TSN Radio Shanahan: No More Legends until current + future shows they are worthy

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Apparently Shanahan was talking to the media Saturday night, and said Legends Row is complete. No more will be added until the current crop (and future) Leafs do something to be added. Overdrive boys are talking about it and they are gobsmacked that Gilmour isn't included.

It obviously means then they are doing some kind of longevity thing (because Gilmour wasn't here that long and CuJo/Belfour were what? 4ish years each?)

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Apparently Shanahan was talking to the media Saturday night, and said Legends Row is complete. No more will be added until the current crop (and future) Leafs will not be added. Overdrive boys are talking about it and they are gobsmacked that Gilmour isn't included.

It obviously means then they are doing some kind of longevity thing (because Gilmour wasn't here that long and CuJo/Belfour were what? 4ish years each?)

Could I please get an oxford definition of the bolded please?
:)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
gobsmacked: shocked, mad, upset, really astonished :)

Thank you! :laugh:

I guess I'm a tad gobsmacked too but I can understand why. He only totaled 6 years out of his 20 here with us. They were damn good years but maybe that's the reason?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
isn't gilmour's number retired though? why can't he part of legends row? kinda dumb tbh.

if longevity is the issue then he shouldn't have a banner in the rafters either. and the banner is more significant than legends row.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The 14 members of Legends Row:

Charlie Conacher 1929-1938 - 1x cup champion, our greatest ever goal scorer, 5x league goal scoring leader

Syl Apps 1936-1948 - 3x cup champion, #1 center, heart of the 40's dynasty

Turk Broda 1936-1952 - 5x cup champion, goalie of the 40's dynasty

Ted Kennedy 1942-1957 - 5x cup champion, #1 center, heart of the 40's dynasty

Tim Horton 1949-1970 - 4x cup champion, best defenceman of the 60's dynasty

George Armstrong 1950-1971 - 4x cup champion, captain of the 60's dynasty

Frank Mahovlich 1957-1968 - 4x cup champion, best winger of the 60's dynasty

Johnny Bower 1959-1970 - 4x cup champion, goalie of the 60's dynasty

Red Kelly 1960-1967 - 4x cup champion, core centerman of the 60's dynasty

Dave Keon 1960-1975 - 4x cup champion, #1 center of the 60's dynasty

Darryl Sittler 1970-1982 - heart of the 70's Leafs

Borje Salming 1973-1989 - along with Horton, 1 of our 2 best ever defencemen

Wendel Clark 1985-2000 - ultimate team captain, heart of 90's revival team

Mats Sundin 1994-2008 - heart of 00's team, franchise scoring leader

Other than Clark, the other 13 were no-brainers. I'm surprised that Clark made it too, but I get it. He was the ultimate team captain, would go to war for his teammates, showed loyalty throughout his career, and was a different breed of player than the other 13, in that he was a fighter too. His loyalty and fighting spirit is a great example for the current and future Leafs.

I couldn't justify Gilmour. He played 6 years, which just wasn't enough. It would be a terrible message to send to our young players. Can you imagine Matthews bolting in 6 years? That time would seem like a flash in the pan. I'd rather immortalize a less talented Clark with 12 years than a more talented Gilmour at 6 years.

Next up, I hope to see 3-5 new statues in 20 years.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The 14 members of Legends Row:

Charlie Conacher 1929-1938 - 1x cup champion, our greatest ever goal scorer, 5x league goal scoring leader

Syl Apps 1936-1948 - 3x cup champion, #1 center, heart of the 40's dynasty

Turk Broda 1936-1952 - 5x cup champion, goalie of the 40's dynasty

Ted Kennedy 1942-1957 - 5x cup champion, #1 center, heart of the 40's dynasty

Tim Horton 1949-1970 - 4x cup champion, best defenceman of the 60's dynasty

George Armstrong 1950-1971 - 4x cup champion, captain of the 60's dynasty

Frank Mahovlich 1957-1968 - 4x cup champion, best winger of the 60's dynasty

Johnny Bower 1959-1970 - 4x cup champion, goalie of the 60's dynasty

Red Kelly 1960-1967 - 4x cup champion, core centerman of the 60's dynasty

Dave Keon 1960-1975 - 4x cup champion, #1 center of the 60's dynasty

Darryl Sittler 1970-1982 - heart of the 70's Leafs

Borje Salming 1973-1989 - along with Horton, 1 of our 2 best ever defencemen

Wendel Clark 1985-2000 - ultimate team captain, heart of 90's revival team

Mats Sundin 1994-2008 - heart of 00's team, franchise scoring leader

Other than Clark, the other 13 were no-brainers. I'm surprised that Clark made it too, but I get it. He was the ultimate team captain, would go to war for his teammates, showed loyalty throughout his career, and was a different breed of player than the other 13, in that he was a fighter too. His loyalty and fighting spirit is a great example for the current and future Leafs.

I couldn't justify Gilmour. He played 6 years, which just wasn't enough. It would be a terrible message to send to our young players. Can you imagine Matthews bolting in 6 years? That time would seem like a flash in the pan. I'd rather immortalize a less talented Clark with 12 years than a more talented Gilmour at 6 years.

Next up, I hope to see 3-5 new statues in 20 years.

Wendel was also drafted developed and bled here.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Wendel was also drafted developed and bled here.

Yeah. I have no problem with Clark. He wasn't a hall of famer, but he's ours, and was a beauty in a way that only Leafs fans would appreciate. And I think you'd have to have lived it to really appreciate Clark, because his value doesn't show up on the career stat sheet. And like I said, a great example for our current young players. Show us loyalty, and you will be remembered in the center of the hockey universe forever.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd also argue that all the Legend Row guys are remembered as Maple Leafs. And while we remember Gilmour as ours, he is more known, I believe, for leading the Flames to a Stanley Cup, and his time there.

So yeah, I guess it goes back to longevity.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think there shouldn't be anybody there who didn't win a championship. It's "legends" row, not "Really Good And/Or Star Players Who We Enjoyed Watching Row".

I guess you could argue Sundin and/or Sittler on the basis of franchise scoring leads, but that's it. Certainly not Gilmour, and Clark should not be there either.

Hopefully Matthews/Marner will be up there one day.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah. I have no problem with Clark. He wasn't a hall of famer, but he's ours, and was a beauty in a way that only Leafs fans would appreciate. And I think you'd have to have lived it to really appreciate Clark, because his value doesn't show up on the career stat sheet. And like I said, a great example for our current young players. Show us loyalty, and you will be remembered in the center of the hockey universe forever.

Best Clark story is after his rookie season the team was buying tickets for the players to go anywhere. Clark when home. Why? He said it was planting season and he had to help his parents!
Character! Toughness! Killer wrist shot!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think there shouldn't be anybody there who didn't win a championship. It's "legends" row, not "Really Good And/Or Star Players Who We Enjoyed Watching Row".

I guess you could argue Sundin and/or Sittler on the basis of franchise scoring leads, but that's it. Certainly not Gilmour, and Clark should not be there either.

Hopefully Matthews/Marner will be up there one day.

I would agree with this, as beloved as they both were, one didn't have the longevity and the other was never a world class player.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I would agree with this, as beloved as they both were, one didn't have the longevity and the other was never a world class player.

Wow, Clark did it all, that made him world class. In that era he was world class by any definition IMHO.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
isn't gilmour's number retired though? why can't he part of legends row? kinda dumb tbh.

if longevity is the issue then he shouldn't have a banner in the rafters either. and the banner is more significant than legends row.
Nope only 14 on Legends row, 17 numbers honored. Legends row is more exclusive. Even more so than the hall of fame.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think adding Clark opened up the Gilmour thing. had they left Clark off - people would be irked - but they could get it. now you have the whole thing with this.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
i think adding Clark opened up the Gilmour thing. had they left Clark off - people would be irked - but they could get it. now you have the whole thing with this.

Actually, the more I think about it, I agree with you. I think Clark and Gilmour should be treated the same. I'd have left them both off. BUT, if Clark is included, then I think Gilmour should be included too. Because their impact was about the same, and were peers of the same era. Having Clark in and Gilmour out seems uneven.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
People will probably get over it either way. The length of time as a Leaf probably was a factor and frankly is fine for them to use.

Not like Gilmour wasn't given credit for his accomplishments as a Leaf. I like the setup. Legends Row is a far more exclusive group. But getting your number retired and having a banner go up is still showing a great deal of respect.

Just creates another level of challenge in a sense.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Gilmour has the greatest single season in the franchise's 100 year history. That alone should put him on Legends Row.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Gilmour wasn't here long enough. 6 seasons out of a 20 year career? It's just not enough to be immortalized. Not unless it was 6 years as part of a Cup winning team. Making the Conference finals doesn't get you a statue. 4 teams every year make the conference finals, it's not something worthy of THAT much praise.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Gilmour wasn't here long enough. 6 seasons out of a 20 year career? It's just not enough to be immortalized. Not unless it was 6 years as part of a Cup winning team. Making the Conference finals doesn't get you a statue. 4 teams every year make the conference finals, it's not something worthy of THAT much praise.

So Sittler, Salming and Sundin don't belong either then if it cups and finals that decide?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Gilmour deserves to be on it more than Clark. He is the most iconic player of that era. Clark has more involvement though in alumni relations type stuff. Either way, I think its a ridiculous oversight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad