Prospect Info: Shakir Mukhamadullin (#20 pick - 2020 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Rykov might have played in the NHL if he hadn’t gotten injured in Rangers training camp and didn’t return start playing in Hartford until early December. Rykov’s under contract but he has a European Assignment Clause so I don’t know that he won’t come over for Hartford. ( And don’t care enough to find out.)

It does feel like it might be harder to lure defensive defensemen over to NA compared to offensive players since the bigger paydays aren’t often there for that position. That’s why the Coyotes’ Lyubushkin is an interesting case, he’s a pretty old school defensive defenseman, but he was signed as free agent when he a top defenseman in the KHL. I have no idea if NHL types even identified him as a prospect in ~2013 though.

I don't think it's money. Even back-pairing D when they make it to UFA age get contracts for $2M which is probably something like $500,000 after taxes and escrow. I am skeptical guys like this get paid this much in Russia but I really don't know. I think it's more that it's a foreign country and your place in the organization is very fluid. Yakovlev came over and bounced between Binghamton and here. Had he stayed in North America, he could've easily been traded, subject to waivers, or whatever - it's one thing to play in a foreign country, yet another to be potentially on the move at any point.

As for Rykov, Brooks noted that he did not come back to North America for the Return to Play in July - I may have closed the door on his North American career too early but I suspect he won't be coming back.

There are that many Russian defensemen, either from juniors or the KHL organizations, drafted each year. Some of that drop off comes from shortening the NHL draft in 2004. Obviously that meant less drafted players in general but it goes from 2000-2002 having a dozen Russian defensemen a year to a low where (I’m pretty sure) Voynov was the only Russian defenseman drafted in 2008.

And yes, there were more Russian forwards being drafted then as well, with 25-30 Russian forwards being drafted in 2000-2002 while 7 forwards went in 2007 (and 2? in 2008). This also may have do with hesitancy to deal the KHL, Russian players unwillingness come over and maybe even the lowering of the UFA age.

I think the KHL dried up some of the picks but also Russia went through a pretty big dry spell. In 1999-2001, there were 19 Russians drafted in the 1st round and only 3 became average or above NHLers (Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Frolov). Chistov, Svitov, Yakubov, Smirnov, Vorobiev - a lot of these guys didn't even become particularly good pros. So sure, there was Ovechkin and Malkin and Kovalchuk, but they were cant-miss superstars - I think NHL teams became a lot more wary of investing a 1st round pick over there.

I’ve gotten sidetracked but I will add in the last few years it has picked up with 3-6 Russian defensemen drafted (partly do to us lol) and there’s been huge surge in Russian forwards, who are back up to about 20 being drafted a year.

Also, Elite Prospects does list our scouts and their “stats”. Shero did add the Devils first Russian national scouts with Misha Manchik in 2016-17 and Andrei Plekhanov in 2018-19. Poking around other team’s roster (dear god I need to get a life) I noticed that Russian scouts are something that a bunch of teams have added for the first time in the last few years. Teams’ European scouts are traditionally Swedes, Finns and Czechs (or North American). Tampa has had a Russian scout since 1999-2000 which pretty unique, though I have not checked every team.

So maybe Russian defenders under-exploited source for potential NHL players. This scouting staff is clearly not afraid to draft two-way defensemen with less offensive upside or even a straight-up defensive defenseman. There are specific risks to drafting that style of player that probably applies to a defensive prospect from any country.

I’ve rambled enough but I do share your curiosity about our scouts’ passion for Russian defensemen.

It's no surprise that the Devils basically avoided Russia from 2006 until 2016, as they didn't have a dedicated scout for it. But when you hear the stories, that basically nobody scouted Pavel Datsyuk except Detroit, it is a bit surprising that teams hadn't invested more until now. That said, I'm very curious about youth hockey in Russia and how things have changed from the early 90s until now (if they have).

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Rykov spent another year in Russia and I don’t know if his KHL contract status even allowed him to come over before that.

You’ve brought this up before I think you need to find it in your cold cold heart to forgive poor Yegor. (I mean, as much as one can forgive a player excited to a be a Ranger.)

At the time we didn’t have any Russian players on our roster while the Rangers had three and also Rykov was a teammate of future HHoF superstar legend NYR goalie Shesterkin while they were both on SKA St Petersburg.

It would be similar to a Swede being excited to be traded to NJ from a team with zero Swedes, except Swedes typically speak English pretty well. It probably pays for team pick a nationality or two, set up the ‘whatever’ mafia to make it more welcoming and easier for new European players to acclimate. Shero trying to plant the seeds for our Russian mob by drafting Maltsev from the same SKA system as well that year, as Shero had a mania for drafting players from the same team.

Do you want to play in the NHL or do you want to play with your friends? To me this was a pretty obvious decision. Play in NJ in the NHL where you have a clear path to success and if you aren't happy after a year or two quietly ask them to trade you. Rather than you going home to Russia they probably move you and if you are a trending up young defender the team will get something good back and it's a win-win. NJ could have imported a Russian to keep him company if that was the only stumbling block. I just think this was a bad decision on his part, but to be fair, if he only wanted to play in NY I wouldn't want him on the Devils.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
OMG, the takes on this poor kid from the Prospects forum is quite ugly.
Kniazev made some horrendous passes last night, and both he and Chayka made some terrible plays in the game before, and yet no one is bumping their thread to talk about it.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah I am not sure why he is being singled out like he is the only Russian who has made mistakes.
He's definitely been one of their best defenders, not one of their worst, but if all you did was read the mainboard you'd expect the opposite

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's definitely been one of their best defenders, not one of their worst, but if all you did was read the mainboard you'd expect the opposite

I noticed the same Rangers fan that pollutes all our prospect threads over there is up to his usual tricks too.

Loved sticking his nose in the Nico and Jack threads over the years too

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It's far too early to say who will make the WJC all-tournament team, but Mukhamadullin has to be in the mix. I mean, you could take the entire Canada blueline -- they've been tremendous. But outside Canada, I'd say you could narrow the candidates down to Niemela, Soderstrom, Mukhamadullin, Kirsanov, Faber and York.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's far too early to say who will make the WJC all-tournament team, but Mukhamadullin has to be in the mix. I mean, you could take the entire Canada blueline -- they've been tremendous. But outside Canada, I'd say you could narrow the candidates down to Niemela, Soderstrom, Mukhamadullin, Kirsanov, Faber and York.

I've been unimpressed with Soderstrom. He has yet to send a good pass over to Holtz on the PP. It's an easy pass. Ask Holtz where he wants the puck there and serve it up. Soderstrom is essentially stationary when he passes there as it Holtz and neither are under defensive pressure. I'd pick someone over him. What about Kynazev on Russia?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I've been unimpressed with Soderstrom. He has yet to send a good pass over to Holtz on the PP. It's an easy pass. Ask Holtz where he wants the puck there and serve it up. Soderstrom is essentially stationary when he passes there as it Holtz and neither are under defensive pressure. I'd pick someone over him. What about Kynazev on Russia?

I felt Kniazev has been hot and cold. Kirsanov has been better in my opinion.

Soderstrom has been terrific defensively, which is his bread and butter. He's good offensively, but not great. He and Bjornfot were actually solid vs. Russia when the rest of the Swedish blueline was being exposed and often embarrassed.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I thought Kniazev was awful in the Austria game, but they were playing Austria so he got away with it. Through 5 or 6 passes right up the middle that picked off, just nothing resulted from it. For sure if Muk had made even one of those there would be a twitter thread about it.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

Soderstrom has been terrific defensively, which is his bread and butter. He's good offensively, but not great. He and Bjornfot were actually solid vs. Russia when the rest of the Swedish blueline was being exposed and often embarrassed.
I thought Soderstrom was quite bad, especially in the offensive zone and on the powerplay. The amount of times he passes right into the skates of Holtz and Raymond is absolutely infuriating

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Someone just called him a 5th round talent - poster's first post here too lol

The account that called him a 5th rounder was just created and has only posted in the Mukhamadullin thread. Its a pure troll post.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The account that called him a 5th rounder was just created and has only posted in the Mukhamadullin thread. Its a pure troll post.

What I keep saying is we need to ignore this. The same people who slag Mukhamadullin are the same people who were predicting a Sweden gold or silver because of their defense. The Swedish blueline is actually a tremendous weakness. I can't say it enough -- outside of Team Canada, Mukhamadullin has been one of the best D in the tourney. But writers need to rationalize their wrong takes. Where's all the praise for Brock Faber and Topi Niemela -- two defensemen who were hideously underrated going into the 2020 draft and have dominated all throughout the WJC? Where is all the criticism of Philip Broberg, who has been arguably the most disappointing player in the entire tournament? You can't find it, because writers are still busy slagging Mukhamadullin and trying to rationalize their poor takes leading into the 2020 draft.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I'll be honest my excitement for Muk has toned-down big time in the last few months. It's still way to early though and anything can happen, but for now I don't expect much from him. He had a really hot start at KHL and looked like something special, but he hasn't really done anything after. I've also watched all his games at the WJC and I haven't been impressed, you'd expect an offensive dman to get atleast something done on a high scoring team like the russians. And it's that 1-0 CZE goal that still haunts me, it's not that he fumbled the puck in the blueline, but how he played it after that. It's like he completely gave up on the play and showed some real lack of hockey iq in the situation.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'll be honest my excitement for Muk has toned-down big time in the last few months. It's still way to early though and anything can happen, but for now I don't expect much from him. He had a really hot start at KHL and looked like something special, but he hasn't really done anything after. I've also watched all his games at the WJC and I haven't been impressed, you'd expect an offensive dman to get atleast something done on a high scoring team like the russians. And it's that 1-0 CZE goal that still haunts me, it's not that he fumbled the puck in the blueline, but how he played it after that. It's like he completely gave up on the play and showed some real lack of hockey iq in the situation.

Not Mukhamadullin's best moment, for certain.

But you have to admit, at least he's an interesting specimen. Russian KHL teams are not particularly known for giving kids his age big minutes, but that's the case with Mukhamadullin. Team Russia is not known for relying on less-than-stellar players to lead their team in ice time during the WJC, and yet here we are.

I've found myself defending Mukhamadullin all tourney long just because many of the people attacking him are the same people who overhype lesser defensemen in the tourney like Broberg and Ryan Johnson.

We can say a couple of very encouraging things about Mukhamadullin. His coaches seem to depend on him, he is capable of making high-end plays and passes, and -- although I'm not an analytics guy -- the metrics seem to be very much in his favor. Of course, you take this with the type of play you mentioned vs. Czech, where you can pull your hair out from its roots watching him.

I'm going to give Mukhamadullin the benefit of the doubt because of a few factors.

1)How much he has improved in one year.
At the outset of analyzing players for the 2020 draft, I had Mukhamadullin very, very high. At one point he was just outside my top 10 overall. I loved his combination of size & skill set. But I had to drop him like a bullet after an inconsistent 2019-20 campaign -- exactly what you're saying. In my preliminary draft rankings, I dropped Mukhamadullin to #42. In my final rankings, I had him as a 2nd/3rd round "tweener". All along I said he was an impossible guy to rank. But ranking is what I do, so I suppose I'm a jackass for bitching about it, ha.

2)Isn't inconsistency exactly the thing which improves with age and experience?
Mukhamadullin is certainly the type of player who makes a terrible play followed by a spectacular one, and vise versa. So he's frustrating to watch. He has a game like he did vs. Canada, where he was perhaps the best player on the ice. But then we have his game vs. Czech Republic, where he was very bad. Not Broberg Vs. Russia bad, but bad nevertheless. Hopefully experience teaches the kid to bring it every night, and to not get flustered by adversity. We shall see.

Last night, an old reader of mine in my Todays Slapshot days emailed me a very interesting question. He asked -- if the draft was held again today -- would I take Mukhamadullin at #20 overall. It's interesting to me because I've been his biggest defender all week long. But I must say, the answer is no. I'm going to stick by what I originally thought -- which was to draft one of my two highest ranked players, Perreault or Khusnutdinov. If I was pressured to take a defenseman, I would take my highest ranked D at that spot who was Brock Faber (though I would trade down first for Faber and try to get him in the late 20s).

This is not to say the Mukhamadullin pick bothers me. I've seen enough which encourages me to give the pick a few years. Although -- like you -- I also get frustrated. But, then I watch any shift by Dawson Mercer in the entire WJC tourney and I'm happy again, haha.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's almost like he's a teenager that's very raw and a project pick.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
It's almost like he's a teenager that's very raw and a project pick.

Well they are all teenagers in this tournament. Project for sure, but some things can be hard/impossible to fix like bad hockeyIQ. Same goes for size and skating though. I think my point was that he looked far more ready earlier, but now we just gotta let him develop a few years and then see what we got in him.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Well they are all teenagers in this tournament. Project for sure, but some things can be hard/impossible to fix like bad hockeyIQ. Same goes for size and skating though. I think my point was that he looked far more ready earlier, but now we just gotta let him develop a few years and then see what we got in him.
It's just a weird mindset to say you're only excited for a prospect when they're breaking records but then you "don't expect much" and say he "doesn't look like anything special" when it's literally been 12 weeks since he was drafted.

Being this reactionary to every single thing this kid does when we know he's a long term project is just really toxic IMO. I don't really care what he's doing game to game, there's a lot of moving parts here and the only way he's going to get better is years of training and learning from his mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad