Prospect Info: Shakir Mukhamadullin (#20 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm still feeling some Gelinas PTSD vibes from this..., guy, honestly.
He could easily be a Gelinas. But Gelinas was very talented and perhaps could’ve been a good NHLer if a few things broke differently in his development. I didn’t love the pick and still don’t, but he’s definitely an intriguing player to watch.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Dylan Griffins hates him)
Anyway any claim to Shakir has base. Shakir has a lot of rooms to grow. Here and now I don’t know can he close all of his open problems or not. I think nhl game is much more suitable for him in offensive aspects, but he should be much faster with his hands and more aggressive with zone positioning to play D in NHL.
He has pretty good tournament for 19 yo guy.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dylan Griffins hates him)
Anyway any claim to Shakir has base. Shakir has a lot of rooms to grow. Here and now I don’t know can he close all of his open problems or not. I think nhl game is much more suitable for him in offensive aspects, but he should be much faster with his hands and more aggressive with zone positioning to play D in NHL.
He has pretty good tournament for 19 yo guy.

He's a big kid just starting to learn to put it together under in a mens league and most teens would crumble completely. I'm cautiously optimistic that he is showing some progress. I imagine NJ lets him stay in the KHL for another few years and gives him a chance to fill out his frame and learn more about playing defense at a top level and probably improve his skating by playing on the bigger rinks. He's the kind of guy we will have to check in on in three years to see how he is looking.

Reactions: Guadana

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He's a big kid just starting to learn to put it together under in a mens league and most teens would crumble completely. I'm cautiously optimistic that he is showing some progress. I imagine NJ lets him stay in the KHL for another few years and gives him a chance to fill out his frame and learn more about playing defense at a top level and probably improve his skating by playing on the bigger rinks. He's the kind of guy we will have to check in on in three years to see how he is looking.

I might argue improving his skating will not improve in the best way from playing on a larger rink.

Big rinks gives you more time to recover from mistakes. The value balance between top speed and acceleration leans towards top speed on a big rink because of this extra time and extra distance between players.

In NA there is less time and space so having quickness and agility becomes much more valuable than on larger rinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

Not the usual description of a first round pick. Though #20 could as easily be described as (at least not very different from) an early second round pick.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He really looks like a guy who has recently grown up and hasn't figured out how to handle with his big body yet. At the same time, he understands where he belongs on the ice.

It is good that he now has serious opponents with high qualifications, and he will be able to first get used to the KHL, and then in the AHL will be able to understand how to play on smaller rinks.
He won't be like Roman Josi, but I like his positional play. And he, unlike what the guys wrote above here, has a good starting speed. He needs to improve his technique.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
You joke, but he clearly had some NHL level traits but they just weren’t enough to outweigh his warts. Sometimes young players develop, sometimes they don’t. There’s a reason we were able to get some value for him in that trade.
ebEWq5.gif

Reactions: Ripshot 43

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it's pretty clear they picked him for his potential, not where he stands currently. none of us have seen him play as much as the devils scouting team, so we have to trust them. they've certainly earned the benny of the doubt based on their track record over the last few years.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not the usual description of a first round pick. Though #20 could as easily be described as (at least not very different from) an early second round pick.

I don't think a project pick at 20 is that unusual. The way Guadana describes Mukhamadullin it sounds like he has most if not all of the tools and just needs seasoning, maturation, and technical improvements. Most picks after the top 10 probably spend the full two years in juniors or college and then expect a season in the AHL. Bringing Mukhamadullin over in three seasons is probably on par with most later first round picks.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
First second round pick Wallinder trying to play in second swedish league. Mukha play in Salavat on the regular basis and was one of defensive leaders of Russia in tournament against adults with biggest ice time in team.
Anyway he is not safe pick. Devils made 2 safe and good picks. And after Holtz and Mercer puts on Devils hat, Devils had 2 RW in first round. There were no need to pick Perreault or Bourque. Between Shakir and Lapierre I prefer questionable defensman with speed, size, shot and positioning abillity in his 18-19 years in 2nd best league, than super talanted but very soft center without shot but with tonn of different scary injuries.
But we can certainly debate whether the devils need a top - 6 center-playmaker or a top-4 defenseman. In the moment of the draft I wanted Marat or Greig, but they are both questionable at the time. And now Devils have what they have, and I hope and watching how things goes.

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I might argue improving his skating will not improve in the best way from playing on a larger rink.

Big rinks gives you more time to recover from mistakes. The value balance between top speed and acceleration leans towards top speed on a big rink because of this extra time and extra distance between players.

In NA there is less time and space so having quickness and agility becomes much more valuable than on larger rinks.

I could argue semantics. Bigger rinks force defenseman to cover more ground. Time and space could effect his breakouts and offense. I believe the biggest adjustment from bigger rinks to the NA rinks tends to fall on offense. He will benefit from having to cover less ice in the defensive zone and he has the size and range to play in NA.

Reactions: Guadana

njdevils309

Mar 6, 2008
I don't think a project pick at 20 is that unusual. The way Guadana describes Mukhamadullin it sounds like he has most if not all of the tools and just needs seasoning, maturation, and technical improvements. Most picks after the top 10 probably spend the full two years in juniors or college and then expect a season in the AHL. Bringing Mukhamadullin over in three seasons is probably on par with most later first round picks.
Completely agree with you here. We need to just be patient and give him time to develop. This was a high risk/high reward pick. I actually went back to look at other #20 overall picks from the past decade, and there's maybe two who have even established themselves yet as top 6/top 4 type players, with two not having played in the NHL much/at all yet. The #20 pick is far from a sure thing, so taking the risk there makes sense. #20 picks:

2019: Ville Heinola
2018: Ty Smith
2017: Robert Thomas
2016: Dennis Cholowski
2015: Joel Eriksson Ek
2014: Nick Schmaltz
2013: Anthony Mantha
2012: Scott Laughton
2011: Connor Murphy
2010: Beau Bennett

If he reaches his potential, he could end up being the best of any of these players tbh. Very big if, but the risk is worth it.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
Completely agree with you here. We need to just be patient and give him time to develop. This was a high risk/high reward pick. I actually went back to look at other #20 overall picks from the past decade, and there's maybe two who have even established themselves yet as top 6/top 4 type players, with two not having played in the NHL much/at all yet. The #20 pick is far from a sure thing, so taking the risk there makes sense. #20 picks:

If he reaches his potential, he could end up being the best of any of these players tbh. Very big if, but the risk is worth it.
Smith was taken at 17. # 20 was Rasmus Kupari by the kings.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

2018: Rasmus Kupari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad