Post-Game Talk: Sharks 5, Chum 2

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Right. Especially in the first Sharks goal.

And with 4.00 GAA in the last two starts.

Reality is - Murray is back to his usual crappy self. The Stanley Cup Murray is long gone, maybe even forever.

You’re wrong. It is as easy as watching him play. He’s agressive again.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Yea, changes are coming.
Just hope 100% Riiko is in, then look at some of the trios i mentioned above.
Best they can do atm.

Yes, the biggest "change" we can expect is replacing one irrelevant bottom six D-man with another irrelevant bottom six D-man. Will make a world of a difference.

We've been waiting for GMJR to pull a big roster-shaking trade for months already. In vain.

This is almost as frustrating as Pens on-ice performance itself.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You are entitled to an opinion, buddy. I don't mind that at all.

That said, in my opinion, there are "ups and downs", and then there is complete lack of accountability and willingness to play competitive hockey. In my mind these are two very different things.

Anyway, thanks for not putting me on "ignore". Appreciate that.

They won 8 in a row. Where were you then?

Not saying there isn't legit reasons to be concerned, but so in general this team is experiencing the normal up and downs of a season. That said, I don't think many here would have them on par with the top few teams in the league this year and know JR and co have some work to do to get there.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If pro sports actually cause you legit anger, I suggest you avoid them.

Let's be honest, we all get angry at times watching pro sports. The beauty of being a sports fans, IMO, is the highs and lows. You just need to keep them in perspective with the rest of your actual life. It also depends what one does with that anger. For me, it's a moment or two but doesn't carry on long and doesn't really hit me much in the regular season.

As one gets older, the highs tend to be a little lower and the lows a little higher.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
People keep harping on the effort...it wasn’t the effort, at least not initially...perhaps when they realized the Sharks were much better than them and it was 1-3, the players didn’t try as hard to kill themselves, but they came out trying hard and were just blown off the puck by the Sharks...they are not as good, that’s the reality...this team is a borderline PO team and not a true contender...it’s not just missing Horny and ZAR...they need a few better players playing, stronger on the puck and with speed, a couple players that can play with both pace and physicality...not saying Horny and ZAR won’t help but they’re not in the same league as Hertl and Kane...need another PMD too, hopefully Schultz is back at top form immediately but doubtful

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You are entitled to an opinion, buddy. I don't mind that at all.

That said, in my opinion, there are "ups and downs", and then there is complete lack of accountability and willingness to play competitive hockey. In my mind these are two very different things.

Anyway, thanks for not putting me on "ignore". Appreciate that.

The regular season is a marathon, not a sprint. Not sure how many times you and others in this fanbase have to watch NHL seasons play out before that registers.

The SC champs are on a three game losing streak, got ass whipped 7-2 by Nashville, and just lost first place in the division for the first time since early in the season.

Shit happens. Pens also still need to make some changes, most people are aware of that despite having a big winning streak.

That doesn’t make all the players idiots and morons and worthless or whatever stupidity you want to spout. I think Wilson may be the worst player I’ve ever seen on the Pens, and I despise ZAR, so I have no problem saying a guy blows.... but calling them idiots, morons, etc just makes you look like a fool.

Guys can be bad at hockey and still be intelligent or good people.

Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
People keep harping on the effort...it wasn’t the effort, at least not initially...perhaps when they realized the Sharks were much better than them and it was 1-3, the players didn’t try as hard to kill themselves, but they came out trying hard and were just blown off the puck by the Sharks...they are not as good, that’s the reality...this team is a borderline PO team and not a true contender...it’s not just missing Horny and ZAR...they need a few better players playing, stronger on the puck and with speed, a couple players that can play with both pace and physicality...not saying Horny and ZAR won’t help but they’re not in the same league as Hertl and Kane...need another PMD too, hopefully Schultz is back at top form immediately but doubtful

Missing Horny and Schultz. Those are two pretty big pieces. Like it or not, Horny has been the straw that stirs the drink for this team for years and a 100% Schultz stabilizes the defense and pairings pretty nicely.

Yes they still have issues, but ones that can be solved with a smart trade or 2 if it's out there. I wouldn't really call this team a borderline playoff team when all is said and done, but they aren't a serious contender if they don't make another move.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Missing Horny and Schultz. Those are two pretty big pieces. Like it or not, Horny has been the straw that stirs the drink for this team for years and a 100% Schultz stabilizes the defense and pairings pretty nicely.

Yes they still have issues, but ones that can be solved with a smart trade or 2 if it's out there. I wouldn't really call this team a borderline playoff team when all is said and done, but they aren't a serious contender if they don't make another move.

Agree, they need a serious move or they won’t make it past the ECF at best, and at this point their record says they are playing like the bottom of the EC PO field...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wasn't the LA game supposed to be a "wake up call"? Or the 1st period against the Ducks?

Seeing how many times "wake up call" is mentioned by fans and media, these guys (players) must have some pretty bad case of deep deep lethargic sleep, they need so many wake up calls bring them back to life.

I mean.. fair enough. This team has just proven time and time again they need a little rough spot to turn things into a positive. If it hasn't happened so damn much, i'd say otherwise.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The regular season is a marathon, not a sprint. Not sure how many times you and others in this fanbase have to watch NHL seasons play out before that registers.

The SC champs are on a three game losing streak, got ass whipped 7-2 by Nashville, and just lost first place in the division for the first time since early in the season.

Exactly. Even Tampa got blown up 5-1 recently, the Leafs have lost 4 out of 5, we destroyed Winnipeg a few games ago and on their forum it was all doom and gloom (only for the team to go on a winning streak soon after). We lose two games and the sky is falling. Let's face it, the regular season has far too many games and every team has periods where they don't play well, often it even seems to be semi-intentional because you have to save energy for the playoffs. And no, this doesn't guarantee that we won't crash and burn in the playoffs, of course, but it doesn't mean that we will either. Notice how many President's Trophy winners crash out early.

Reactions: ncm7772

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i don’t think there’s any greater issue at play or need for a wake up call. they have forward injuries and their 3c is a passenger on a good day. in that situation the coaches can not afford to shoot themselves in the foot by turning a functional 2nd pair in riikola and maatta into an absolute train wreck that spends 1/4th of the game sabotaging whoever else is unlucky enough to be on the ice with them. it cascades and puts more pressure on johnson etc. it killed every single malkin shift. he had a bad game but there were shifts where he came out pissed off and looking to make something happen and this pair couldn’t do shit and ruined every shift. they don’t have room to f*** around like this with horny and zar out. and everyone f***ing knew this was a dumb thing to do. i really think this one absolutely stupid coaching decision has a major negative ripple effect on the team

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
What is the buzz from Pierre McGuire about the Penguins probably wanting to move on from Brassard?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I had a blast. Yeah man sucks they lost but I had a great time watching live hockey.

It's nice seeing home team hat tricks. Who cares if it was the opposition? It's hockey. It's fun.

Also got to make fun of some likely 2016+ Pens "fan" who kept chanting "Let's Go Penguins.". Lol what a dork :banghead:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I had a blast. Yeah man sucks they lost but I had a great time watching live hockey.

It's nice seeing home team hat tricks. Who cares if it was the opposition? It's hockey. It's fun.

Also got to make fun of some likely 2016+ Pens "fan" who kept chanting "Let's Go Penguins.". Lol what a dork :banghead:

When you get 1/2 games a year to see your favorite team live, have at it. Some can be happy with what they can get.

Games like last night, yeah, rough, but it really isn't all that where you can't let it slide and go into comic relief.

Next time go with the horn and make feel like a home game. Horn>>>>"Let's Go Pens!"

Last edited:

Angrrus

May 24, 2017

**** happens. Pens also still need to make some changes, most people are aware of that despite having a big winning streak.

That doesn’t make all the players idiots and morons and worthless or whatever stupidity you want to spout. I think Wilson may be the worst player I’ve ever seen on the Pens, and I despise ZAR, so I have no problem saying a guy blows.... but calling them idiots, morons, etc just makes you look like a fool.

Guys can be bad at hockey and still be intelligent or good people.

Just something to keep in mind.

Out of 4 months of current season, Pens have had only 1 good one (December). According to my calculation, that is roughly 25% of the part of the season that has already been played. That's a lot worse than a 3-game losing streak Caps are on.

And I call them names strictly in hockey context. I totally believe that in normal life they are fantastic intelligent nice people. But here I am talking only about what happens on the ice and around it.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
They won 8 in a row. Where were you then?

Not saying there isn't legit reasons to be concerned, but so in general this team is experiencing the normal up and downs of a season. That said, I don't think many here would have them on par with the top few teams in the league this year and know JR and co have some work to do to get there.

Apart from those 8 games, Pens have been bad to terrible, by their standard, all through 3,5 months of this season. So - yes, there are plenty of hugely legit causes for concern.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Out of 4 months of current season, Pens have had only 1 good one (December). According to my calculation, that is roughly 25% of the part of the season that has already been played. That's a lot worse than a 3-game losing streak Caps are on.

And I call them names strictly in hockey context. I totally believe that in normal life they are fantastic intelligent nice people. But here I am talking only about what happens on the ice and around it.

Looks like November was the only bad month. October and December were excellent and January is just ok so far.

October 6-2-2 (115 point pace)
November 4-7-3 (64 point pace)
December 11-3-1 (126 point pace)
January 4-3-0 (94 point pace)

We are at a 100 point pace overall

Reactions: ncm7772

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Looks like November was the only bad month. October and December were excellent and January is just ok so far.

October 6-2-2 (115 point pace)
November 4-7-3 (64 point pace)
December 11-3-1 (126 point pace)
January 4-3-0 (94 point pace)

We are at a 100 point pace overall

Aren't all 3 losses in Jan when Olek has played? ;)

Reactions: EightyOne

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Aren't all 3 losses in Jan when Olek has played? ;)

It still boggles my mind why the coaching staff re-inserted Oleksiak into the lineup when the team was winning.

You don't make changes like that when the team is winning. Maybe it's something you look at if the team was on a slide, but not when you're winning and the pairings were actually looking good.

Sullivan does a lot of things right, but he can make some really weird lineup decisions. That, plus the organization's infatuation with calling up and using Garrett Wilson instead of trying one of the more talented/faster WBS kids.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
What is the buzz from Pierre McGuire about the Penguins probably wanting to move on from Brassard?
JR and Sully have both made comments to the effect of him being underwhelming/disappointing. Brass has been a total bust in every role they have thrown at him, and with that, there is probably good reason to believe JR has been shopping him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad