Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part III ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Neuvirth is a real #1B. But yeah, zero chance I'd trade anything significant for him.

I actually wouldn't quibble if DW spent a 2017 3rd + 2016 6th/7th + Stalock for Neuvirth. Salary works, since there's only $25,000 difference between the cap hits of each guy, and Neuvirth is signed through next year, too. (and it gives the Fliers an extra 1.6mil cap space next year too) I think he'd be a good backup, and might well be good enough to keep the team afloat in the case of an injury to Jones.

His age is right, his cap hit is right, he's not a rental, his skill/talent level is right, etc. I can't see any downsides here, even if we do get up into the 3rd round + territory. He's obviously a better goalie than any we'd likely get with that 3rd round pick, and we need to get SOMEONE for the role. The only risk I see is of him leaving after the 2017 season because he wants to be a starter somewhere, and I can live with that risk, I think.

edit: Just threw up a "Value Of" thread about Neuvirth on the main trade forums. I guess we'll see what kind of response we get from Philly phans.

Last edited:

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
So far, the main response I've gotten is that Neuvirth is their current #1G, and they don't have anyone who can step in and replace him until one of their prospects, Stolarz, is ready. So, they might need to hang on to Neuvirth at least until the offseason, since they don't have a replacement ready. (and obviously Stalock wouldn't be that guy there either.) We'll see what other responses we get going forward.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Reading through the Angry Koala thread on the main boards, and what may finally be them blowing up their core, I've seen calls for them to go get a #1D, and offer anything except for Drai, Klefbom, Nurse & McDavid, and this very specifically includes their 2016 1st being on the table.

Well, we know The Todd liked Burns, and we know Burns likes him back. What if Edmonton ends up with the #2 or #3 OA pick and comes to us with an offer of Hall or RNH + that pick for Burns? What would or what should we do? How about if they win the lotto and it's the #1OA? If we wouldn't do it for #2/3, would we do it for Matthews?

Do you guys think this is at all a likely scenario? After all, Burns would be a nearly perfect fit for what they need to turn their team around. Thoughts?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Reading through the Angry Koala thread on the main boards, and what may finally be them blowing up their core, I've seen calls for them to go get a #1D, and offer anything except for Drai, Klefbom, Nurse & McDavid, and this very specifically includes their 2016 1st being on the table.

Well, we know The Todd liked Burns, and we know Burns likes him back. What if Edmonton ends up with the #2 or #3 OA pick and comes to us with an offer of Hall or RNH + that pick for Burns? What would or what should we do? How about if they win the lotto and it's the #1OA? If we wouldn't do it for #2/3, would we do it for Matthews?

Do you guys think this is at all a likely scenario? After all, Burns would be a nearly perfect fit for what they need to turn their team around. Thoughts?

I doubt Burns could fetch that much, especially on an expiring contract. If Subban becomes available, Edmonton could probably snatch him up for that package.

An idealized offseason:

Marleau for Hornqvist (contract dump), Pitt's 2018 1st, 2nd, and 2017 2nd.

Sharks take Pittsburgh's 2018 picks, add Braun and Nieto, and send it to Montreal for Subban.

Hornqvist-Thornton-Pavelski
Wingels-Couture-Donskoi
Goldoblin-Hertl-Ward
Zubrus-Tierney-Karlsson
Goodrow

Vlasic-Subban
Martin-Burns
Dillon-Demelo
Mueller

Should be a tight fit, cap-wise.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California

It's a great thought and I'd love for that to happen, but I think it's more realistic that Edmonton offer a package like that for a younger, franchise changing dman like OEL or Subban. Both are a lot younger than Burns and would fit right into their young core. That being said, I still think they would love to get Burns, but not at the cost of a top 3 pick. Just my opinion.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
It's a great thought and I'd love for that to happen, but I think it's more realistic that Edmonton offer a package like that for a younger, franchise changing dman like OEL or Subban. Both are a lot younger than Burns and would fit right into their young core. That being said, I still think they would love to get Burns, but not at the cost of a top 3 pick. Just my opinion.

Well, the Edmonton fans on their board were specifically stating that they'd be pissed as hell if the Oilers actually DIDN'T trade their 1st round pick, because they need that D that badly. So, given how universal that opinion was, I tend to think it'll be in play.

As for Subban, I don't think Montreal will move him. They'd face too huge a fan fallout if they did that, I think. I also think the rumors of internal drama are specifically due to Therrien not liking Subban, but from what I've seen Habs fans say, Therrien is likely out the door after this year anyway. I also doubt Arizona deals OEL anywhere, given they have nothing behind him to replace him. At least we have Vlasic as our #1b, especially if his offensive improvement isn't a one year anomaly.

The other reason I suspect they'd at least consider targeting Burns is the link between him & McLellan. I think they probably wouldn't see his age as a negative, because he could command the room given his stature in a way that a youngster would not. Also, given his fire and force of personality, he'd likely be able to give them the kicks in the ass necessary to start to break them out of their current loafing/coasting habits. In short, he could be the leader that team so desperately needs.

Anyway, do you think we'd take it if they came to us with a Godfather type offer anything like what I listed? How big would the offer have to be to get the Sharks to bite on it? I would assume that as part of the deal the Oilers would negotiate an extension with Burns so that they could remove the worry about leaving as a FA after 1 year, so I don't see that as depressing his value.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Well, the Edmonton fans on their board were specifically stating that they'd be pissed as hell if the Oilers actually DIDN'T trade their 1st round pick, because they need that D that badly. So, given how universal that opinion was, I tend to think it'll be in play.

As for Subban, I don't think Montreal will move him. They'd face too huge a fan fallout if they did that, I think. I also think the rumors of internal drama are specifically due to Therrien not liking Subban, but from what I've seen Habs fans say, Therrien is likely out the door after this year anyway. I also doubt Arizona deals OEL anywhere, given they have nothing behind him to replace him. At least we have Vlasic as our #1b, especially if his offensive improvement isn't a one year anomaly.

The other reason I suspect they'd at least consider targeting Burns is the link between him & McLellan. I think they probably wouldn't see his age as a negative, because he could command the room given his stature in a way that a youngster would not. Also, given his fire and force of personality, he'd likely be able to give them the kicks in the ass necessary to start to break them out of their current loafing/coasting habits. In short, he could be the leader that team so desperately needs.

Anyway, do you think we'd take it if they came to us with a Godfather type offer anything like what I listed? How big would the offer have to be to get the Sharks to bite on it? I would assume that as part of the deal the Oilers would negotiate an extension with Burns so that they could remove the worry about leaving as a FA after 1 year, so I don't see that as depressing his value.

Fans and management have a completely different thinking when it comes to 1st round picks. Especially if the pick is going to be a top 5 pick in a draft that has a potential generational star going 1st.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I doubt Burns could fetch that much, especially on an expiring contract. If Subban becomes available, Edmonton could probably snatch him up for that package.

An idealized offseason:

Marleau for Hornqvist (contract dump), Pitt's 2018 1st, 2nd, and 2017 2nd.

Sharks take Pittsburgh's 2018 picks, add Braun and Nieto, and send it to Montreal for Subban.

Hornqvist-Thornton-Pavelski
Wingels-Couture-Donskoi
Goldoblin-Hertl-Ward
Zubrus-Tierney-Karlsson
Goodrow

Vlasic-Subban
Martin-Burns
Dillon-Demelo
Mueller

Should be a tight fit, cap-wise.

That offer is of absolutely no interest to Montreal.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Hopefully DW goes in hard on some of the oilers players in the offseason.

I'd target hall

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hopefully DW goes in hard on some of the oilers players in the offseason.

I'd target hall

And trade what to get at least close to his six mil cap hit? If the Oilers trade Hall, it's going to be for someone like Burns or Vlasic. I can't see the Sharks giving either up, not even for Hall.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I'd really love to know who the Oilers think they can target with their core? Nashville wasn't interested in their pieces when they were trying to acquire a number 1 center for Seth Jones. I don't know of any teams that feel that have enough depth on defense to up and deal any of their young potential top defenseman. Would Phoenix honestly entertain Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins or anyone else for OEL? That would set Phoenix back significantly.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
And trade what to get at least close to his six mil cap hit? If the Oilers trade Hall, it's going to be for someone like Burns or Vlasic. I can't see the Sharks giving either up, not even for Hall.

Yep every star player is a pure hockey trade. Just like Hamilton, seguin, kessel etc.

Marleau is someone that could be gone this summer which would open that cap space.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yep every star player is a pure hockey trade. Just like Hamilton, seguin, kessel etc.

Marleau is someone that could be gone this summer which would open that cap space.

A trade involving marleau will also take back a pretty good chunk in the trade. Marleau will not be traded for futures and picks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Do you really have to make a strawman out of every damn thing said? Edmonton's not going to trade Hall for the sake of getting rid of him. They're going to trade Hall for the sake of getting a top d-man that they desperately need.

As for Marleau, if we're going to play along with that little fairy tale, none of the teams he'd accept a trade to are in a position to take on his cap hit w/o sending back practically the same amount.

So again, since you decided to avoid answering the question, trade what to get close to that six mil cap hit of Hall's?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
A trade involving marleau will also take back a pretty good chunk in the trade. Marleau will not be traded for futures and picks.

Actually I would think that is exactly what he would be traded for. I don't see DW trading Marleau till this off-season and will target young prospects and our picks. It is likely that DW retains salary on Patty for that last year.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Wow your crystal ball is in perfect working condition.

Tell me mr brilliant one. What contender can take on a near 6 million of cap space?

Or are you still one of the clueless ones that think marleau will accept a trade any where in the league just to make san jose happy?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Actually I would think that is exactly what he would be traded for. I don't see DW trading Marleau till this off-season and will target young prospects and our picks. It is likely that DW retains salaray on Patty for that last year.

What contemder can take on near 6 million i cap space? Marleau has a no move clause. He is not going to go to a team that can easily take on his cap hit. He will be going to a team that is a contender for the cup and if you actually look at the contenders and there cap space. It is not happening.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Do you really have to make a strawman out of every damn thing said? Edmonton's not going to trade Hall for the sake of getting rid of him. They're going to trade Hall for the sake of getting a top d-man that they desperately need.

As for Marleau, if we're going to play along with that little fairy tale, none of the teams he'd accept a trade to are in a position to take on his cap hit w/o sending back practically the same amount.

So again, since you decided to avoid answering the question, trade what to get close to that six mil cap hit of Hall's?

Literally all I said is he should go in hard. Just like you said you be "in on the Hamilton proposal"

But fine. I'd try Meier + 1st for hall. Play the character card and see where I get. At the very least it's starting the convo.

And they tried to move rnh for a top dman. Didn't work. They will get a lot less value out of these guys than they want. But whatever.

As for marleau, who knows what teams in the offseason do. Rosters are rarely static in the summer and arguing based off of the present is short sighted.

And lol at straw man. I just gave you comparable situations. Toxic players moved for pennies on the dollar. Especially kessel and seguin. At least the perception. You want to call it a straw man be my guest but you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland