks down."

Meh. Marleau deserves some of the blame for this season, but JR's a clown.

znrch

Too real.
Apr 3, 2013
Central CA
Sad to see him go. I never felt he was responsible for this debacle of a season. I think Doug was eager to try to get a clean break from last season and this provides him with a little bit of that.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I wasn't justifying to hire Craig Berube, but merely tossed it out there as an idea. Instantly shot down with no explaination, and I'm curious why.

He gave Zac Rinaldo Powerplay time this year and had multiple instances of playing him nearly 20 minutes a night. He also didn't rely on Mason as much as he should have. The way his defense fail to put pressure on the forwards or collapse is pretty bad as well.

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose
My ideal next coach would be John Stevens, he's currently an assistant coach in LA on their defense side. LA has had a top 10 PK for the last several years. Stevens has paid his dues as a NHL coach and of course won two cups with LA as an assistant.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I just read this article: http://thehockeywriters.com/not-surprising-mclellan-wanted-out-of-san-jose/

I know the media loves to spin stuff, but if their is any merit to it, I will completely jump on the get rid of DW bandwagon.

Massive pinch of salt with that article.

I've read a lot of his tweets in the past and he comes across as one of the most negative offerings I've seen on the Sharks. Nothing ever seems good enough - it's always a negative slant.

Call me a cynic but I knew exactly what that was going to say as soon as I saw his name. He's entitled to his opinion as we all are but there's not much balance in there, IMO...

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
Massive pinch of salt with that article.

I've read a lot of his tweets in the past and he comes across as one of the most negative offerings I've seen on the Sharks. Nothing ever seems good enough - it's always a negative slant.

Call me a cynic but I knew exactly what that was going to say as soon as I saw his name. He's entitled to his opinion as we all are but there's not much balance in there, IMO...

I didn't see this as being negative about the Sharks, but rather, about Wilson and the way he performs his duties as GM. Of course who knows whether it's accurate or not, but if DW is meddling, and not allowing the coach to do his job, the same problems will re-occur.

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
:laugh: So you want another chip and chase coach? Personally I don't give a **** what he's done, the game has changed since his last playoff appearance. Hitchcock adapted, Yeo adapted, Sutter adapted, Tippet hasn't.

Tippet's coaching and strategy was/is a function of the personnel he has. It doesn't mean he isn't capable of a different approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad