Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part III ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I honestly think they would rather take a pick back, than Galimov. I saw a bit of him and he's decent, but nothing to write home about. But who knows maybe the Avs like him enough to take a gamble on him coming over.

Losing the extra year on Berra's contract could be enticing as well, they'll need the money to re-sign Barrie and Nate. And Pickard is the #2 as soon as next season according to Sakic.

What kind of pick do you think they'd be looking for?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Honest question. Is Berra really an upgrade over Stalock? Berra's career stats are worse than that of Stalock and he has another year left on his contract at $1.5M. I know Berra's stats this year are better than Stalock but I am not sure I feel comfortable with Berra being a backup in the playoffs.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Honest question. Is Berra really an upgrade over Stalock? Berra's career stats are worse than that of Stalock and he has another year left on his contract at $1.5M. I know Berra's stats this year are better than Stalock but I am not sure I feel comfortable with Berra being a backup in the playoffs.

Other then berras rookie season with the flames which he put up a .897 save%. Berra has put up .922, .914, .918 and this year .975.

Sure his goals against average has not been the best. But he has been apart of 2 crappy franchises in the flames and the avs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Other then berras rookie season with the flames which he put up a .897 save%. Berra has put up .922, .914, .918 and this year .975.

Sure his goals against average has not been the best. But he has been apart of 2 crappy franchises in the flames and the avs.

That .975 is his one AHL game. He's put up a .922 save percentage in 14 games this season. The issue with Berra right now is health. That ankle of his is shaky right now and why he's on a conditioning loan.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Back ups don't feature a whole lot in the playoffs unless it's a tandem or someone is injured. Att his point in the season a back up would need to be dirt cheap for me to be okay with it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hope Polak can make it in to the lineup tomorrow. I do not want to rush Dillon back. Since Mueller has finally started doing well on the top-pairing on the Barracuda, I would rather let him continue to play there and keep building confidence.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Back ups don't feature a whole lot in the playoffs unless it's a tandem or someone is injured. Att his point in the season a back up would need to be dirt cheap for me to be okay with it.

I think 1rst in the division is hugely important, so I'd be good with it if it's cheap. I don't know if it has to be "dirt cheap" lol.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Q
I think 1rst in the division is hugely important, so I'd be good with it if it's cheap. I don't know if it has to be "dirt cheap" lol.

I guess that's true. Anything past the 3rd round I could do and any prospect picked outside of the first two rounds.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
If our season hinges on who our backup goalie is for the last 14 games of the regular season then we probably aren't gonna win anything anyway.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
If our season hinges on who our backup goalie is for the last 14 games of the regular season then we probably aren't gonna win anything anyway.

Well, we'll probably need to play our backup 5-6 more times at least in the regular season, especially if we want to give Jones any rest at all before the playoffs. Stalock playing those games gives us a significantly lower chance of winning them. Given how tight things are in the Pacific, those extra losses from playing Stalock over potential trade pickup could be the difference in winning the division and getting to watch LA and Anaheim spend the first round beating the crap out of each other, or having to play one of them in the first round and then meet the other in the 2nd.

Will a upgrade to our backup make or break getting to the playoffs? Nope, so I wouldn't say our season hinges on getting one. But how far we go is definitely going to be impacted by seeding, and I'd like the maximum possible chance to win the division. Especially if we can do it for a prospect like Galimov we aren't planning on contributing any time soon, or some later round pick. I'm not saying we should go get Reimer or someone like that to be our backup goalie, but we could absolutely use an upgrade at the position, and it might matter a lot.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Well, we'll probably need to play our backup 5-6 more times at least in the regular season, especially if we want to give Jones any rest at all before the playoffs. Stalock playing those games gives us a significantly lower chance of winning them. Given how tight things are in the Pacific, those extra losses from playing Stalock over potential trade pickup could be the difference in winning the division and getting to watch LA and Anaheim spend the first round beating the crap out of each other, or having to play one of them in the first round and then meet the other in the 2nd.

Will a upgrade to our backup make or break getting to the playoffs? Nope, so I wouldn't say our season hinges on getting one. But how far we go is definitely going to be impacted by seeding, and I'd like the maximum possible chance to win the division. Especially if we can do it for a prospect like Galimov we aren't planning on contributing any time soon, or some later round pick. I'm not saying we should go get Reimer or someone like that to be our backup goalie, but we could absolutely use an upgrade at the position, and it might matter a lot.

Our playoff success could also be very impacted by the health of our goalie, and his exhaustion level. Having a quality backup and removing some game from Jones schedule could go a long way towards preventing a goaltending melt down mid playoffs.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Our playoff success could also be very impacted by the health of our goalie, and his exhaustion level. Having a quality backup and removing some game from Jones schedule could go a long way towards preventing a goaltending melt down mid playoffs.

Agreed. I think some people are underestimating both the value of a quality backup, and just how badly Stalock has played. I mean, they had to play Jones in both games of a back-to-back, that was the 3rd game in 4 nights. That's insane. You honestly think that if Stalock was even an average-level backup that he wouldn't have played one of those two games? We definitely need to get Jones more rest before the playoffs if we want to have a good run. The only two ways of possibly doing that are a) promoting Dell and sending Stalock down, which the team seems to not be interested in doing, and b) acquiring help from outside.

So, if we can get that done for a prospect like Galimov, who other teams might value because he has potential top-6 upside, but that we're not expecting to see here any time soon, then you have to do it. For the right backup, (i.e. young, not a rental, cost controlled for a while), I'd probably do as much as a 3rd, assuming they'd take one in 2017. I'd also do a 4th in 2017 and a 2016 5th if the other team would prefer. They'd have to take Stalock back to make the cap work, but I think we need to do something. So, if they're not willing to call Dell up, that only leaves us one choice.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Kurz is suggesting Neuvirth as another option. Thoughts? Signed for next season at the amount I'd hope DW allocates to the backup G so that's a plus.

Some guy on that tweet thinks the Sharks should trade goldobin for him. No thanks. Neuvirth would be great but not at the cost of goldobin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA