Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part III ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
RIP LZ. lalala

sad-dug-animated.gif

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
150 views that had only "Carry On" to read :laugh:

On topic: I really like Kadri is he's on the block.

Hertl/Jumbo/Pavs, Marleau/Kadri/Ward or Nieto, Donskoi/Couture/Nieto or Ward, Karlsson/Tierney/Wingels

That's an awesome lineup :D

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I just went over to hockeybuzz (yes, I wore latex gloves to prevent myself from catching anything from them ;) ) and apparently he's updated some of his rumor stuff. Most of it is behind a paywall (me, pay hockeybuzz for anything? Not bloody likely), but there was one item that wasn't that stood out. They just updated their odds numbers for Shattenkirk. The odds for the Sharks just went from 0 to 30%, which is the highest odds of any of the listed suitors. (Tampa, for example, is listed at 10%, and even St. Louis is listed at 20% for some reason.)

Now, I know Shattenkirk would be a perfect pickup, but do you guys think that rumor has any more of a factual basis than the normal dreck from Eklund? If it is, what in hell would we have to give up to get him, especially considering he's got another year after this one? Barring trading roster players, I'd think a deal would HAVE to be based around one of Goldobin or Meier, seeing as how St. Louis needs offense badly, and I don't think we really have any other pieces that would even get us in the ballpark for a trade. Would Shattenkirk be worth giving up either one? Hell, maybe this could be a Marleau destination? We'd have to sweeten that deal, obviously, but Marleau would help them offensively if they stick him with a good line, and that's what they most need. Would getting Shattenkirk make up for the loss of Marleau? (or could we then use Marleau's cap space to take on a bad Leaf contract as part of getting Kadri?)

Personally, I don't see any real reason why St. Louis would trade him during this season. Before the draft next offseason I could certainly see a trade, but I am not so sure about right now, seeing as how they're in the playoff race, if going through a slump right now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Now, I know Shattenkirk would be a perfect pickup, but do you guys think that rumor has any more of a factual basis than the normal dreck from Eklund? If it is, what in hell would we have to give up to get him, especially considering he's got another year after this one? Barring trading roster players, I'd think a deal would HAVE to be based around one of Goldobin or Meier, seeing as how St. Louis needs offense badly, and I don't think we really have any other pieces that would even get us in the ballpark for a trade. Would Shattenkirk be worth giving up either one?

I don't see why Shattenkirk would be traded when St. Louis is solidly in playoff contention. If for some random reason he was, I don't see how we get him for anything short of Meier + a 2nd round pick + another good piece. He's only what 26-27? He also has another year or two on his deal right? The Sharks would certainly have to pay out the ass to get him, and I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. However, if they do get him, then the Sharks are all-in this year and next year, which would be exciting for us fans! :)

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I don't see why Shattenkirk would be traded when St. Louis is solidly in playoff contention. If for some random reason he was, I don't see how we get him for anything short of Meier + a 2nd round pick + another good piece. He's only what 26-27? He also has another year or two on his deal right? The Sharks would certainly have to pay out the ass to get him, and I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. However, if they do get him, then the Sharks are all-in this year and next year, which would be exciting for us fans! :)

From what I've read, he'd be traded because St. Louis' offense has been TERRIBLE, and they're desperately in need of help in that area. They have something like 5 goals in the last 5 games combined, if I remember right. Plus, Parayko's ascendancy makes Shattenkirk at least slightly redundant. There's also worries the Blues can't afford to re-sign him, since his contract finishes up at the same time they will need to give Parayko a new contract and big raise.

I agree, though. I don't think it's that likely that they trade him this season for futures, unless they really fall off a cliff and start looking like they might fall out of playoff contention. If they DO start crapping the bed like Montreal has, then I'd think a trade for futures becomes much more likely. Barring that, though, I think the most likely scenario is a trade before the draft this upcoming offseason.

Now, if they think Marleau will be an immediate help to their struggling offense and DW is willing to pay whatever sweetener St. Louis requires to move a 27 year old for a 36 year old, then I could see this happening this season. That assumes, of course, that Marleau would waive for St. Louis, and I have *NO* idea the likelihood of THAT.

WOULD Shattenkirk be worth losing Marleau? Would we have to acquire another forward for the top 6 in another trade if we did that, to at least partially replace his production?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
From what I've read, he'd be traded because St. Louis' offense has been TERRIBLE, and they're desperately need of help in that area. They have something like 5 goals in the last 5 games combined, if I remember right. Plus, Parayko's ascendancy makes Shattenkirk at least slightly redundant. There's also worries the Blues can't afford to re-sign him, since his contract finishes up at the same time they will need to give Parayko a new contract.

I agree, though. I don't think it's that likely that they trade him this season for futures, unless they really fall off a cliff and start looking like they might fall out of playoff contention. Of course, if they start crapping the bed like Montreal has, then I'd think a trade for futures becomes much more likely.

Now, if they think Marleau will be an immediate help to their struggling offense and DW is willing to pay whatever sweetener St. Louis requires to move a 27 year old for a 36 year old, then I could see this happening this season. That assumes, of course, that Marleau would waive for St. Louis, and I have *NO* idea the likelihood of THAT.

WOULD Shattenkirk be worth losing Marleau? Would we have to acquire another forward for the top 6 in another trade if we did that, to at least partially replace his production?

I honestly don't think St. Louis does a Marleau for Shattenkirk trade...I actually am not sure what Blues fans would want for Shattenkirk. Meier + 2nd 2016 would hopefully be enough?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I honestly don't think St. Louis does a Marleau for Shattenkirk trade...I actually am not sure what Blues fans would want for Shattenkirk. Meier + 2nd 2016 would hopefully be enough?

They would want something for their playoff round, an offensive player, similar to Shattenkirk quality wise. Marleau is likely too old, but he is in the right hemisphere. Likely they'd want Hertl, Couture, Pavelski

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
They would want something for their playoff round, an offensive player, similar to Shattenkirk quality wise. Marleau is likely too old, but he is in the right hemisphere. Likely they'd want Hertl, Couture, Pavelski

None of which is give up. I'd maybe do couture if they added a conditional first on him resigning or maybe a good prospect.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Shattenkirk is too expensive. Always thought he is a bit overrated anyways.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

That's kind of what I expected, so yeah, no thank you.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
From what I've read, he'd be traded because St. Louis' offense has been TERRIBLE, and they're desperately in need of help in that area. They have something like 5 goals in the last 5 games combined, if I remember right. Plus, Parayko's ascendancy makes Shattenkirk at least slightly redundant. There's also worries the Blues can't afford to re-sign him, since his contract finishes up at the same time they will need to give Parayko a new contract and big raise.

I agree, though. I don't think it's that likely that they trade him this season for futures, unless they really fall off a cliff and start looking like they might fall out of playoff contention. If they DO start crapping the bed like Montreal has, then I'd think a trade for futures becomes much more likely. Barring that, though, I think the most likely scenario is a trade before the draft this upcoming offseason.

I think there is little argument to be made that the trade would not favor us. Atleast the way Patty has played this season. Shattenkirk has 27 points in 44 games. Patty has 32 in 50 games. One is a D-man and the other is a forward.

Losing Patty would hurt, but basically slot Couture back as the 2nd line C once Patty is gone. Try to acquire a decent 3rd line C by the TDL. That would be a lot easier (and most likely cheaper) than acquiring a top-6 Forward.

All this being said, there is no reason St. Louis should consider trading Shattenkirk for Patty unless there is a significant + coming from our side. As pointed above, both are scoring at a similar pace but Shattenkirk is younger, cheaper and also a D-man. Plus Marleau has been slumping badly off-late. St. Louis requires a boost in scoring and I am not quire sure Marleau in his current form quite fits the bill.

As a side note about our D, Kurz made an observation in one of his articles that pretty much pointed out the painfully obvious.

Their record when down one of their top four is just 1-6-1 with an abysmal goals-against average of 4.00

I know it is a small sample size, but that is a scary thought. If one of our top-4 go down in the playoffs, we have literally no one to step up. Unless we are brave enough to try Dillon in the top-4 and then ice a 3rd pairing with a combination of DeMelo-Tennyson/Mueller.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think there is little argument to be made that the trade would not favor us. Atleast the way Patty has played this season. Shattenkirk has 27 points in 44 games. Patty has 32 in 50 games. One is a D-man and the other is a forward.

Losing Patty would hurt, but basically slot Couture back as the 2nd line C once Patty is gone. Try to acquire a decent 3rd line C by the TDL. That would be a lot easier (and most likely cheaper) than acquiring a top-6 Forward.

All this being said, there is no reason St. Louis should consider trading Shattenkirk for Patty unless there is a significant + coming from our side. As pointed above, both are scoring at a similar pace but Shattenkirk is younger, cheaper and also a D-man. Plus Marleau has been slumping badly off-late. St. Louis requires a boost in scoring and I am not quire sure Marleau in his current form quite fits the bill.

Well, to be fair, Marleau's current slump in production may be as much about the role he's being asked to play right now and the linemates he has to work with. He's been a LW for years now, rather than a C, so he's had to adjust to that on the fly. Plus, the wingers he's had on his line aren't exactly top flight offensive goal scorers. He produced when he was with Couture before he got injured, and he produced at a much higher rate when he was on Hertl's wing as well. Also, it seems like he's being used in a defensive-oriented role rather than an offensively oriented one, which also cuts his numbers. And hell, we all know how streaky he can be, we've seen it for how many years? For all we know, in 2 weeks he'll have a 10 game stretch where he gets 8 goals and 17 points and we'll completely forget about the current slump.

If St. Louis puts him on their first or second line as a LW, and gives him a quality playmaking center to work with, I think his production would increase dramatically. Especially if he's told that his primary focus is to be on offense, rather than his current defensively oriented role. St. Louis could probably get away with that, since their D corps is pretty damn good, even without Shattenkirk, so they don't NEED him to concentrate on D as much as the Sharks do.

That said, I am in complete agreement that there's absolutely no way St. Louis makes that trade on a 1 for 1 basis. We'd have to sweeten the pot somehow, with at least a pretty decent young player. I don't know if we'd have to include Goldobin or Meier along with Patty, but there'd have to be SOME obviously valuable piece. Labanc or Shadow might fit the bill to some extent, given how much they're currently tearing it up in juniors. Does Marleau + one of Labanc/Shadow/Chartier + 3rd round pick get us close? I think probably, but I could be out way beyond left field, too.

There are obviously a couple issues there. Fear the Fin actually discussed the possibility of a Marleau for Shattenkirk swap a little while back. They said it seemed like a good fit for both sides, except that St. Louis would obviously want another quality piece given the age difference. On the other hand, Doug Wilson has fan sentiment to keep in mind, and given Marleau's stature among fans, there could be a very big public backlash for trading such a popular elder statesman of the team unless he is perceived as definitively winning the trade. As a result, DW would be very reluctant to add too much to the trade on top of Marleau. Also, we have no idea if Marleau would even agree to waive to go to the Blues. They're really not that much better a destination for him if his goal is winning a cup than the situation he's got now on the Sharks.

Still, getting Shattenkirk just makes way too much sense to completely ignore the possibility. Getting him fixes that D depth problem pretty much completely, as well as giving us an immediate boost to our defensive play and the potency of the 2nd PP unit, which I'd assume he'd QB, with Burns on the #1.

Now, if DW wants to REALLY catapult us into the ranks of serious Cup contenders, he'll find a way to trade for both Kadri and Shattenkirk, without losing any roster players other than Marleau. :nod: It would be like dream! Of course, the odds on that happening are, to put it mildly, "slim". :laugh: Still, a guy can dream, right? :D

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Kevin Kurz said he saw DW and Poile come out of room and DW said "let me know. Kurz thinks it may be about Marleau.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
How would people feel about buying low on Jiri Hudler who's apparently on the trading block according to Elliotte Friedman? He's not having a great year but he is one season removed from scoring 30 goals and nearly 80 points and he's unlikely to cost much more than a 2nd/3rd round pick and maybe a B-level prospect. I think he'd be a good fit with Couture and Marleau (who really needs to be moved back to wing) the way Havlat was on the brief occasions when he was healthy.

Hertl - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Hudler
Donskoi - Tierney - Ward
Nieto - Zubrus - Wingels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad