Seth Jones or Patrik Laine

Seth Jones or Patrik Laine

• Jones

• Laine

Results are only viewable after voting.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
From Wild's point of view Laine would be the guy that we need a lot.

Laine - Staal - Granlund

Kinda good, eh?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Ooohhh... Tough call. I'm a big fan of having a stacked defence, but Laine is exactly the kind of elite forward we desperately need. Jones is definitely more valuable in a vacuum. Leaning slightly towards Laine though.

Laine - Thornton - Meier
Hertl - Couture - Labanc
Kane - Pavelski - Donskoi

Damn that's a stacked group. All three lines are interchangeable. No clear 1st line.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Really? stats ain't enough so you want to talk age? meh, I'll pass. I want to talk about value of position. I want to talk about ice time. Who's going to break up plays defensively and then help transition to offense. I want to talk about the position that can help wingers score more by holding the line in the offensive zone, and launch shots that give up juicy rebounds, and provide redirection possibilities for wingers.

Sorry, unless you have something to change my mind, I will always value defensemen over wingers; all things being equal. Centers...maybe.

So you take Chara over Ovechkin?

But as to this certain poll, I say a general thing: defensemen take longer to develop. Jones is just getting into his best, so is Laine. So the age doesn't matter, and then it's... taking any of them won't be a mistake. Just the different way to the same target.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
laine's more comparable to Stamkos at a similar age not Ovechkin. Ovechkin was a lot more dynamic and didn't have the support Laine/Stamkos did. He had to do all the work on his goals and points
Ovi had not played a single NHL game at this age, so I have no idea what you're rambling about.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Ovi had not played a single NHL game at this age, so I have no idea what you're rambling about.

There are reasons why Ovi didn't play a single game at Laine's age......none of which was for a lack of talent!! Ovi could have played in the NHL at 15.........laine not so much, get over the age BS that you Laine fan boys alway spew out it's tiring!

Pretty soon we are going to hear ...but Laine is only 28, then only 29...etc etc....give it a rest!!!

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
There are reasons why Ovi didn't play a single game at Laine's age......none of which was for a lack of talent!! Ovi could have played in the NHL at 15.........laine not so much, get over the age BS that you Laine fan boys alway spew out it's tiring!

Pretty soon we are going to hear ...but Laine is only 28, then only 29...etc etc....give it a rest!!!
Please do open up on these reasons then?

Slap

Sep 28, 2017

I'm probably not what you mean when you say "fan boy". Ovi was in the old Russian league and had quite pedestrian numbers compared to Laine in the NHL at similar age. This is a fact. Laine was way more impressive between ages 17-20.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Purely positional, but I'd take Jones

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Brown/Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen

Rielly - Jones
Gardiner - Hainsey

Andersen

That team would be tough to beat in a 7 game series

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I'm probably not what you mean when you say "fan boy". Ovi was in the old Russian league and had quite pedestrian numbers compared to Laine in the NHL at similar age. This is a fact. Laine was way more impressive between ages 17-20.

I wouldn't say that, Ovi has torn up the League since day 1 and hasn't stopped yet!!! I don't care about ages.. I care about time they have been in the league since they entered. Ovi has RIPPED THE LEAGUE A NEW ONE!! LAINE NOT SO MUCH......oh yeah I forgot laine is what only 17 is it??

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
They were only 13 points apart from one another and one is a defenseman who plays elite defense to go along with those points. This is easy for me.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
They were only 13 points apart from one another and one is a defenseman who plays elite defense to go along with those points. This is easy for me.

Take away Scheifele and PP and it's not even a contest!!!!

Actually just take away Scheifele and its not even a contest...My mistake!

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I wouldn't say that, Ovi has torn up the League since day 1 and hasn't stopped yet!!! I don't care about ages.. I care about time they have been in the league since they entered. Ovi has RIPPED THE LEAGUE A NEW ONE!! LAINE NOT SO MUCH......oh yeah I forgot laine is what only 17 is it??
Doesn't make it true even if you'd add more exclamation marks.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
If Patrick Maroon worked with Mcdcvid, than Laine would probably work.
Not to mention he was spectacular with Pulju and Aho at the WJC. They both can fly with the best of them.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Please do open up on these reasons then?

He wasn't eligible to play before. I don't know how he would have done, but he clearly would have been able to come in right after his draft. But the lockout happened.

I don't really expect Laine to challenge for 3rd in NHL scoring next season. It's not impossible, but I don't think it's likely. Ovechkin scored 106 (3rd in the NHL) in his rookie year where his next highest team-mate scored 57. There needs to be a significant jump in Laine's game in order to have similar level season.

I'll say this much though, it took OV until his 3rd season and 22 year old to have higher goal finish than Laine had as a 19 year old. Goal-scoring wise, Laine is probably ahead of OV. We'll see how well he adjusts to the NHL and if he can actually challenge Ovechkin is goals department. I doubt he ever reaches Ovechkin's peak though. But not many have.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

Ovi's first season was his d+2 because of the lockout...

Ovi D+2= 52 goals, 106 points
Laine D+2= 44 goals, 70 points

In Ovi's D+2 season the second highest scorer on his team was...drumroll...Zubrus with 57 points. Ovi literally scored more than the caps 2nd and 3rd leading scorers combined playing for a terrible team with awful linemates.

In Laine's D+2 season Wheeler scored 91 points with Ehlers, Scheifele, and Connor all putting up 60,60,57 respectively.

So how exactly is Laine more impressive? Ovi was so much more dynamic than Laine that it's a joke to even try to compare them.

Reactions: thunder16

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Ovi's first season was his d+2 because of the lockout...

Ovi D+2= 52 goals, 106 points
Laine D+2= 44 goals, 70 points

In Ovi's D+2 season the second highest scorer on his team was...drumroll...Zubrus with 57 points. Ovi literally scored more than the caps 2nd and 3rd leading scorers combined playing for a terrible team with awful linemates.

In Laine's D+2 season Wheeler scored 91 points with Ehlers, Scheifele, and Connor all putting up 60,60,57 respectively.

So how exactly is Laine more impressive? Ovi was so much more dynamic than Laine that it's a joke to even try to compare them.
If you read my post again I was talking about ages 17-20. You're correct Ovis d+2 season was clearly better, no one is denying that. Here onwards we'll just have to wait and see.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Not to mention he was spectacular with Pulju and Aho at the WJC. They both can fly with the best of them.

Who gives a flying ......Its a Junior tournament...North Americans forget it once it's over ..Finns never forget it. it's a kids tournament it means nothing. Get over it!

Plenty of players had a fantastic JR. tournament only to never have a sniff at the NHL...it MEANS NOTHING......i HAVE BEEN WATCHING IT SINCE INCEPTION.....IT MEANS NOTHING.

I can't believe people even bring it up anymore.

Last edited:

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
This is easily Jones but this is setting up Laine for failure because anyone who knows anything about building a team always takes the #1D before the #1W.
That being said, I'd say Laine is a better winger relative to his peers than Jones is as a defenseman relative to his peers but defense is a much, much more important position.
Disagree. Jones is a top 5-6 defenseman

I can name more than 6 wingers I take over Laine.

Giroux
Kane
Kucherov
Wheeler
Ovechkin
Hall
Marchand
Benn
Gaudreau
Tarasenko

Then hes in a group with

Kassel
Voracek

Im comfortable saying hes not a top 10 winger

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Who gives a flying ......Its a Junior tournament...North Americans forget it once it's over ..Finns never forget it. it's a kids tournament it means nothing. Get over it!
You seem like you're a bit too emotional for a hockey discussion right now. Take a nap buddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad