Confirmed with Link: Sharangovich + 3rd Round pick traded for Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Anyways, not sure if the PP effect has been discussed.

But Toffoli, over the last 2 seasons, had 18 pp goals,. Had 10 this season, 2nd behind Kadri's 11 for Calgary. Top performers the last 2 seasons with the Devils: Jack with 16, Bratt and Nico with 11 each. Dougie with 10. Meier with SJ and NJ had 29.

Toffoli's 2.64 goals/60 goal rate over those 2 seasons was 3rd on Cal, behind Tkachuk(3/60), and Kadri(2.76). That rate would have ranked 2nd on the Devils behind only Meier(who was over 4/60 with both SJ and the Devils this season, and 3.5 with SJ last season).

41 pp points over the last 2 years, trails only Jack and his 46. It best's Bratt by 1 point. 25 pp points for Toffoli this season led Calgary, and would have ranked 3rd behind Jack and Dougie.

So I'm not sure where Toffoli is deployed on the PP, but I imagine he will be on the top unit, and my guess is he will be the net front? Meier will be the wing opposite Jack, and Bratt moves to the 2nd unit.

Top unit of Hamilton, Meier, Jack, Nico Toffoli.

I usually don't expect much from a 2nd unit, but with Bratt and Luke on there, that has to be tops in the league in terms of zone entries and rush attempts, which is imo, more important for a 2nd unit then how they perform setup in zone.

PP has gone from awful to meh, but continues to be a drag relative to 5v5 and PK, and I'm sure these moves by Fitz, from Hamilton, to Meier, and now Toffoli, do have this in mind.
I've been watching his highlights and Toffoli is a net front guy. A position that is badly needed in NJ.

No more need to play Bastian or Wood as a net front (Wood's already gone, Bastian could be soon).

Hischier was useless as a net front guy. Just didnt know what to do. So Toffoli employed in that position will be most welcomed.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

You can always want whatever, but Toffoli's next contract will even with severe discounts skyrocket in cap hit.

This is a great one year deal to reward the team and give them confidence boost. When you have a Toffoli's class player as cheap as he is it's obviously good for the locker room.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There is virtually no universe where I'm extending Toffoli. Palat has already taken the spot for aging overpaid veteran. As you've noted, another high salary slot needs to be taken up by Mercer and the cap is only going up by so much next season. Even at a $4 mil increase of cap there isn't really room for anyone else pricey absent restructuring the roster a bit more.

A 4 mil increase should subsidize Mercer's deal entirely. That's 4 mil with 2.325 in buyout money coming off the books. So it's essentially 6.325 increase for us. Then there's Mercer's ~895k. You could give him Nico money with no real change for us if we fill out the roster in a similar way to what we do this year. I think we can afford a small raise for Toffoli but I think it's more likely this is a one and done.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
Amazing stats about Expected +/- during career .
Toffoli is ranked 35 over 12 seasons

I'm surprised how high Tatar is there and Dougie is near

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Amazing stats about Expected +/- during career .
Toffoli is ranked 35 over 12 seasons

I'm surprised how high Tatar is there and Dougie is near

If Tatar's hands were a bit better he'd have been much more successful because he does so many things correctly.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If Tatar's hands were a bit better he'd have been much more successful because he does so many things correctly.
For as good as he is in helping control possession, he's lacking individually in terms of creating scoring chances. Goal rate is OK, shot rate is meh, first assist rate is about the worst on the team during his time here.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For as good as he is in helping control possession, he's lacking individually in terms of creating scoring chances. Goal rate is OK, shot rate is meh, first assist rate is about the worst on the team during his time here.
He makes smart safe plays but he's small and not dynamic so he doesn't have as much scoring prowess as he should. I can see the good and not so good when he plays but I'd move on at this point absent a one year deal that fits into the cap structure after Bahl is signed and whatever goalie move they have planned plays out.

Reactions: AusDev and Guadana

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He makes smart safe plays but he's small and not dynamic so he doesn't have as much scoring prowess as he should. I can see the good and not so good when he plays but I'd move on at this point absent a one year deal that fits into the cap structure after Bahl is signed and whatever goalie move they have planned plays out.
I'd rather Boq due to upside, but yeah, if Tatar is brought back cheaply on a one year that's OK.

Reactions: My3Sons

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hope people can see this tweet :

Hey Devils fans!! Kings fan here in peace

You guys are going to love TT. vid is a great example of who he is. Infectious attitude, good kid, just STREAKY. he is either as hot as Margot Robbie or as cold as the ice in the Foreigner song, but the effort is always there

Best of luck in 2023-24 . I expect you guys to be serious contenders in the East

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

You guys are going to love TT. vid is a great example of who he is. Infectious attitude, good kid, just STREAKY. he is either as hot as Margot Robbie or as cold at the ice in the Foreigner song, but the effort is always there

Best of luck in 2023-24 . I expect you guys to be serious contenders in the East
I keep on thinking that he was around when the Kings beat us during the Stanley Cup but I guess I'm wrong.:huh:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

You guys are going to love TT. vid is a great example of who he is. Infectious attitude, good kid, just STREAKY. he is either as hot as Margot Robbie or as cold at the ice in the Foreigner song, but the effort is always there

Honestly, just consistently having a lethal RH shot in our lineup should dramatically improve our powerplay. Even if he doesn't score, teams will have to respect him which will give our other shooters more time and space. We desperately need him (or Holtz) to be that guy this year (ideally both, one for each PP).

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Honestly, just consistently having a lethal RH shot in our lineup should dramatically improve our powerplay. Even if he doesn't score, teams will have to respect him which will give our other shooters more time and space. We desperately need him (or Holtz) to be that guy this year (ideally both, one for each PP).

indeed
I think he'll also be an excellent guy in the locker room.
he's won, he's lost and he can really be a great influence on your young core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad