Prospect Info: Shakir Mukhamadullin (#20 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The final kicker: Elite Prospects put up it’s EPRinkside.com Scout’s Roundtable: Our Least Favorite Picks of the Draft and I was braced for it and... he wasn’t listed.

Nope. Jack Quinn at 8, Lukas Reichel at 17, Yegor Chinakov at 21 and Justin Barron at 25 but no Mr Worst Single Game Performance.

There are no Devils picks on the list.

Scout’s Roundtable: EliteProspects’ Least Favourite Picks From...
Surprising considering the author of that article is who wrote the summary of him in their draft guide and was trashing the pick hard on twitter when we made it.

Edit: Found his tweets...

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The still in “aw” tweet is great. I don’t know why but I find it amusing when someone is calling out others for being dumb and they choose to use a word they can’t spell. It’s different if it’s just a typo, which this does not appear to be.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Surprising considering the author of that article is who wrote the summary of him in their draft guide and was trashing the pick hard on twitter when we made it.

Yeah, that’s what’s so wild about it. Maybe he felt he had publicly criticized the puck enough.

I just looked at the link and he had this other article bitching about the pick lol:

So Burke did already put him on this list in the bad category. This aren’t particularly interesting Btw Mercer makes the Good list.

The Best and Worst Picks From the First-Round of the 2020 NHL...

Holtz and Edwards made the Favorite Picks article. I put a link in EE’s thread. Holtz is a short, it’s two sentences saying he’s going to score a lot of goals so it didn’t seem illuminating enough for a post in his thread.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The final kicker: Elite Prospects put up it’s EPRinkside.com Scout’s Roundtable: Our Least Favorite Picks of the Draft and I was braced for it and... he wasn’t listed.

Nope. Jack Quinn at 8, Lukas Reichel at 17, Yegor Chinakov at 21 and Justin Barron at 25 but no Mr Worst Single Game Performance.

There are no Devils picks on the list.

Scout’s Roundtable: EliteProspects’ Least Favourite Picks From...

I'm not exaggerating when I say you could pick my next door neighbor at 20 and it's not a worse pick than Jack Quinn when Rossi and Perfetti are on the board. That's just based on the value of a #8 OA pick vs. #20. It's why Zacha at 6 hurts so much more than Quenneville at 30. On the other hand they do list Chinakov at #21 so that kind of throws my theory out the window.

Reactions: Guttersniped

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Remember he isn't playing in a junior league when talking about where he needs to improve. He is doing what he is doing in a tough men's league at a pretty young age.
5083D1D3-92FC-447F-9381-A463C5F64285.jpeg

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I may be being old school here in my thought but I don’t know why anyone would follow “a professional” who bothers to use “lmao” and “aw” when describing an 18 year old being picked. Does that “writer” post only on his own blog or is he still in high school perhaps? Seems like a person who is either very immature in multiple ways or just has a personal grievance against the Devils.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

These prospect pundits all copy each other and don't think for themselves yet try to speak authoritatively on 120 17 year olds playing in 7+ different leagues. That guy saw where Mukhamadullin was listed on everyone else's rankings and had a big laugh most likely as the draft happened, and then he started looking at the stats, looking at the skill set, and realized it wasn't that ridiculous a pick after all.

If Mukhamadullin keeps putting up these numbers in the KHL and growing as a dman in about a year he's gonna be on a lot of pundits' top 50 prospect lists, and then they'll all copy each other and talk about what a savvy pick it was. Here's hoping!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
These prospect pundits all copy each other and don't think for themselves yet try to speak authoritatively on 120 17 year olds playing in 7+ different leagues. That guy saw where Mukhamadullin was listed on everyone else's rankings and had a big laugh most likely as the draft happened, and then he started looking at the stats, looking at the skill set, and realized it wasn't that ridiculous a pick after all.

If Mukhamadullin keeps putting up these numbers in the KHL and growing as a dman in about a year he's gonna be on a lot of pundits' top 50 prospect lists, and then they'll all copy each other and talk about what a savvy pick it was. Here's hoping!

I thought I had read he was a crease clearing D as well (May be wrong?). Just imagine if this kid at 6’4” 178lbs puts on 20 or 30lbs with professional training and natural physical maturity that happens at 18-22. He may not even be done growing height wise but we could have a smooth skating 6’4” 210lb kid with a bomb.

Reactions: My3Sons and deflowd

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Him thinking the game poorly is certainly cause for concern - but there have been plenty of skilled players who are just downright dumb. I for one think Shakir is a motivated individual and smart outside the game of hockey, and he just needs to study his position more. Also Russia isn't big on developing defensive dmen so he won't come over with much defensive knowledge

The AHL/NHL is where he will do the bulk of his defensive growth. The reason he is a good pick at 20 is he was, by far, the highest upside defenseman left (including Schneider at 19) and since it was our 3rd pick we had room to shoot for the stars.

I for one think Shakir can become at least a third pair offensive dman who runs your PP/2nd PP.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Him thinking the game poorly is certainly cause for concern - but there have been plenty of skilled players who are just downright dumb. I for one think Shakir is a motivated individual and smart outside the game of hockey, and he just needs to study his position more. Also Russia isn't big on developing defensive dmen so he won't come over with much defensive knowledge

The AHL/NHL is where he will do the bulk of his defensive growth. The reason he is a good pick at 20 is he was, by far, the highest upside defenseman left (including Schneider at 19) and since it was our 3rd pick we had room to shoot for the stars.

I for one think Shakir can become at least a third pair offensive dman who runs your PP/2nd PP.

If he ultimately can mature into a big strong better skating Butcher that’s a second pair defender to me. I’d take it and run.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

For the 20th overall pick, he has much higher potential than that. He was a forward who is now learning a new position.

Reactions: glenwo2

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would not say Mukhamadullin thinks the game poorly at all. It's actually a silly criticism. Sure, he has a lot to learn -- we're not talking a polished defender like a Jake Sanderson, here.

When I worry about a player's hockey IQ, it has more to do with the repetition of mistakes than the initial making of them. These are 17 and 18 year old kids, after all. Mukhamadullin was in a tough spot last year as the youngest player on his KHL squad and, as such, the lowest defenseman on the depth chart. If he made a mistake in the first period, he'd often be lucky to see two more shifts the rest of the game. But I did not see a kid who blundered the same way over and over again and cost his team goals and games. I have no idea where that myth came from.

We need to keep in mind the context of the draft when evaluating Shakir Mukhamadullin. The next three defensemen taken were Justin Barron, William Wallinder and Helge Grans. You can make a very good argument that Mukhamadullin has the highest hockey IQ out of these 4 players. Those other three kids all logged tons of ice time for lower level (comparatively to the KHL) teams last year, and they all had several recurring problems in terms of decision making. Due to his usage, Mukhamadullin is still a bit of a mystery but I would have to say it's foolish to condemn his hockey IQ at this point.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Where did you take this from?

I don`t believe there were two or three defensmen from `20 draft who can play 3 min in PK against adult euro Finland team. With 19 yo partners. Shaq did. For today, he is rather smart than skilled.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
For the 20th overall pick, he has much higher potential than that. He was a forward who is now learning a new position.
I still would have preferred to take Hendrix Lapierre at 20 . Far far more upside . Both are risky picks but Lapierre would have been a top 5 pick if not for his injury. I hope I am wrong but I still feel Fitz reached too far and drafted on need more so than BAP . The rest of the draft I liked , but this pick still bothers me. Like I said , I hope I a am wrong and we have the next Chara on our hands.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I still would have preferred to take Hendrix Lapierre at 20 . Far far more upside . Both are risky picks but Lapierre would have been a top 5 pick if not for his injury. I hope I am wrong but I still feel Fitz reached too far and drafted on need more so than BAP . The rest of the draft I liked , but this pick still bothers me. Like I said , I hope I a am wrong and we have the next Chara on our hands.

I'm a huge fan of Lapierre, but I'm not certain he would have gone top 5 even if healthy in the 2020 draft. I'd say the top 10 is a possibility. The superlative I'm fully willing to give Lapierre is "second-best playmaker in the draft after Lafreniere". The kid can dish like a dream. He is also potentially elite in terms of skating and puckhandling, so he is certainly a tremendous talent.

The fact remains that Lapierre's health had to be a concern for several NHL teams. Head, neck and back injuries are the scariest and the most recurring. Lapierre has suffered serious versions of all of these by the time he turned 18. It is also important to consider that he played very tentatively in his abbreviated draft-eligible campaign, possibly due to the injuries.

I certainly would have at least considered Lapierre at #20 overall. But I would also say that in terms of sheer upside, he was not the highest possible player here -- that honor I would give to Jacob Perreault, who went several picks later to Anaheim. But after taking two RWs, the Devils likely wanted a defenseman and went with Mukhamadullin, who it could be argued had the most sheer upside of any defenseman remaining.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Also I think it's important to remember that most of the negative criticism's were basing judgments from past years and one tournament, I believe where Shak even admitted he played terrible in an interview.

He is already proving them wrong this year.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->