Prospect Info: Shakir Mukhamadullin (#20 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
First second round pick Wallinder trying to play in second swedish league. Mukha play in Salavat on the regular basis and was one of defensive leaders of Russia in tournament against adults with biggest ice time in team.
Anyway he is not safe pick. Devils made 2 safe and good picks. And after Holtz and Mercer puts on Devils hat, Devils had 2 RW in first round. There were no need to pick Perreault or Bourque. Between Shakir and Lapierre I prefer questionable defensman with speed, size, shot and positioning abillity in his 18-19 years in 2nd best league, than super talanted but very soft center without shot but with tonn of different scary injuries.
But we can certainly debate whether the devils need a top - 6 center-playmaker or a top-4 defenseman. In the moment of the draft I wanted Marat or Greig, but they are both questionable at the time. And now Devils have what they have, and I hope and watching how things goes.

The Wallinder comparison is certainly a smart comparison for @Guadana to be making. I read a few writers who were endorsing Wallinder to the Devils with the #20 pick prior to the draft. Though Wallinder is an exceptional skater, he lacks anything resembling a shot, has mediocre hands and vision, struggles with decision making and defensive play. Mukhamadullin's upside is far higher, and -- as we've seen in recent play -- Mukhamadullin is the far superior player right now.

Like @Guadana , I was extremely high on players like Khusnutdinov and Greig, and probably would have preferred either at #20 to Mukhamadullin (or Lapierre). But that does not mean I think it was a bad pick -- although I would have liked the Devils to trade down a few spots, since they were going off the board a bit. Either way, I'm not too upset about it because Mukhamadullin has seriously impressive upside and looks to be hitting his stride in his draft +1 campaign.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
The Wallinder comparison is certainly a smart comparison for @Guadana to be making. I read a few writers who were endorsing Wallinder to the Devils with the #20 pick prior to the draft. Though Wallinder is an exceptional skater, he lacks anything resembling a shot, has mediocre hands and vision, struggles with decision making and defensive play. Mukhamadullin's upside is far higher, and -- as we've seen in recent play -- Mukhamadullin is the far superior player right now.

Like @Guadana , I was extremely high on players like Khusnutdinov and Greig, and probably would have preferred either at #20 to Mukhamadullin (or Lapierre). But that does not mean I think it was a bad pick -- although I would have liked the Devils to trade down a few spots, since they were going off the board a bit. Either way, I'm not too upset about it because Mukhamadullin has seriously impressive upside and looks to be hitting his stride in his draft +1 campaign.
I really liked how Fitz said every time they looked at Amirov they kept saying why are we not thinking of taking this guy and not to mention his play at karjala was said to be very good,.,..

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Not sure how much people here visit the main prospects board, but in the Mukhamadullin thread there, a Russian prospect watcher offered his views on why we don't see a lot of KHL defenders make a successful jump to the NHL.

Post is here: LD Shakir Mukhamadullin - Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL (2020, 20th, NJD)

It's probably not a big concern with respect to any individual prospect, but I thought it was an interesting perspective given the number of draft picks we've used on Russian defenders the last few years.

Reactions: deflowd and My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
In General, I will not get involved in the conversation there anymore, it is not clear to me what exactly is being discussed, what the argument is about at the moment. I no longer see the point in arguing whether it was worth taking or not. For me, this is as useless disput as the disput about Zacha. Mukha is our choice, we won't do anything about it. Does he have problems playing defense? I think and I can explain that he has problems in the game in attack, too. Now I see the point in tracking his progress, paying attention to whether he is able to play more aggressively, play ahead of the curve. Mukhamadullin - long story long pick. It's not worth waiting for him in the base in two years in the NHL. Three or Four years. Maybe even more.
Personally, I think his real ceiling is Severson. I think they are similar in many ways with some differences.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
They're only half way through the season, 30 games left.

post-39503-Dodgeball-oh-my-sweet-Jesus-gi-UYQA.gif

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Arzamastsev was born november, 06, 1992. That was 2010-11 season when he got 9 points in 47 games.
Goncharov has 15 points in 47 games - record for U20. Mukha has good chances to break both records.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Man if this kid can put it together he could be a monster. Much rather have taken the chance on this type of d man as opposed to that French Canadian kid who had the injury history? Not sure if I remember that correctly.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Man if this kid can put it together he could be a monster. Much rather have taken the chance on this type of d man as opposed to that French Canadian kid who had the injury history? Not sure if I remember that correctly.
You’re remembering correctly. Hendrix Lapierre went 2 picks later to the Caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad