Confirmed with Link: Sharks and McLellan Mutually Agree to Part Ways

sjsharklover

Jun 22, 2008
san jose
Good, the Sharks need a new coaching staff. Nothing has worked so fresh faces will help.

I do hope that DW and some of the scouting staff goes as well so it is a complete retool but odds are DW is too deep into Hasso right now.

Anyway I think the Sharks are going to go after either Tippett (my preference) or Bylsma.

Fresh faces won't help if the person controlling the moves has no idea what he is doing.....add to that there are players on this team that lack that killer instinct...change the faces all you want as far as coaching ...it will make no difference....

They have to change the culture in San Jose ...and that culture was not developed by TMac....

This team is just too not aggressive....

He'll even the way they lose their coach was not aggressive......not fired ...didn't quit....just .ehhh

Same with Wilsons off season last year....not rebuilding, not neccesarlily trying to make playoffs. Ehhh

Man Wilson grow some huevos make some bold moves....show some fire ..maybe it will be contagious with your team

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
If Tmac coaches the oilers and they sign a decent goalie (maybe niemi) I will be legitimately scared to face them for the next 8+ seasons as long as they don't face cap issues (I can see mcdavid taking a friendly contract similar to Crosby just because of how humble he is)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Tmac coaches the oilers and they sign a decent goalie (maybe niemi) I will be legitimately scared to face them for the next 8+ seasons as long as they don't face cap issues (I can see mcdavid taking a friendly contract similar to Crosby just because of how humble he is)

You shouldn't. Until Edmonton gets a defense to go with all that scoring talent, they're not winning many games. McLellan doesn't exactly guarantee them defensive ability either.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let's be serious here, does anybody really believe that this was a mutual agreement? If Todd actually said he wanted to come back, do you really believe that DW signs off on that and lets him stay?

I'd be legitimately scared to face them too, considering how many BAD teams they've lost to in these last couple of seasons.

I wouldn't think they're a legit threat for anything though. We've been hearing for years how they're on the verge of a breakthrough.

And he'd be stupid to go there, with how many other teams should be interested. A poorly run franchise that's a perennial bottom feeder. A poorly run franchise that's also known for driving so many coaches out of town in this last decade. I swear they've had about 5 head coaches in Todd's Sharks tenure.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
In my mind Tmac is more teacher than coach and he will bridge the gap for the oilers till they get the next coach that takes them the rest of the way, but Tmac will have a lasting impact on that franchise

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good luck to the Todd. Terry Murray here we come.

God no.

He's one of a slew of guys that I think we've seen the last of behind an NHL bench, or at least as a head coach. Our old buddy Ronnie Wilson is another one who has washed out of the league. Torts may have too, with the way things went in Vancouver. Marc Crawford is another one in that category too.

Who knows though? Ted Nolan came back two times after disappearing for years. Bob Hartley is another who washed out of the NHL, then came back after a half a decade.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
over rated coach on these boards, got out coached every playoff. im glad for change

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if Todd ends up in Detroit, that's provided Babcock doesn't stay there.

He was an assistant there under Babcock for a few years, not sure if he left there on bad terms. Not that I know of.

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Tippett would be awful.

The guy who somehow got the Coyotes to the playoffs year in and year out while being owned by the NHL, with virtually no real talent, or even coming close to spending to the cap...would be awful?

Okay

Here is a thought Dave Tippett had just as much success getting the Coyotes to game 5 of the Western Conference Final in 2012 as the Sharks have had since 2004.
I'll let you sit with that knowledge for awhile.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The guy who somehow got the Coyotes to the playoffs year in and year out while being owned by the NHL, with virtually no real talent, or even coming close to spending to the cap...would be awful?

Okay

Here is a thought Dave Tippett had just as much success getting the Coyotes to game 5 of the Western Conference Final in 2012 as the Sharks have had since 2004.

He didn't say tippett was terrible at coaching. He's saying
that it would suck to have Tippett coaching Tippett hockey in San Jose

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Okay

:laugh: So you want another chip and chase coach? Personally I don't give a **** what he's done, the game has changed since his last playoff appearance. Hitchcock adapted, Yeo adapted, Sutter adapted, Tippet hasn't.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Seems like it's a family decision too. They'll be staying, regardless of where Todd works.

So, more than likely a Western Conference team.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I just read this article: http://thehockeywriters.com/not-surprising-mclellan-wanted-out-of-san-jose/

I know the media loves to spin stuff, but if their is any merit to it, I will completely jump on the get rid of DW bandwagon.

Doesn't mean anything, but I honestly don't doubt any of this and already thought this might be the case. Not that this confirms it, but just would not be a surprise to me.

I agree, Wilson should stay as president at most, Sharks need a new GM at this point. For all the good he's done he's created a toxic situation that is likely both unwilling and unable to repair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad