Proposal: Seth Jones for M. Marner

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Not sure if it's a case of Marner being underrated or Jones being overrated, but Jones flat out isn't as good or valuable as Marner. Let alone way more valuable like some people seem to think
Neither player is being under or overrated. #1 Defensemen are more valuable than wingers. It's the way it is. You're free to disagree, but the only people who seem to disagree are Leaf Fans. That should be telling.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Neither player is being under or overrated. #1 Defensemen are more valuable than wingers. It's the way it is. You're free to disagree, but the only people who seem to disagree are Leaf Fans. That should be telling.
Not surprising since most non-leaf fans are out to lunch in regards to Leaf players, always have been.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Not sure if it's a case of Marner being underrated or Jones being overrated, but Jones flat out isn't as good or valuable as Marner. Let alone way more valuable like some people seem to think
No, I think it’s a fair deal. I just don’t want to add to Marner to get it done, or trade a core player we just signed to a long term contract. If CBJ fans don’t want to do it either, that’s completely fine.

I actually think both players are overrated on here.

Reactions: Viqsi

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Not surprising since most non-leaf fans are out to lunch in regards to Leaf players, always have been.
Marner is an amazing talent, and one of the best play drivers I've seen in recent years. But I firmly believe that Seth Jones, while playing the much more.important position and making half the amount of money as Marner is more valuable. The one constant I've always seen on HF is that #1 Defensemen,and #1 Centers are the most important positions on a team. This doesn't suddenly change because it's Mitch Marner.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Please...not 1 person said anything negative about Marner so far ..just wingers are less valued than #1D...facts are facts
Ridiculous blanket statement.

Rielly more valuable than Kucherov?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Marner is an amazing talent, and one of the best play drivers I've seen in recent years. But I firmly believe that Seth Jones, while playing the much more.important position and making half the amount of money as Marner is more valuable. The one constant I've always seen on HF is that #1 Defensemen,and #1 Centers are the most important positions on a team. This doesn't suddenly change because it's Mitch Marner.
Well thankfully Leafs aren't trading Pokemon cards and don't care which one is more rare.

You take Marner away from this team and add Jones we are worse. Simple as that.

Marner seems to be underrated here, he's gonna be a 90-100 point player or morw for the next 10+ years, driving play. Keeping the Leafs as one of the top offensive teams in the league. Take that to the bank.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I am kind of surprised that more Leaf fans aren't in favor of this. Jones would go a long way to fixing their D, and to my mind that is the last piece of the puzzle for Toronto to be a real cup contender.

Marner is a gifted winger, one of the best in the game, but the Leafs have a lot of talent up front and could survive a Marner trade. Also, at just under $11 Million AAV, Marner's contract uses up a fair chunk of cap space. Jones at $5.4 Million for this year and two more after.. I think this is kind of a no brainer.

Just my opinion though gang.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Why do people keep thinking Toronto can trade one of their overpaid wingers for some of the best young defenseman in the game?

Nobody is going to trade young #1 defenseman for an 11M winger lol.
Kind of funny that you're praising Jones for being so young and he's actually almost 3 years older than Marner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad