Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Does Columbus have any good museums? Isn't he into museums? If not just tell him we don't have museums but Columbus has a nice zoo. So nice that it's been approved by Nathan Horton.

Dougie is not especially into museums, I think that might have been a joke that got taken seriously. IIRC the real thing that happened is that he took a pass on a team night out in Calgary so he could stay at home and read. He's more of a bookish introvert than a partyboy and that makes hockey people talk.

Yes it's unlikely that Dougie would sign with the Jackets, but you have to shoot your shot. You probably won't draft a better D-man than that. Make your pitch. Set up a meeting with Jack Hanna. Back up the Brinks truck.

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
O.K. tell, Colorado wants Jones. How is situation:

- MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar are untouchable
- Burakovsky`s contract is to 2021/22 and than UFA
- Kadri is M-NTC
- Landeskog and Saad are UFA
- Byram .... a pipe dream
- Newhook... I doubt, probably a pipe dream too
- Seattle can take one from trio Girard, Graves, Toews and if Colorado interest in Jones, IMHO they don`t need Girard, so Avs must trade him still before expansion draft or make a deal with Seattle
- Jost - an interesting center but he doesn`t have a big value now so Colorado must offer more
- 1th round (28) ... probably yes

As is Seattle will protect the big 3 - Makar, Girard, and Toews. They're not going to miss Graves.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Dougie is not especially into museums, I think that might have been a joke that got taken seriously. IIRC the real thing that happened is that he took a pass on a team night out in Calgary so he could stay at home and read. He's more of a bookish introvert than a partyboy and that makes hockey people talk.

Yes it's unlikely that Dougie would sign with the Jackets, but you have to shoot your shot. You probably won't draft a better D-man than that. Make your pitch. Set up a meeting with Jack Hanna. Back up the Brinks truck.
Oh ok. I wasn't sure when he said, no it's not true if it was him liking museums wasn’t true or him getting traded because of museums wasn't true.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
As is Seattle will protect the big 3 - Makar, Girard, and Toews. They're not going to miss Graves.
Graves is better in defense, his strenght and hitting are good. He played better in PO. His salary isn`t high. Lose him only so ... . And especially if they would want to get Jones... have three offensive d-men (without Seth) isn`t enough extra. In addition don`t forget about Byram. So IMHO his loss would be awkward for Avs. But you`re right value for Graves would be lower than for Girard. I was thinking about Girard's possible trade and I wasn't concentrating directly on the players. My mistake...

Btw, Makar, Jones, Toews, Byram, Graves - IMHO Colorado`s defense could be very good. :nod:

And if trade we could take ... Jean-Luc Foudy :sarcasm:

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Graves is better in defense, his strenght and hitting are good. He played better in PO. His salary isn`t high. Lose him only so... . And especially if they would want to get Jones... have three offensive d-men (without Seth) isn`t enough extra. In addition don`t forget about Byram. So IMHO his loss would be awkward for Avs. But you`re right value for Graves would be lower than for Girard. I was thinking about Girard's possible trade and I wasn't concentrating directly on the players.
Btw, Makar, Jones, Toews, Graves, Byram and Timmins - IMHO Colorado`s defense could be very good. :nod:

Graves' size is a big plus, but he is known for bad giveaways and missed assignments, not a defensive gem. Certainly not in the playoffs. He's been a target of angry Avs fans in the playoffs last year and this year. You might remember he got burned by Stone on the OT goal in game 5. I would structure the Avs top 4 like this:

Toews - Makar
Byram - Jones

That's not too much offense. Just replacing Girard with Jones should make them much more resilient defensively in the playoffs.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Graves' size is a big plus, but he is known for bad giveaways and missed assignments, not a defensive gem. Certainly not in the playoffs. He's been a target of angry Avs fans in the playoffs last year and this year. You might remember he got burned by Stone on the OT goal in game 5. I would structure the Avs top 4 like this:

Toews - Makar
Byram - Jones

That's not too much offense. Just replacing Girard with Jones should make them much more resilient defensively in the playoffs.
I`m afraid I was thinking about Girard`s trade and I wasn`t concentrating directly on the players... . My mistake.

I wrote he`s better in defense (for his salary) than Girard and not he`s something extra. ;) And find similar type of player after compensation for Jones wouldn`t have to be so easy.

I remember and read "happy" comments, but still, Mark Stone is higher level. Btw comments about Girard weren`t, diplomatic said, positive too. :cool:

TOP 4 Avs... I though about these couples too. :nod: Too much offense would be with Girard not without Girard. Because IMHO Colorado needs at least still one good, strenght stay-home d-man with good play in the front of the net.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I`m afraid I was thinking about Girard`s trade and I wasn`t concentrating directly on the players... . My mistake.

I wrote he`s better in defense (for his salary) than Girard and not he`s something extra. ;) And find similar type of player after compensation for Jones wouldn`t have to be so easy.

I remember and read "happy" comments, but still, Mark Stone is higher level. Btw comments about Girard weren`t, diplomatic said, positive too. :cool:

TOP 4 Avs... I though about these couples too. :nod: Too much offense would be with Girard not without Girard. Because IMHO Colorado needs at least still one good, strenght stay-home d-man with good play in the front of the net.

Yes certainly it is a too-harsh standard, Vegas can make great players look bad.

On the other hand that Vegas team is something Colorado will likely have to go through again in coming years and the Avs have to find ways to improve. It makes me appreciate Werenski and Jones, who despite their flaws, are pretty flawless when it comes to heavy playoff hockey. They are unmoved by a heavy forecheck, I can't remember them ever being weakened by it.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yes certainly it is a too-harsh standard, Vegas can make great players look bad.

On the other hand that Vegas team is something Colorado will likely have to go through again in coming years and the Avs have to find ways to improve. It makes me appreciate Werenski and Jones, who despite their flaws, are pretty flawless when it comes to heavy playoff hockey. They are unmoved by a heavy forecheck, I can't remember them ever being weakened by it.
Ondrej Palat said the Werenski-Jones pair is the best in NHL.
You're right, but Colorado doesn't have much time.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Anyways I'm here to try to determine what sort of package it would take to get Jones during the off-season/trade deadline... Would Girard + Jost+ 1st work?

What are you guys really looking for? Do you like any of our prospects (would prefer to hang on to Newhook)... But like Bowers, Kaut, Timmins, Barron, Ranta, O'Connor, Foudy?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Anyways I'm here to try to determine what sort of package it would take to get Jones during the off-season/trade deadline... Would Girard + Jost+ 1st work?

What are you guys really looking for? Do you like any of our prospects (would prefer to hang on to Newhook)... But like Bowers, Kaut, Timmins, Barron, Ranta, O'Connor, Foudy?

Last idea I had, was Girard, 1st, rights to Landy...something conditional if Landy doesn't sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad