F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Hey - if Bedard is the guy you are being compared against, that's a pretty good hockey player!
Watching the U18's, future looks good for Canada. No need to argue about X is better than Y

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
But if we do that, Bedard gets an unfair advantage because he'd be older by about 5 months than McKenna during the comparison, which is huge, no? I mean, it's about the same as the difference of how older McKenna is vs Bedard in their D-2 (7 months) that we can't use to compare them.

It is circular. I guess we'll have to wait and see McKenna's D-1.
No, it’s not a big deal.

The same way Colby Barlow being 5 months older than Bedard makes very little difference.

McKenna is young for his age group. That absolutely plays into him being less developed. But the difference is nowhere near the difference between a 17 and 18 year old season in the CHL.

Playing against guys 2 years behind you is a much, much, much larger advantage than being 5 months older in the same age group

Last edited:
Reactions: prongertheman9

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
not really because it'd take another Bedard/McDavid/Matthews level player to unseat him. Odds of that happening aren't high
I’m far from anti-McKenna, but he’s a smallish, perimeter winger. As good as he is and even if it might be a mistake, teams often prefer big centers that play a two way game. He may be able to keep ahold of that presumptive 1OA spot, but if hypothetically there’s some 6’2 two way center without a real weakness that player could close the gap for NHL teams by June 2026. Look at Michkov. He went seventh. Some of that was other factors, but I think that type of smaller winger archetype is not typically a riser. Usually they are fallers.

And I’m not saying it would be right. I generally agree that it’s hard to believe someone is better, but we see how NHL teams trend as it gets closer to the draft, so we really should see what the field of competitors looks like before saying with any comfortability about what it’s shaping up to be.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I’m far from anti-McKenna, but he’s a smallish, perimeter winger. As good as he is and even if it might be a mistake, teams often prefer big centers that play a two way game. He may be able to keep ahold of that presumptive 1OA spot, but if hypothetically there’s some 6’2 two way center without a real weakness that player could close the gap for NHL teams by June 2026. Look at Michkov. He went seventh. Some of that was other factors, but I think that type of smaller winger archetype is not typically a riser. Usually they are fallers.

And I’m not saying it would be right. I generally agree that it’s hard to believe someone is better, but we see how NHL teams trend as it gets closer to the draft, so we really should see what the field of competitors looks like before saying with any comfortability about what it’s shaping up to be.
Don't know if I would be calling McKenna small....especially by the time his draft rolls around.
In these 2 games, he doesn't play small either.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't know if I would be calling McKenna small....especially by the time his draft rolls around.
In these 2 games, he doesn't play small either.
Mitch Marner is 6’0 180 and gets that label. McKenna is 6’0 165. He definitely lacks bulk and has NHL average or slightly below average size for the NHL (average height is right around 6’1).

Not by a lot, but he’s still not completely out of the woods for that label. He could shed it. He has a few years to do so.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Doubt that will factor much when the talent level is this high. It's like saying Patrick Kane would drop because he was a small winger. Sometimes the skill is too high for those things to matter much.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

As of right now there are no challengers to McKenna, he is without question the pre-eminent player for the 26 draft BUT much can change in two years. As you said, a big powerful center who has a monster year can certainly unseat McKenna.

Take a look at a player like Ryan Roobroeck. 6'2 who will likely stick at the C position. As of now, hiss offensive skills pale in comparison but in two years time as he further develops, well who knows. His brother is listed at 6'7 so it's certainly within the realm of possibility that Ryan could top out at 6'4 or even 6'5. If he crushes the OHL next year then he will certainly be in contention for that number one spot.

Who knows who will come out of Russia, an increasingly under scouted area or who will develop and explode onto the scene in one of the may Euro leagues.

I agree, two years out is simply to far out to definitely state who will be the number one player.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Mitch Marner is 6’0 180 and gets that label. McKenna is 6’0 165. He definitely lacks bulk and has NHL average or slightly below average size for the NHL (average height is right around 6’1).

Not by a lot, but he’s still not completely out of the woods for that label. He could shed it. He has a few years to do so.
McKenna is 6 foot 1 not 6 foot 0, also, does not weigh 165 lbs lol, probably weighted 165 at 13-14...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My first time seeing him the last few days. Really talented player, hope he continues to develop well. That said...

I agree he doesn't have the profile of an unquestionable number one pick. He might end up that way, who knows.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

The last player to meet this description that went first overall is Auston Matthews in 2016. Hischier 2017 and Celebrini 2024 border on that description, but they are mid sized two way centers.

First overall has shown to be a talent pick, not a specific profile.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The last player to meet this description that went first overall is Auston Matthews in 2016. Hischier 2017 and Celebrini 2024 border on that description, but they are mid sized two way centers.

First overall has shown to be a talent pick, not a specific profile.
Could be a defensemen.

What if there’s some winger too who hasn’t hit junior that plays like a Slafkovsky that has a monstrous development curve?

It’s nearly impossible to know about the 2026 draft before the 2024-25 season starts. The draft cycle for those players is for the most part 2024-25 and 2025-26.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
McKenna has the best hands I’ve ever seen on a prospect. He is unbelievable

For real. I really love that that he is doing ”new” stuff. Watching him play really makes you think that only physics and his own imagination limits what he could do next.

Creativity was the word i was trying to come with :D

Special talent indeed

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad