TSN Radio Shanahan: No More Legends until current + future shows they are worthy

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Gilmour deserves to be on it more than Clark. He is the most iconic player of that era. Clark has more involvement though in alumni relations type stuff. Either way, I think its a ridiculous oversight.

Nah.

Clark is the consummate Leaf.

Dougie was a Blue, a Flame, a Devil. He passed through here nicely.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
isn't gilmour's number retired though? why can't he part of legends row? kinda dumb tbh.

if longevity is the issue then he shouldn't have a banner in the rafters either. and the banner is more significant than legends row.

not retired no. Might be honored but not retired.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
We only got Gilmour because Calgary was dumping him for off ice issues. Google "gilmour babysitter". He also left under a cloud by forcing a trade.

I am fine with him not being on legends row.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
We only got Gilmour because Calgary was dumping him for off ice issues. Google "gilmour babysitter". He also left under a cloud by forcing a trade.

He was with St Louis when that happened, wasn't indicted, and the girl's attorney got busted trying to extort the Blues to keep quiet.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
isn't gilmour's number retired though? why can't he part of legends row? kinda dumb tbh.

if longevity is the issue then he shouldn't have a banner in the rafters either. and the banner is more significant than legends row.

I guess that would be up to the individual but I would think a statue would be more significant.

I think there shouldn't be anybody there who didn't win a championship. It's "legends" row, not "Really Good And/Or Star Players Who We Enjoyed Watching Row".

I guess you could argue Sundin and/or Sittler on the basis of franchise scoring leads, but that's it. Certainly not Gilmour, and Clark should not be there either.

Hopefully Matthews/Marner will be up there one day.

I'm with you, no Gilmour or Clark.

Sucks but what can you do? Shouldn't have bothered trading him away anyway, especially given the package. Had he been here for 10 years he'd be a shoe in.

If Clark is up there Killer should be to. A real shame.

I wonder if Gilmour cross checked Shanahan from behind or something during the 1993 run to deserve this exclusion... :laugh:

Always felt a little ambivalent about Gilmour. Had a few monster, all-time seasons here in Toronto, but it was so brief, and the team went into steep decline the same time he did. He also departed to New Jersey under a bit of controversy. Coincidentally, Lou was the GM who plucked him away from Toronto. Oh well, it is what it is.

As I recall, he asked to be traded.

I hear Gilmour is a real jerk.

Lived in the same building as him during their run. Spoke many times, never saw that.

That was in St Louis and I thought that was thrown out?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I don't mind Wendel there, but I wouldn't be upset if he wasn't there either. He deserves it more than Gilmour because he's more of a Maple Leaf, not because he was better.

That said, I feel like they could have waited a while. Partially to see where Clark stands in Leafs lore as we move further away from his career, and partially because it feels like they just put everyone in there they could and now there'll be nothing for like 20 years.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Clark is to the Leafs what Linden is to the Canucks or Daneyko to the Devils. He's beloved by the fans and considered an important player to the franchise even if an objective look at him says otherwise.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder if Gilmour cross checked Shanahan from behind or something during the 1993 run to deserve this exclusion... :laugh:

Always felt a little ambivalent about Gilmour. Had a few monster, all-time seasons here in Toronto, but it was so brief, and the team went into steep decline the same time he did. He also departed to New Jersey under a bit of controversy. Coincidentally, Lou was the GM who plucked him away from Toronto. Oh well, it is what it is.
I thought the decision to trade Gilmour in 1997 had to do with where the team was at that time? I don't remember any controversy with him and the team. Also let's not forget Gilmour was traded back to the Leafs during the 2003 trade deadline. While his second time around only lasted 4:51 since he was injured in his first game back, he still retired as a Toronto Maple Leaf.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
i think adding Clark opened up the Gilmour thing. had they left Clark off - people would be irked - but they could get it. now you have the whole thing with this.

Gilmour had 2 MVP like seasons of the 6 both coming off the Leaf disaster that was the Ballard era which is why he's so loved. Having said that the other 4 seasons of his aren't worthy of not just not being on legends row but also having a banner up in his honor... lucky to even have that IMO.

Clark on the other hand as I mentioned the disaster Ballard era was the sole player during that era that Leaf fans had to be proud of that stretched well over 2 seasons in so many ways. To keep it short Clark didn't just represent the Leafs he was the Leafs through the 80's and was the heart & soul of the Burns era Leafs (even with Gilmour having 2 MVP caliber seasons) up until he was traded for who I say was the greatest Leaf of all time in Sundin.

Comparing what Clark gave the Toronto Maple Leafs organization to what Gilmour gave is nowhere near the same to go hand in hand.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Gilmour had also won the Hart Trophy in 1993 would that have made a difference of him being included into Legends Row? From what I remember about that year a lot of people think he should have won it instead of Marrio Lemieux.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Clark is to the Leafs what Linden is to the Canucks or Daneyko to the Devils. He's beloved by the fans and considered an important player to the franchise even if an objective look at him says otherwise.

He is the fourth liner on the line up.

All leaf fans love Clark.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The next dynasty eerily similar to the 60's dynasty:

Matthews - Keon (primary star centerman)
Marner - Mahovlich (star scoring winger)
Nylander - Armstrong (secondary star centerman)
McDavid - Kelly (joins his boyhood team midway through his career as the final piece to win 4 cups)
Rielly - Horton (top defenceman)
Andersen - Bower (top goalie)

Yeah, I could see that.

I could see that happening TBH. But in a cap era, Nylander would probably have to be sacrificed.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If Gilmour had also won the Hart Trophy in 1993 would that have made a difference of him being included into Legends Row? From what I remember about that year a lot of people think he should have won it instead of Marrio Lemieux.

Not to me it wouldn't be enough. But a cup in '93 would've been enough, with the way he produced that postseason.

Otherwise, I just don't like the idea of bronzing a guy who only played 6 years here, unless he won a cup or was crazy good, like 4 Harts during those 6 years.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Babe Dye, Harry Cameron, Joe Primeau,
King Clancy, Busher Jackson,
Red horner, Hap Day,Sweeney Schriner,
Gordie Drillon, Wally Stanowski,
Joe Klukay, Harry Watson, Bill Barilko

Jimmy Thomson, Tod Sloan, Allan Stanley, Carl Brewer,
Bobby Baun, Dick Duff, Norm Ullman, Ron Ellis, , Bob Pulford, Lanny McDonald, , Rick Vaive,, Dougie Gilmour, Gary Roberts,

Here pick 12 out of these guys

Last edited:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Totally fine with Dougie not being there. It doesn't diminish what he did while he was here or really how important he was to the franchise. It's just indicative of how short a time we had him.

While Clark seems like a weak pick, there is lots of reasons to support the decision. One not really discussed is that for years he was the only reason to watch the Leafs.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
100% Wendel should be there.

He was special. His combo of freakish heavy weight style and goal scoring is extremely rare. Plus longevity with the club. Stats good enough considering.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I think when they add again Gilmour will make it, that way they can have someone from a previous era. He isn't quite on the same level as some of them but he is one of the all time greats. I am okay waiting for his statue another decade or however long, I think he will eventually get it. Killer is still one of my favorites, used to copy his jersey tuck growing up lol.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
100% Wendel should be there.

He was special. His combo of freakish heavy weight style and goal scoring is extremely rare. Plus longevity with the club. Stats good enough considering.

His montage almost had me in tears, my Nana passed earlier this month and I grew up watching the Leafs with her and my dad and uncles. **** we love him, so many memories with my family spent going crazy for Clark.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think when they add again Gilmour will make it, that way they can have someone from a previous era. He isn't quite on the same level as some of them but he is one of the all time greats. I am okay waiting for his statue another decade or however long, I think he will eventually get it. Killer is still one of my favorites, used to copy his jersey tuck growing up lol.

didn't Shanahan say no more unless a current or future leaf is deserving of it?

I guess if/when shanny leaves the new guy could do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad