Seth Jones or Patrik Laine

Seth Jones or Patrik Laine

• Jones

• Laine

Results are only viewable after voting.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine doesn't have the athleticism, speed, skills, vision or power game that young OVI had. Young OVI was a one man wrecking crew, Laine is a one trick pony. It's a hell of a trick tho.

I hope you don't expect prime Laine to be that.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
If NHL experience was the only advantage Laine had, you might have a point, but NHL experience only has very slight significance, whereas physical maturity has all the significance.

Might wanna look at the below post also (Btw, Laine was the only player to reach 20 PP goals last season and they are not even double shifting him [yet]).

So far Laine is ahead of Ovi. You can slice it and dice it any way you want but it won't change this fact. Maybe the situation changes in the future, maybe not. People develop individually anyway so the age comparison is only the best guess we have. But if you want to calculate in something as insignificant as NHL experience, then we should look at all the context.

If we would actually know the stage of physical development for these guys, we could do a more accurate comparison. I suspect Laine would separate himself even more in this case having the larger frame and injury history, but this is pure speculation.

Please explain how somehow it's fair that Laine being 5 months older with TWO years of NHL experience over Ovi is somehow putting them on an even playing field? Stop pretending that NHL experience is nothing, when it is just as important (ie. look at Gaudreau and how he needed NHL experience to become the elite player he is today, being 20 years old when he played his first NHL game was no advantage, or planarian being fully developed as far as his body goes, and being better today than he was 2 years ago due to EXPERIENCE, or kuznetsov as well)

Yet SOMEHOW when Ovi gets 7 months of an age advantage (only 2 more than what you are giving Laine), whilst still giving Laine a year of NHL experience, this is somehow unfair and ludicrous.

So no, NHL experience isn't the only thing that Laine gets in his favour (which is indeed very valuable), but also 5 months of age gap (which is very close to the age difference that Ovi has in hand in the NORMAL way of comparing players). So don't say I'm trying to 'slice and dice it' in any way, as I am using the normal draft comparison (which still gives Laine a larger advantage anyways), and you are trying to find ways to give Laine an even bigger advantage since he didn't outperform Ovi this year (funny how you didn't comment on the Matthews age gap, it would fit your agenda so well to make more excuses for him)

As I said, it's very cut and dry how the situation is, I'm done arguing with you about it, as it's only you and a couple other Laine fanatics trying to change the logical and fair way of comparing the two players. Have a great day :)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We were talking about a 20 year old Laine. I don't get why Laine fans are so insecure.

I haven't said anywhere Laine is perfect and there's ton of areas I want him to improve, and it sounds like they've been working towards that this summer.

It would be crazy to expect Laine to stay the same.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Laine one trick pony again.... not saying he is a complete player or anything but despite his lack of skating he has many tools and skills...

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Please explain how somehow it's fair that Laine being 5 months older with TWO years of NHL experience over Ovi is somehow putting them on an even playing field? Stop pretending that NHL experience is nothing, when it is just as important (ie. look at Gaudreau and how he needed NHL experience to become the elite player he is today, being 20 years old when he played his first NHL game was no advantage, or planarian being fully developed as far as his body goes, and being better today than he was 2 years ago due to EXPERIENCE, or kuznetsov as well)

Yet SOMEHOW when Ovi gets 7 months of an age advantage (only 2 more than what you are giving Laine), whilst still giving Laine a year of NHL experience, this is somehow unfair and ludicrous.

So no, NHL experience isn't the only thing that Laine gets in his favour (which is indeed very valuable), but also 5 months of age gap (which is very close to the age difference that Ovi has in hand in the NORMAL way of comparing players). So don't say I'm trying to 'slice and dice it' in any way, as I am using the normal draft comparison (which still gives Laine a larger advantage anyways), and you are trying to find ways to give Laine an even bigger advantage since he didn't outperform Ovi this year (funny how you didn't comment on the Matthews age gap, it would fit your agenda so well to make more excuses for him)

As I said, it's very cut and dry how the situation is, I'm done arguing with you about it, as it's only you and a couple other Laine fanatics trying to change the logical and fair way of comparing the two players. Have a great day :)

Did you not read the rest of my post and the other one?

What do you think Ovi was doing when Laine was playing hockey in the NHL? He was playing hockey in the Russian league. It's not chess.

Russian league: "Ovi, score"
NHL: "Ovi, score"

Even if you were right (you are not, at least according to the analytics community, NHL experience is not very significant, whereas physical maturity is way more relevant), consider the crazy difference in TOI and PP opportunities. Guys like Laine and Ovechkin love that s***. You don't think that part is way more relevant here?

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017

"Laine is in a different class as a player than Jones, and if we look at the potential the gap is simply absolutely enormous"

Nahhh​

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
For the Panthers, out biggest need is a top 4 defenseman. And Jones fills that hole. He is a top pairing defenseman atm, and that contract as well, it makes it an easy choice for me. Also Jones > Ekblad.

I really don't like Laine's overall game. Sure, he's a great goal scorer, but he lacks in other areas.

You don't have to be good in other areas when you're that good at scoring. Everyone has a role on the team. Not everyone can be a complete player. If he didn't lack in other areas he would be perfect.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Did you not read the rest of my post and the other one?

What do you think Ovi was doing when Laine was playing hockey in the NHL? He was playing hockey in the Russian league. It's not chess.

Russian league: "Ovi, score"
NHL: "Ovi, score"

Even if you were right (you are not, at least according to the analytics community, NHL experience is not very significant, whereas physical maturity is way more relevant), consider the crazy difference in TOI and PP opportunities. Guys like Laine and Ovechkin love that s***. You don't think that part is way more relevant here?

This seems highly questionable. And how are they measuring physical maturity? Because age is a mediocre proxy

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Time for the Laine "List of achievements". I hope its not off to editing right now, however, if it is dont forget his allstar game lap time.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Time for the Laine "List of achievements". I hope its not off to editing right now, however, if it is dont forget his allstar game lap time.

His top speed is probably above average he just isent quick in acceleration and agility...skating is his weakest asset which says alot about how good his other assets are :)

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
This seems highly questionable. And how are they measuring physical maturity? Because age is a mediocre proxy

What do you mean highly questionable? Which part?

Age is not a great guess, but it is the best guess we have in terms of physical maturity. I guess you could get some clue about that through trainer comments or something but probably not very solid data.

It's like measuring check points in a rally. It won't tell you who wins the race but if you choose to ignore the value of measuring check points then you should probably re-evaluate that position.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
I don't know enough about Jones, but I had Laine in fantasy last year so he was under a bit of a microscope for me; the ice time/quality of line mates he had relative to his production was absurd. I now want to know way more about Jones since he is winning the poll.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
They are pretty close in value. I personally didn't realize Jones put up 57 points last year, that's pretty crazy. Laine on the other hand is probably going to be the best goalscorer in the league for a good decade after Ovie retires.

Jones really has to keep up with those 50-60 point seasons for me to pick him over Laine who is most likely going to be a regular ~50 goals and 40~ assists kind of guy in a couple of years.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
A Norris Trophy Candidate #1D is more valuable than a Franchise Winger. There are a lot of very good wingers in this league and not nearly as many elite defenseman.
yeah i'll take the guy threatening Ovechkin for the rocket every season...I must have missed Jones threatening the Norris considering Laine was 2nd in goals was Jones 2nd in Norris votes? Laine doesn't even play top minutes yet and was 19 last season. This isn't your typical UFA 1st line winger here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad