Proposal: Seth Jones for M. Marner

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well thankfully Leafs aren't trading Pokemon cards and don't care which one is more rare.

You take Marner away from this team and add Jones we are worse. Simple as that.

Marner seems to be underrated here, he's gonna be a 90-100 point player or morw for the next 10+ years, driving play. Keeping the Leafs as one of the top offensive teams in the league. Take that to the bank.

I mean yeah he's one of the core pieces the team is build around. Pretty similar thing would happen to the Jackets. They are build around what they have left. A great defense. Just ripping out the best piece and randomly throwing in a highend winger who may or may not fit the teams current system sounds like a terrible idea for them too.

Reactions: Armourboy and Viqsi

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Well thankfully Leafs aren't trading Pokemon cards and don't care which one is more rare.

Marner seems to be underrated here, he's gonna be a 90-100 point player or morw for the next 10+ years, driving play. Keeping the Leafs as one of the top offensive teams in the league. Take that to the bank.
Is your name really Paul by any chance?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I didn't say anything about rarity, so I don't know what that has to do with anything.

But you're right. Toronto and their high flying super paid offense is obviously good enough to get them a cup regardless of their defense and this has been shown over the last few years. Seth Jones would definitely make them a worse team.

Since Toronto doesn't need one of the best defensemen in the league to bring them down, how about a Jones/Draisaitl deal of some sort? :D

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I get the comparison with Kucherov/Marner but to believe Reilly and Jones are on the same tier is flat-out wrong.

Seems to prove the statement "1D are valuable than #1 wingers" are kinda ridiculous then right? Stupid to ignore the actual quality of players isn't it?

Not to say Jones isn't a fantastic player, but I'd rather Marner, doesn't matter that he's a winger. He drives play like a center.

I mean yeah he's one of the core pieces the team is build around. Pretty similar thing would happen to the Jackets. They are build around what they have left. A great defense. Just ripping out the best piece and randomly throwing in a highend winger who may or may not fit the teams current system sounds like a terrible idea for them too.
not saying it's a great trade for the Jackets either. Both teams are content with keeping their guys.

Is your name really Paul by any chance?
Yea, you got me. Its me Marners dad.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Seems to prove the statement "1D are valuable than #1 wingers" are kinda ridiculous then right? Stupid to ignore the actual quality of players isn't it?

Not to say Jones isn't a fantastic player, but I'd rather Marner, doesn't matter that he's a winger. He drives play like a center.

not saying it's a great trade for the Jackets either. Both teams are content with keeping their guys.

Okay, serious question here. What do the Leafs need to do to become a perennial cup contender? I think it's fixing their D, which to my mind means the team isn't quite constructed correctly to do any damage in the playoffs. However, if you disagree tell me what you think they should do.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, I think it’s a fair deal. I just don’t want to add to Marner to get it done, or trade a core player we just signed to a long term contract. If CBJ fans don’t want to do it either, that’s completely fine.
That's a completely valid perspective. If I had Marner on my team, I wouldn't want to trade him either.

* * *​
Since Toronto doesn't need one of the best defensemen in the league to bring them down, how about a Jones/Draisaitl deal of some sort? :D
trouble.gif

Reactions: Dominance

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I don't think the argument that #1D are more value than #1 wingers is a very good one. There is a wide range among teams on what constitutes a #1D or a #1 winger. The more compelling argument is that all else being equal, a defenseman is more valuable than a winger.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I would argue that Jones is hypothetically more valuable on the trade market than Marner is, but that it's a moot point as it does not profit either team to make such a deal regardless. If this were a pure "asset value maximization" exercise, maybe one could justify Toronto pursuing it, but trades are ultimately about team building, and Toronto is built around its offense, of which Marner is an absolutely critical part. Accordingly, adding Jones wouldn't make up for losing Marner.

Reactions: Kelly

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs won’t trade Marner or Matthews. Faces of the franchise don’t get traded on a whim. Dubas will trade lesser pieces for a lesser defenseman. They don’t need a 1D, a couple of solid top 4D will suffice.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Okay, serious question here. What do the Leafs need to do to become a perennial cup contender? I think it's fixing their D, which to my mind means the team isn't quite constructed correctly to do any damage in the playoffs. However, if you disagree tell me what you think they should do.

Their defense is obviously the weakness. But trading Marner blows a huge hole in their offense, totally tears down what they have up there. The powerplay becomes significantly worse, and we lose our (arguably) second best skater. Trading Marner is clearly not the answer. Upgrade the D within different avenues.

I don't think the argument that #1D are more value than #1 wingers is a very good one. There is a wide range among teams on what constitutes a #1D or a #1 winger. The more compelling argument is that all else being equal, a defenseman is more valuable than a winger.

Fair, but something I still don't agree with. Would people of taken prime Keith over Patty Kane? Some might of, but it's not that simple at all.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Jones is a beast, # 1 d, top 10-15 in the game. Marner is a 90+ and likely 100 point winger in the making. They have to have similar value. Probably one of those deals where both teams just stick with there guy

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would add to Marner to get Jones. It gives us the top dman we need and cap relief at the same time. Also note that Marner's AAV is greater that the money owed due to bonuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad