TSN Radio Shanahan: No More Legends until current + future shows they are worthy

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Gilmour wasn't here long enough. 6 seasons out of a 20 year career? It's just not enough to be immortalized. Not unless it was 6 years as part of a Cup winning team. Making the Conference finals doesn't get you a statue. 4 teams every year make the conference finals, it's not something worthy of THAT much praise.

He spent twice as much of his career playing against the Leafs :laugh:

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I would like to see him on the row but I think this is kind of a subliminal message to keep players here. Keep their loyalty. Saying you can chase money all you want but if your a great one and you put the time in this franchise you will be honoured for ever. It's like setting up the franchise to save money on guys for years to come... sure Auston you can go play in Arizona for a few mil more a year but if you stay here you will be loved for ever.

Never buy another meal in this this town again and your image will stand the test of time.

Love it.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
So Sittler, Salming and Sundin don't belong either then if it cups and finals that decide?

Sittler was with the Leafs for 12 seasons, Salming for 16, Sundin for 13.

I said Gilmour didn't deserve a statue because he was only here for 6 seasons, and that IF they were to add a guy who had only been here for a short time, he better have won a Cup. Can't compare his 6 seasons to guys who we here for 2X longer or more.

Like another poster stated, he spent more time playing against us, than for us.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Sucks but what can you do? Shouldn't have bothered trading him away anyway, especially given the package. Had he been here for 10 years he'd be a shoe in.

If Clark is up there Killer should be to. A real shame.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
If they win a cup, matthews/marner/nylander are locks.

The next dynasty eerily similar to the 60's dynasty:

Matthews - Keon (primary star centerman)
Marner - Mahovlich (star scoring winger)
Nylander - Armstrong (secondary star centerman)
McDavid - Kelly (joins his boyhood team midway through his career as the final piece to win 4 cups)
Rielly - Horton (top defenceman)
Andersen - Bower (top goalie)

Yeah, I could see that.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The next dynasty eerily similar to the 60's dynasty:

Matthews - Keon (primary star centerman)
Marner - Mahovlich (star scoring winger)
Nylander - Armstrong (secondary star centerman)
McDavid - Kelly (joins his boyhood team midway through his career as the final piece to win 4 cups)
Rielly - Horton (top defenceman)
Andersen - Bower (top goalie)

Yeah, I could see that.

in secret but that damn ovechkin was in the restaurant when Mcdavid and shanny are having their secret meeting. Also Mcdavid does a reverse kelly and becomes d man

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Gilmour cross checked Shanahan from behind or something during the 1993 run to deserve this exclusion... :laugh:

Always felt a little ambivalent about Gilmour. Had a few monster, all-time seasons here in Toronto, but it was so brief, and the team went into steep decline the same time he did. He also departed to New Jersey under a bit of controversy. Coincidentally, Lou was the GM who plucked him away from Toronto. Oh well, it is what it is.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
I think there shouldn't be anybody there who didn't win a championship. It's "legends" row, not "Really Good And/Or Star Players Who We Enjoyed Watching Row".

I guess you could argue Sundin and/or Sittler on the basis of franchise scoring leads, but that's it. Certainly not Gilmour, and Clark should not be there either.

Hopefully Matthews/Marner will be up there one day.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Felt like I was taking crazy pills.

I love Wendel as much as any Leafs fan but we have to come to grips with the fact that part of the reason we've been so bad for so long is precisely because a player like Clark is one of the best we've had going for us, because a couple of trips to the Conference Final are remembered as the best years in many of our entire lives as Leafs fans.

If we're factoring in that Wendel was a fan favourite, his involvement in the community post-retirement, etc. then I guess you can make a case, but personally I'd be reluctant to honour much of anything post-'67. As soon as we win another Cup, '67 until that day is going to look like nothing but a massive black mark that we'd all rather forget about.

I can understand why some people see it differently, but that's my two cents anyway. :dunno:

Last edited:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I was very surprised they did not include Gilmour, as he was my favorite and definitely deserved serious consideration.

But when you look at whom they did honor, I can understand why.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Hap Day, King Clancy, Ace Bailey, and Bill Barilko are the other 4, in addition to Gilmour, who have their banners in the rafters and aren't there.

Personally... I still think its wrong there's no statue of Conn Smythe somewhere. He's controversial in some ways but its hard to deny the impact he had on the Leafs franchise.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hap Day, King Clancy, Ace Bailey, and Bill Barilko are the other 4, in addition to Gilmour, who have their banners in the rafters and aren't there.

Personally... I still think its wrong there's no statue of Conn Smythe somewhere. He's controversial in some ways but its hard to deny the impact he had on the Leafs franchise.

King Clancy should probably be there.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

that's surprising. he's the guy who started the whole thing. I was wondering if they would do any coaches, (Smythe, Burns, Quinn) - but nope, nada, nothin.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Felt like I was taking crazy pills.

I love Wendel as much as any Leafs fan but we have to come to grips with the fact that part of the reason we've been so bad for so long is precisely because a player like Clark is one of the best we've had going for us, because a couple of trips to the Conference Final are remembered as the best years in many of our entire lives as Leafs fans.

If we're factoring in that Wendel was a fan favourite, his involvement in the community post-retirement, etc. then I guess you can make a case, but personally I'd be reluctant to honour much of anything post-'67. As soon as we win another Cup, '67 until that day is going to look like nothing but a massive black mark that we'd all rather forget about.

I can understand why some people see it differently, but that's my two cents anyway. :dunno:

Hate to say anything negative about Wendel or the 1993 Leafs, but the post expansion era's bar of excellence is set pretty low.

On a championship team, Wendel's probably a second line LW, not your franchise player. Probably an equivalent to Phoenix's Shane Doan or somebody like that.

The 1993 Leafs team was fun, but imagine the Canadiens worshipping their 2009 conference finals team and heroes like Mike Cammalleri and Jaro Halak for 25 years. Ideally, that shouldn't happen. Philadelphia overrating Keith Primeau and their 2004 semi finals run is the only other example I have of a big market franchise overrating its accomplishments like Leafs Nation and the Burns era.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Hate to say anything negative about Wendel or the 1993 Leafs, but the post expansion era's bar of excellence is set pretty low.

On a championship team, Wendel's probably a second line LW, not your franchise player. Probably an equivalent to Phoenix's Shane Doan or somebody like that.

The 1993 Leafs team was fun, but imagine the Canadiens worshipping their 2009 conference finals team and heroes like Mike Cammalleri and Jaro Halak for 25 years. Ideally, that shouldn't happen. Philadelphia overrating Keith Primeau and their 2004 semi finals run is the only other example I have of a big market franchise overrating its accomplishments like Leafs Nation and the Burns era.

There's more context to the 1993 Leafs than the 2004 Flyers or 2009 Habs. It's not just about making the conference finals. 1993 was a resurgence following the dark years of Ballard, the absolute low point of the history of any franchise.

Not that incompetent management is unique to the Leafs, except that Ballard's reign was especially evil, and was also preceded by decades of great success before that. The 1993 Leafs brought things nearly full circle: a historical and national institution going from absolute dynasty, to absolute laughingstock, to almost pinnacle again. One has to first acknowledge that the history of the Leafs is unique from any other franchise because of its place in the game, before you can accept the context behind it all. That's also why the 1993 team is treated differently and more highly than our 1994, 1999 and 2002 teams, which also made the conference finals.

I could have seen an argument for making a row of statues to include just the 10 champion players from pre-1967. Just the champions. But from the looks of it, Legends Row wanted to be a representation of all 100 years, and not just the best and most successful from within those 100 years, all of which occurred in the first 50. That means the inclusion of Sittler, Salming, Clark and Sundin to represent the best of the last 50 years. Which makes the purpose of Legends Row different than the statues of other teams that bronze only a Gordie Howe or a Bobby Orr or a Maurice Richard. If the Leafs just wanted to immortalize individual glory, they could have just put up 3 statues of arguably the greatest Leafs of all time: Apps, Kennedy and Keon.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Best Clark story is after his rookie season the team was buying tickets for the players to go anywhere. Clark when home. Why? He said it was planting season and he had to help his parents!
Character! Toughness! Killer wrist shot!

Most surprising part of this is Ballard offered to buy the boys plane tickets.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There's more context to the 1993 Leafs than the 2004 Flyers or 2009 Habs. It's not just about making the conference finals. 1993 was a resurgence following the dark years of Ballard, the absolute low point of the history of any franchise.

Not that incompetent management is unique to the Leafs, except that Ballard's reign was especially evil, and was also preceded by decades of great success before that. The 1993 Leafs brought things nearly full circle: a historical and national institution going from absolute dynasty, to absolute laughingstock, to almost pinnacle again. One has to first acknowledge that the history of the Leafs is unique from any other franchise because of its place in the game, before you can accept the context behind it all. That's also why the 1993 team is treated differently and more highly than our 1994, 1999 and 2002 teams, which also made the conference finals.

I appreciate what you're saying and sentiments about that 1993 team coming nearly full circle back to its former glory. Absolutely true. But seeing the future this team is trying to build, if it all works out and we actually win it all some day, that full circle, those players leading us there those names that take us there will mean a lot more.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I appreciate what you're saying and sentiments about that 1993 team coming nearly full circle back to its former glory. Absolutely true. But seeing the future this team is trying to build, if it all works out and we actually win it all some day, that full circle, those players leading us there those names that take us there will mean a lot more.

No doubt. I can appreciate Clark and Gilmour for their contributions to the franchise, but one cup from Matthews, Marner and Nylander will elevate them in ways Clark and Gilmour can never imagine. In fact, just one cup from Matthews, Marner and Nylander would place them as equals alongside the heroes of the 60's who won us 4 cups, when considering the length of cup drought and number of competition nowadays.

For those 90's teams, that will ultimately mean being sandwiched and dwarfed between two sets of heroes.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Gilmour didn't exactly leave the team on the best of terms. There was some controversy surrounding the team at the time and maybe that's part of why he didn't want to be around. If I'm not mistaken, he forced his way out, he wanted to be traded. Given that, and his short tenure, I have no problem with him being left out.

As for Clark... Ugh. Definitely sticks out among all those hall of fame players. Shouldn't be there. It's pandering. That's the only reason.

Didnt have the tenure, didn't have the numbers, didn't have the team success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad