Euro: SF: England v Denmark, 7/7/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't really understand this talk about 55 years of hurt. 51 years more likely when they were knocked out in 1970 and since then fell fast.

After all, what was so hurtful about being the reigning champions in 1966-1970?
53 years. The Euro counts for something.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't think it is very useful to compare individual players to individual players. Clearly, Denmark will not end up on top in many of those one to ones - goalkeeper and maybe some fairly even match ups here and there. Among the outfield players, I can't see Denmark clearly being stronger in any position, but there are certainly a few where England are.

For me this will come down to Denmark's ability to get the match to settle down quickly. England have struggled to create chances against teams with a much weaker central core than Denmark's got. Delaney - Højbjerg - Vestergaard (hopefully he doesn't %""%" up) - Kjær - Christensen - Schmeichel is a very very strong core defensively. If it stays 0-0 and you see England getting a bit more stressed as the game moves along, then who knows. Certainly not impossible for Denmark to hurt England then. Not to mention on set-pieces. I'm not sure about Delaney how he is on offensive set-pieces, but all the five mentioned are from very good to good in the air - add Dolberg and it is quite clear that there will be some match ups there which England will not like. Defensively, I guess Maguire is very good in the air. Kane is exceptional at covering the front post, but then you are quickly getting to players like Stones etc. who are decent in the air, but who could never match the Danish player they will be marking. If Maguire is on Vestergaard then Kjær or Christensen will always be the favourite against Stones. Not to mention the 3rd best English defender who is then up against the one Stones isn't marking and so on. This game could very well end up being won by Højbjerg beating Phillips or someone in the air.

Still think England will win of course. 70/30 or something like that. Maybe even close to 80/20 because it is at Wembley.

Reactions: gary69

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Don't really have a horse in this one but I imagine it'll be a spirited tilt.

Is Eriksen still in hospital or has he been seen at all in Denmark's games? I assume he's not playing but even in plainclothes he could be there as support?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They are not the same, but not sure if I see why Saka would start against Denmark. I think England's biggest challenge will be to break through a low block (I might be wrong of course). Under such conditions, I would have played Grealish. If not Grealish so Sancho - and not Saka.

Reactions: gary69 and luiginb

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Saw an analysis on Finnish media that England attack less than some teams that didn't get out of their groups. But when they do, they create high quality chances very efficiently.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I think Denmark is stronger in goal, central defense and central midfield. That should be enough with a little luck on offense. LFG!!

As somebody who watches Jannick Vestergaard every week, I find that laughable.

An in form Harry Kane is salivating at the thought of playing against him.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Don't really have a horse in this one but I imagine it'll be a spirited tilt.

Is Eriksen still in hospital or has he been seen at all in Denmark's games? I assume he's not playing but even in plainclothes he could be there as support?

I'm sure he was released from hospital last week after his pacemaker thing was fitted. I think he was going to Italy to see Inters doctors.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

Not sure what you have against your third best player at Southampton. Let's wait and see about Kane vs Vestergaard.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

To be fair England deploy Harry Maguire.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Not sure what you have against your third best player at Southampton. Let's wait and see about Kane vs Vestergaard.

Being third best player at Southampton isn't saying a lot. Especially considering the fact we conceded 68 league goals this season...

Stones and Maguire are both far superior to big Jannick. I'd say that Tyrone Mings is better too.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't think anyone could deny England has the by far better team on paper. Denmark's hope is that you don't need to be better as a sum of players over the course of a season or career in order to be better as a team on one given day in one 90 or 120 minute match. The best collection of players doesn't always win.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Denmark has nothing to lose and everything to gain, unlike England who have everything on their side since the start of the tournament and therefore much more to lose. Will Denmark be afraid? Will England feel the pressure?

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Vestergaard is Denmarks worst defender. I take Kjær and Christensen over Stones and Maguire. Schmeichel over Pickford and Højbjerg/Delaney over Rice/Phillips. With that being said, Denmark is underdogs. I just think it's closer than this thread and the media thinks.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Vestergaard is Denmarks worst defender. I take Kjær and Christensen over Stones and Maguire. Schmeichel over Pickford and Højbjerg/Delaney over Rice/Phillips. With that being said, Denmark is underdogs. I just think it's closer than this thread and the media thinks.

How is that name pronounced?

Is it like "Share"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad