TV: Shameless

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I'm glad Emmy Rossum is standing up for herself as far as getting paid. Fiona is easily the central character of the show. Without her, there's no show to watch. There are many other characters on the show that are interesting, but Fiona is the only one you actually root for.

perrygetz1*

Aug 12, 2015
I'm glad Emmy Rossum is standing up for herself as far as getting paid. Fiona is easily the central character of the show. Without her, there's no show to watch. There are many other characters on the show that are interesting, but Fiona is the only one you actually root for.

Agreed 100%. Any of the characters could be written out of the show and I'd still watch except Fiona.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Macy is still the center of it all.

Fiona is nice and the story line revoles around her, but Macys acting is stellar and no one comes close to this.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Macy is still the center of it all.

Fiona is nice and the story line revoles around her, but Macys acting is stellar and no one comes close to this.

Macy is undeniably the best actor on the show, but he is not the center of it all at this point because his character simply is not the focal point, he's a side bit.

However, Macy's acting ability and credentials demand a high amount of money. Big name established actors get big money and his presence adds a further legitimacy to the show. I think at this point given how central her character is in the show that she deserves that bump in pay, but Macy's resume is a factor in his pay.

The show at this point could go without Frank and not miss too much, I think it could exist without Fiona maybe, but it would be a much bigger challenge and the likes of Lip, Ian etc would need to step up a lot because she carries a lot of the weight on her shoulders.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Macy is undeniably the best actor on the show, but he is not the center of it all at this point because his character simply is not the focal point, he's a side bit.

However, Macy's acting ability and credentials demand a high amount of money. Big name established actors get big money and his presence adds a further legitimacy to the show. I think at this point given how central her character is in the show that she deserves that bump in pay, but Macy's resume is a factor in his pay.

The show at this point could go without Frank and not miss too much, I think it could exist without Fiona maybe, but it would be a much bigger challenge and the likes of Lip, Ian etc would need to step up a lot because she carries a lot of the weight on her shoulders.

I dont agree.

Its pretty evident the whole story line moves because of Frank.

Fionas marriage is a good example.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I dont agree.

No one's denying Macy is great at the role. But the only reason Frank matters at all is because of how he affects the other characters. The Gallagher clan dealing with his antics and trying to escape his influence. They could kill him off in the next episode and that fingerprint would still be all over the series.

Plus, there isn't a lot of intrigue left for Frank. He's a drug addict, he runs a scam, he comes out smelling like roses, he gets found out, he sleeps in a ditch for a day or two, rinse repeat. The only remotely interesting Frank storyline (to me) they've had in the past two or three seasons was when he was in love with the terminally ill girl, and even then, it was hard to feel any sympathy for him because he was outkicking his coverage by taking advantage of someone vulnerable.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I dont agree.

"the whole story line"? Come on.

Of course when they write him into scenarios he is part of the story moving forward, but they could kill Frank next episode and, after obviously dealing with his death, the story would tick along just fine.

He is of course linked to the characters heavily, he's the father of most of them, but those characters also basically render him irrelevant to their lives at this point. In general even when they encounter him they just dismiss him, if they even acknowledge him to begin with. They for the most part get on with their own lives ignoring whatever Frank's current scam is.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It would be an uneventful tale.

What happens ? Fiona buys a house, struggles with credit, might have a relationship that doesn't work in the end.

Lip continues to struggle with alcoholism but gets better with that girl he's in a relationship with, might get a job somewhere...

Now add in frank in there, and boom.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
"the whole story line"? Come on.

Of course when they write him into scenarios he is part of the story moving forward, but they could kill Frank next episode and, after obviously dealing with his death, the story would tick along just fine.

He is of course linked to the characters heavily, he's the father of most of them, but those characters also basically render him irrelevant to their lives at this point. In general even when they encounter him they just dismiss him, if they even acknowledge him to begin with. They for the most part get on with their own lives ignoring whatever Frank's current scam is.

I view Frank as a plot device.

If any of the kids start moving too far in the direction of "doing well" then they can just bring in Frank to ruin everything. He drags the kids back to the bottom of the hole they are trying to dig out of.

I prefer all of the kids' stories, outside of Debbie and Liam, to Frank's.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
It would be an uneventful tale.

What happens ? Fiona buys a house, struggles with credit, might have a relationship that doesn't work in the end.

Lip continues to struggle with alcoholism but gets better with that girl he's in a relationship with, might get a job somewhere...

Now add in frank in there, and boom.

At this point they're all easily capable of self-destruction without Frank getting involved.

Would it be as good without Frank? no, at least I don't think so. I still enjoy him on the show whereas I know many people are about done with him.

But does the whole story line move because of Frank? definitely not.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
As stellar as Macy's acting is & how much of a plot device he's been: They pushed it too far & he's overdue.
Won't have a problem finally killing him off & move on from there.

Still not really rooting for Fiona though. Rather for the guys (Lip, Ian, Carl, Kev, ...).

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Carl and Lip are easily the two characters you wanna see succeed the most. Carl because he's finally maturing/matured and when you saw him young he was just a product of his environment, Lip because he's a genius who just gets sidetracked. Fiona and Frank have been the focal characters through the 7 seasons, but IMO Lip easily has the most unique/interesting arc to his character.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't really actively root for Fiona, but I am happy for her to do well. She's smart and works hard and was obviously robbed of a normal upbringing that could have converted her potential into something much better.

She has however impeded herself a few times and is very promiscuous to use a term that HF won't censor :laugh:

Jan 3, 2012
Man never has a show hit me as hard as liam getting into the coke

holy **** that is so sad

fiona deserves everything she gets

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
So filming starts in may for season 8. Guess we'll have another fall season.

Man never has a show hit me as hard as liam getting into the coke

holy **** that is so sad

fiona deserves everything she gets

Thats hits you hard? I feel like there's a handful of things that have been worse. But i guess you also aren't caught up yet

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm in season 4 right now but like a month ago I never heard of this show and now everyone is talking about it. I've watched 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Silicon Valley recently.... any other comedies that I should be watching? (I've seen the modern family/big bang theorys of the world)

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'm in season 4 right now but like a month ago I never heard of this show and now everyone is talking about it. I've watched 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Silicon Valley recently.... any other comedies that I should be watching? (I've seen the modern family/big bang theorys of the world)

I wouldn't really call this show a comedy. I know it calls itself that for awards purposes, but it's in the middle, and IMO, more of a drama.

As far as comedies, I recommend all of the following if you haven't seen them:
-Curb Your Enthusiasm
-Vice Principals
-Ballers
-Louie
-Atlanta
-Baskets
-Arrested Development
-Archer
-It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
-Trailer Park Boys
-Letterkenny
-Rick and Morty

Perhaps not all of them will be your "thing", but at least some of them should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad