Confirmed with Link: Sharangovich + 3rd Round pick traded for Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Shero and "fantastic job" can't live in one sentence in hockey context.

He inherited the oldest team in the league with the worst prospect pool and basically almost no good young players. On the backend he sucked. Up front he set up the team to have a strong forward core and left us no hindering long term commitments. Shero did a fantastic job with the mess he was handed.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
He inherited the oldest team in the league with the worst prospect pool and basically almost no good young players. On the backend he sucked. Up front he set up the team to have a strong forward core and left us no hindering long term commitments. Shero did a fantastic job with the mess he was handed.

All of that is true, but he still was only marginally good. He made some mistakes, and he was let go legitimately.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Shero didn't do shit
Imagine where we would be right now if Shero's effort to make us competitive didn't fall off a cliff after one year?

Would be really bad.

Shero being a crappy team builder did allow us to accumulate high picks for a long time.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Open the Toffoli thread, Jim is bitching about Shero

1687963725157.png

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Shero and "fantastic job" can't live in one sentence in hockey context.
It's a narrative the anti-Lou contingent refuse to let go of.

It looked like it had merit for one season, but that quickly fell apart when Shero's inability to identify quality NHL d-men came to the forefront.

Not the Shero talk again :laugh:
I was done talking Toffoli anyways.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You are trying to fool. Yourself only. He traded picks for palms, Lars for Hall, lost value of a lot of picks. Because he tried to compete. All of his good assets are the reason of his failure. His defensive bulding strategy svcked, his defensive draft day strategy svcked.
Thanks to him for Hughes over Kakko, Nico over Nolan. That's all. Everything he tried to do he couldn't do. He lefted us with missed high second round picks.
I don't care that he didn't have good team and prospect pool. He didn't work well to make it better and lost a lot of picks for worser picks. If he tried to making real rebuild when had nothing, I would be okay with losing. But he tried to compete from the beginning. And for that retool strategy he was very passive on the market.

So fvck him, his stupid decisions, his stupid gambles and his desire to build defense his Shero way. Fitz was a man who cleaned the house after him.
So yeah, like Jim said, thanks for Fitz too.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was looking at Colton's statistics under the hood. He looks pretty crappy? Not interested.
Which #'s? I think there is plenty there to suggest he's a good 3rd liner.

That said, like the Shero talk(or maybe not like that:laugh:) this should go to the team thread.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Which #'s? I think there is plenty there to suggest he's a good 3rd liner.

That said, like the Shero talk(or maybe not like that:laugh:) this should go to the team thread.

The Athletic player card, but that's all I have access too. Maybe the others show differently.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The Athletic player card, but that's all I have access too. Maybe the others show differently.
Go to NatStat.

I mentioned it earler, but he put shots on net at a good rate, produced points at a good rate, goals very good, all while playing center with bottom 6 players.

His on ice look OK too, not great, but not bad.

Now I don't think he was given heavy defensive assignments, but I think his numbers look pretty good.

Fck Lou
Fck Shero

All praise the FitzGawd
Blood Sugar Fitz Magik

Last edited:

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Toffoli is a great addition to this team. RHS, playoff performer, goal scorer, prides himself on a 200ft game. Sad to see shara go but excited to see what Toffoli can do here. Some have pointed out his lack of foot speed but I don't think that will hold him back. I see him on the top 6 and PP1 this season.

Reactions: DevilDog

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If not Bahl then who? I think Bahl get's first dibs, and if he can't handle it, then we see Smith.

Bahl will PK but assuming Smith isn’t playing, and we all want to assume that, Bahl can’t replace both Graves and Severson on the PK.

That’s Marino, Siegenthaler, Bahl, and ?.

And Marino and Siegenthaler likely do better with dynamic partners but the kids can’t come in a PK right away.

And Bahl PK with Siegenthaler for about ~23 minutes and ~14 minutes with the rest of the defense last year, he’s pretty inexperienced.

This wasn’t a great place for this topic lol.

The PK was odd last year because the Marino/Graves pair basically had a horseshoe up their ass and just ended up playing a ton.

It ended up getting overused early in the Rags series so that was a minus but having a top PK was definitely a strength last year.

The Marino/Graves pair (112:17 minutes) had the 6th best GA/60 (4.95) among defensive pairs playing at least 50 minutes on the PK, and the 5 better ones all played less than 100 minutes. (They gave up 9 GA.)
Natural Stat Trick

They were 27th (7.67) in xGA/60 and 10th (90.72%) in On-Ice SV%.

The Siegenthaler/Marino pair (71:31 minutes) was 31st (7.93) in xGA/60 but 52nd (9.23) in GA/60. They were 39th (84.29%) in On-Ice SV%. (They gave up 11 GA.)

As a side note, Marc-Edourd Vlasic and Mario Ferraro played 90:17 minutes together on the PK and gave up 4 GA, making them #1 here with a GA/60 of 2.66.

They were 43rd (8.4) in xGA/60 and had a NHL best On-Ice SV% of 95.45%. WTF happened in San Jose lol.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Is it just me, or does Toffoli not look like a Dave Portnoy stunt-double?

Hate to sound optimistic, but if we broke all sorts of franchise records last year, it’s scary to think about what next year brings…if we avoid significant injuries. This team is a f***ing wagon
Portnoy is hideous and his hair looks like it was slicked in bacon grease. TT is a handsome lad with healthy locks. How dare you.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
not sure why there is Colton discussion here, but he is a solid middle 6er IMO

I don't know what goes into their defense metric, which don't look good on that card. His actual numbers look OK. Certainly not bottom quarter of the league bad. Maybe they skew it based on competition?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fitz panicked after Gaudreau, I think if they had a legit plan going into the day without waiting on Johnny Gaudreau then they would've signed Burakovsky earlier in the day and wouldn't have to basically spend a bag on Palat

I mean it's a valid point, it's the worst contract on the roster. But Palat had a lot go wrong last year similar to Dougie's first year here, I'll give him this year to prove his contract wasn't a total waste. Years 4+5 are gonna be a pain.

Flip Palat-Bratt if Holtz wins that last RW spot out of camp.

Bratt-Hughes-Holtz
Timo-Hischier-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Toffoli

And if Clarke wins it then I'd go with yours

Fitz specifically targeted Palat for his leadership and intangibles, and Burakovsky lacks those in comparison, so I doubt Palat was consolation prize for missing out Burakovsky.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Bahl will PK but assuming Smith isn’t playing, and we all want to assume that, Bahl can’t replace both Graves and Severson on the PK.

That’s Marino, Siegenthaler, Bahl, and ?.

And Marino and Siegenthaler likely do better with dynamic partners but the kids can’t come in a PK right away.

And Bahl PK with Siegenthaler for about ~23 minutes and ~14 minutes with the rest of the defense last year, he’s pretty inexperienced.

This wasn’t a great place for this topic lol.

The PK was odd last year because the Marino/Graves pair basically had a horseshoe up their ass and just ended up playing a ton.

It ended up getting overused early in the Rags series so that was a minus but having a top PK was definitely a strength last year.

The Marino/Graves pair (112:17 minutes) had the 6th best GA/60 (4.95) among defensive pairs playing at least 50 minutes on the PK, and the 5 better ones all played less than 100 minutes. (They gave up 9 GA.)
Natural Stat Trick

They were 27th (7.67) in xGA/60 and 10th (90.72%) in On-Ice SV%.

The Siegenthaler/Marino pair (71:31 minutes) was 31st (7.93) in xGA/60 but 52nd (9.23) in GA/60. They were 39th (84.29%) in On-Ice SV%. (They gave up 11 GA.)

As a side note, Marc-Edourd Vlasic and Mario Ferraro played 90:17 minutes together on the PK and gave up 4 GA, making them #1 here with a GA/60 of 2.66.

They were 43rd (8.4) in xGA/60 and had a NHL best On-Ice SV% of 95.45%. WTF happened in San Jose lol.
Well yeah, we want to add a RHD that can play on the PK. Don't want Smith in that spot but I guess we could do that too.

And yeah, I knew there was another discussion I've been in on in this thread that didn't belong. Shero, this, and something else now which I forget.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Fitz panicked after Gaudreau, I think if they had a legit plan going into the day without waiting on Johnny Gaudreau then they would've signed Burakovsky earlier in the day and wouldn't have to basically spend a bag on Palat

I mean it's a valid point, it's the worst contract on the roster. But Palat had a lot go wrong last year similar to Dougie's first year here, I'll give him this year to prove his contract wasn't a total waste. Years 4+5 are gonna be a pain.

Flip Palat-Bratt if Holtz wins that last RW spot out of camp.

Bratt-Hughes-Holtz
Timo-Hischier-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Toffoli

And if Clarke wins it then I'd go with yours
Bratt Hughes Holtz doesn’t fill me with confidence that they would be a good , effective like in all areas of the ice . They may score a ton but wiiid probably give up a lot of goals as well unless they can posses the puck most of the time. Who is going to retrieve the puck if they lose possession? Jack is good at takeaways but no one is hood st board battles

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Bratt Hughes Holtz doesn’t fill me with confidence that they would be a good , effective like in all areas of the ice . They may score a ton but wiiid probably give up a lot of goals as well unless they can posses the puck most of the time. Who is going to retrieve the puck if they lose possession? Jack is good at takeaways but no one is hood st board battles

Bratt-Jack have been able to work with anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad