Proposal: Seth Jones for M. Marner

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Watched some of the Columbus game last night and saw Jones scored his 5th of the season. Is that all? Zach Aston-Reese has as many, and in much less minutes per game and no PP time.

So maybe:
To Pit: Jones
To CBJ: ZAR + cond. 6th

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If they could afford to take on Marner's enormous contract, why would they not be able to pony up for Jones?

Their General Manager isn't going to get bent over for nearly $11 million in a negotiation, and even if he did, in your scenario, they are willing to pay one player that cap hit.
I don't know what their offer would have been, however it was reported that Columbus was one of the teams who thought about giving Marner an offer sheet and I think they presented him with one and obviously he did not sign it.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-columbus-...tch-marner-s-camp-about-offer-sheet-1.1336526

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
I would never trade Jones for Marner if I was Columbus.
I would trade Marner for Jones if I was Toronto.

It's fair value, but it makes Columbus worse and Toronto better.

Reactions: Luckylarry

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Honestly it would be better suited for Columbus to trade for prospects. They are not gonna be competing for a cup anytime soon.
Benson + Ethan bear + 1st in 2020 + samourokov + Gagner.
Columbus 51 games 62 points
Edmonton 49 games 57 points

I would be careful, what you are saying or you can entertain some good old Barrie, Ceci, Kapanen, Bracco and 2nd for McD proposals.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007

I would be careful, what you are saying or you can entertain some good old Barrie, Ceci, Kapanen, Bracco and 2nd for McD proposals.

You forgot to mention that Edmonton's glorious performance is also in the weakest division, while Columbus is in the hardest.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019

Columbus had a chance last year. They don't have the horses. Only Seth Jones really.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
You forgot to mention that Edmonton's glorious performance is also in the weakest division, while Columbus is in the hardest.
Hmmm, Edmonton's record vs the hardest division(Metro) is 9-2-0.
Columbus' record vs the easy Pacific is 5-7-0.
Looks like Edmonton dominates the hard divsion and Columbus looks like they would get killed in the easiest division......

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would never trade Jones for Marner if I was Columbus.
I would trade Marner for Jones if I was Toronto.

It's fair value, but it makes Columbus worse and Toronto better.
Marner is awesome, but his contract is terrible. Draisatl is a better player than MM and on a way better contract. I would think Drai for Jones would be way more attractive to Columbus than MM.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Marner is awesome, but his contract is terrible. Draisatl is a better player than MM and on a way better contract. I would think Drai for Jones would be way more attractive to Columbus than MM.

I don't see Edmonton doing that, they lack a forwards, although uniting Seth and Caleb Jones might be attractive.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
This seems like a good deal. Columbus gets a star player with a long term contract and Toronto gets a defenseman. It almost makes too much sense. With Marner Babcock experiment Tortorella will probably seem like a great guy lol

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
True. No chance the Preds give up an elite number one D man for an overpaid winger. That would be completely insane.
I don't be think the Preds trade Josi for an overpaid winger. I don't think the would even do it for Marner.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
This seems like a good deal. Columbus gets a star player with a long term contract and Toronto gets a defenseman. It almost makes too much sense. With Marner Babcock experiment Tortorella will probably seem like a great guy lol
Marner is very valuable to the Leafs(and likely the Jackets as well,if the offer sheet rumour is true). He is a difference maker.He controls play.He shows determination on a level higher than most.I wouldn't criticize Jones game,but he isn't the difference maker that Marner is. Subtracting Marner and inserting Jones doesn't bring the Leafs to the Cup.

For those entertaining Drai for Jones...never happen! Columbus adds.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Marner is very valuable to the Leafs(and likely the Jackets as well,if the offer sheet rumour is true). He is a difference maker.He controls play.He shows determination on a level higher than most.I wouldn't criticize Jones game,but he isn't the difference maker that Marner is. Subtracting Marner and inserting Jones doesn't bring the Leafs to the Cup.

For those entertaining Drai for Jones...never happen! Columbus adds.
Completely agree on both . Jones is a minus player and not even ranked in TSN top 50. Solid D but not worth marner or drai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad