Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Stay away from Eichel! Very talented player but what a diva! Same zoolander antics as Scheiffele has in winnipeg.

Jones for Lundell IMHO is what kind of future 1C this team needs.

You'd take Lundell who's never played a game in North America instead of Eichel who's a proven ppg 1C? Thank god you're not our GM.

Reactions: I3LI3

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Do you honestly think Eichel is the type of center to build a "winning" franchise around!?

You don't win cups with a nr 1C like Mathews; Mcdavid or Eichel, you need team first 200ft centers like Kopitar; Bergeron or Oreilly to build a winning team around them.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Do you honestly think Eichel is the type of center to build a "winning" franchise around!?

You don't win cups nr 1C like Mathews; Mcdavid or Eichel, you need team first 200ft centers like Kopitar; Bergeron, Oreilly to build a winning team around them.
Only I doubt Florida would be willing to trade him because of problems with centers. Plus he`s from Finland like Barkov. Maybe it would be better to concentrate on Nolan Patrick. His value is enough low now but potential very good.

Last edited:

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
According to Stanley cup winner and silver olympic medalist defender Kimmo Timonen,who still lives in Philly, Patrik is playing like he is scared of getting hurt and avoiding the corners and blue paint all season. After watching all of Nolans games he has come to the conclusion he was concussed and the so called "mygrain" issues where symptoms of this. Timonen has some good insider info in Philly and his eye test is better then ours any day.

Agree that Florida would not easily part with Lundell but IMHo they are set down the middle if they can extend Barkov and Bennett.

Maybe offer them Patrik so they can convince Barkov to resign long term together with his sidekick.

Either way Nolan is a reclamation project and not the major asset that Columbus should get in return for a future Norris winner IMHO.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Stay away from Eichel! Very talented player but what a diva! Same zoolander antics as Scheiffele has in winnipeg.

Jones for Lundell IMHO is what kind of future 1C this team needs.

Why would Florida trade Lundell for Jones with Ekblad and Weegar?

Zito also just seems to be extremely high on Lundell

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Because they are not deep enough on defence to win a cup and because they could probably convince Jones to sign long term in Florida.

But it looks like Colorado are going to get knocked out by Vegas and their slick skating puck moving defence was more suited to the regular season and not the playoffs, so maybe Sakic could offer Byram for Jones?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because they are not deep enough on defence to win a cup and because they could probably convince Jones to sign long term in Florida.

But it looks like Colorado are going to get knocked out by Vegas and their slick skating puck moving defence was more suited to the regular season and not the playoffs, so maybe Sakic could offer Byram for Jones?

Florida has Ekblad as their 1D and Weegar as another right shot who played like 1D this season.

They also have Barkov& Huberdeau contracts to worry about so Lundell on elc is worth gold to them

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Barkov like Jones is free to walk if he so chooses in one season. Signing Jones or Laine could be the clincher to convince him and Hubeedoo that Florida will be a contender for years to come. But they have to buy out Bobs contract before that..

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Barkov like Jones is free to walk if he so chooses in one season. Signing Jones or Laine could be the clincher to convince him and Hubeedoo that Florida will be a contender for years to come. But they have to buy out Bobs contract before that..

That’s fantasy talk for so many reasons.

Lundell is untouchable in Florida and Barkov signs an extension this summer

Reactions: Fro

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Examples of Edmonton and Toronto don`t teach anyone. When Scheifele was disqualified Winnipeg was out. Montreal has Suzuki, Danault, Kotkaniemi, E. Staal, Vegas has Karlsson, Stephenson, Roy. But they have very good defense and especially goalies. We don`t need 1C we have good centers IMHO we should take a good d-man and work with our young players. Let's learn from the mistakes we made, let's build a team gradually, step by step and not big trades/signs.

Our center corps is probably bottom-5 in the entire league right now. I have no idea how you can make that statement that we have good centers.

A few weeks ago I went back over Stanley Cup winners, seeing when the last team that had a mediocre 1C won the Cup. I got to the 95 Devils and then just stopped. Literally every Cup winner in the past 25+ years (possibly a lot longer than that, since I stopped checking) has had at least one center who either was/will be worthy of HOF debate and/or got 70+ points in the regular season the year his team won the Stanley Cup. It's possible that Montreal or Vegas wins it this year, and if they do, then they'd be the first since last century a Cup winner didn't have a center that fit at least one of those two aforementioned criteria (and, of course, they still haven't done it yet. The other 3 teams still alive all have a center in that aforementioned category).

There can be debate on whether Eichel is the "right" center for that (I don't see any reason why he couldn't be) but regardless, we need to upgrade down the middle.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
That’s fantasy talk for so many reasons.

Lundell is untouchable in Florida and Barkov signs an extension this summer

Based on waht facts or inside info do you know that Barkov will resign this summer!!?

Laine and Barkov are best friends and WANT to play togehter this is a FACT.

How do you know Florida would not considedr Lundell for Jones or Laine?

IMHO this will be a looooong rebuild for Columbus they need a cost controled nr 1C for as long as possible, since we have seen resigning players or UFA's is not that easy.

So either draft or trade for a 1c prospect. But trading for a nr 1C with 3-4 year contract does not give the franchise enough time to rebuild. Eichel has five years left before he is a UFA.

Go ahead trade for Nolan but he is damaged goods.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Our center corps is probably bottom-5 in the entire league right now. I have no idea how you can make that statement that we have good centers.

A few weeks ago I went back over Stanley Cup winners, seeing when the last team that had a mediocre 1C won the Cup. I got to the 95 Devils and then just stopped. Literally every Cup winner in the past 25+ years (possibly a lot longer than that, since I stopped checking) has had at least one center who either was/will be worthy of HOF debate and/or got 70+ points in the regular season the year his team won the Stanley Cup. It's possible that Montreal or Vegas wins it this year, and if they do, then they'd be the first since last century a Cup winner didn't have a center that fit at least one of those two aforementioned criteria (and, of course, they still haven't done it yet. The other 3 teams still alive all have a center in that aforementioned category).

There can be debate on whether Eichel is the "right" center for that (I don't see any reason why he couldn't be) but regardless, we need to upgrade down the middle.

We have good middle 6 centers, but they are only middle 6 centers. While I don't think PLD was the type of C you described in your post, he was low 1C/very high 2C. Losing him really dealt a blow to this franchise, but by the looks of it, he is having a rough time of it in Winnipeg, so maybe the CBJ dodged a bullet there. But if the FO hire Larsen, then you have use Jones to trade for a No. 1 potential C. Doesn't matter if you have great wingers, defense and goalies, if you don't have a solid center of the ice, you will go no where.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Why get Eichel though? We aren’t good enough to actually win a cup even with him.
This year and next year no, we aren't. But by the second half of his contract we should be.

Marchenko and Voronkov coming over. Hopefully Foudy/Bemstrom/Texier continue to develop into proper roles. Our picks from this year should be pushing for spots on the team in the next 2-3 seasons.

We very much should be back into contention for a perennial playoff team within 2-3 seasons if we do this right. Eichel, Laine and Werenski should all be in their primes in that time frame.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Now that the Jackets are likely to hire Larsen, not only do I not care about Jones' future, I'm not sure I care about the team's future at this point. Trade Jones, hell, trade them all at this point. Everyone say it with me now...REBUILD. This is a full-on five alarm rebuild. All the stuff talked about a "retool" is regurgitation. BARF. This is where this city is backwards. The fan base that should be bitching and complaining is the Jackets, not the Crew. Now I'm beginning to understand, as painful as it is, why no one wants to come to this franchise. It has nothing to do with the city, it is the organization.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Domi found himself in the second part of the season, Roslovic has progressed. Texier only learns to be NHL center. Besides we rebuild the team. And often strong wingers are more important. Look at Vegas. I doubt it's centers are extra but it has very good wingers, excelent d-men and goalie.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Based on waht facts or inside info do you know that Barkov will resign this summer!!?

Laine and Barkov are best friends and WANT to play togehter this is a FACT.

How do you know Florida would not considedr Lundell for Jones or Laine?

IMHO this will be a looooong rebuild for Columbus they need a cost controled nr 1C for as long as possible, since we have seen resigning players or UFA's is not that easy.

So either draft or trade for a 1c prospect. But trading for a nr 1C with 3-4 year contract does not give the franchise enough time to rebuild. Eichel has five years left before he is a UFA.

Go ahead trade for Nolan but he is damaged goods.

Barkov has never said a bad thing about Florida
Barkov has said he absolutely loved this season in Florida and has been praising the team throughout the year, you just see from everything he loves it in Florida with Zitos management.

Barkov is the C of the team and is not going to start their season with such a big question mark hanging around him affecting his teammates.

Getting Lundell under contract was a priority for Zito this summer, it wasn’t just to trade him.

Laine doesn’t hold Lundell value even right now and Jones is a bad fit with Florida.

You can bet Barkov can’t wait to mentor Lundell

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Domi found himself in the second part of the season, Roslovic has progressed. Texier only learns to be NHL center. Besides we rebuild the team. And often strong wingers are more important. Look at Vegas. I doubt it's centers are extra but it has very good wingers, excelent d-men and goalie.

They're all nice, skilled players. All three are the definition of inconsistent but when they're on their game, they're good.

None of them are 1C. Maybe, maybe Tex can get there, but seems optimistic to think so at best. I say this with no exaggeration, I don't think a team in the history of the NHL has won the Stanley Cup with a 1C at the level of (or worse than) Domi, Roz or Texier.*

We absolutely need to reinforce that position, whether via our first round pick this year, our first round pick next year, an eventual trade or any/all of the above.

*Obviously meaning relative to the era they played in, of course. All three would skate circles around any player from the 1950s.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
They're all nice, skilled players. All three are the definition of inconsistent but when they're on their game, they're good.

None of them are 1C. Maybe, maybe Tex can get there, but seems optimistic to think so at best. I say this with no exaggeration, I don't think a team in the history of the NHL has won the Stanley Cup with a 1C at the level of (or worse than) Domi, Roz or Texier.*

We absolutely need to reinforce that position, whether via our first round pick this year, our first round pick next year, an eventual trade or any/all of the above.

*Obviously meaning relative to the era they played in, of course. All three would skate circles around any player from the 1950s.
Show me the first line centers in Vegas or Montreal. Even Suzuki isn't it. But Edmonton has three, Toronto has Matthew (Tavares was injured) and in spite of it they don't continue in PO. I haven't written about draft only trades some of our players/picks for Eichel/Reinhart and similar. The hockey is changed. Any team can't win SC only with one line.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Show me the first line centers in Vegas or Montreal. Even Suzuki isn't it. But Edmonton has three, Toronto has Matthew (Tavares was injured) and in spite of it they don't continue in PO. I haven't written about draft only trades some of our players/picks for Eichel/Reinhart and similar. The hockey is changed. Any team can't win SC only with one line.

Edmonton and Toronto have the same problem. They lack toughness as a team. They have the skill to survive an 82 game regular season, but as soon as the playoffs hit and they face a bit of resistance they fold quicker than a wet house of cards.

Now Vegas and Montreal don't have out and out No. 1 Cs, but they have players who can masquerade as a No. 1. The CBJ has the with PLD

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Edmonton and Toronto have the same problem. They lack toughness as a team. They have the skill to survive an 82 game regular season, but as soon as the playoffs hit and they face a bit of resistance they fold quicker than a wet house of cards.

Now Vegas and Montreal don't have out and out No. 1 Cs, but they have players who can masquerade as a No. 1. The CBJ has the with PLD
I say about it, strong wingers, muscule, very good d-men and especialy a great goalie. But the first we must develop our players and then think about players who we need for PO.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Have Vegas or Montreal won the Cup yet? You keep pointing to them. You can literally go back at least 25 years (maybe more) and ZERO teams have won the Cup without a top-notch center. If either Vegas or Montreal do it, then congrats to them, they'll be the first this century.

Not to mention their top centers are still better than any of ours. Max Domi is not good enough to be a 1C on a Cup winning team. Roslovic is not good enough to be a 1C on a Cup winning team. PLD might've been, despite being a below average 1C, but he's not here anymore. We need to find one somewhere somehow.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Have Vegas or Montreal won the Cup yet? You keep pointing to them. You can literally go back at least 25 years (maybe more) and ZERO teams have won the Cup without a top-notch center. If either Vegas or Montreal do it, then congrats to them, they'll be the first this century.

Not to mention their top centers are still better than any of ours. Max Domi is not good enough to be a 1C on a Cup winning team. Roslovic is not good enough to be a 1C on a Cup winning team. PLD might've been, despite being a below average 1C, but he's not here anymore. We need to find one somewhere somehow.
PLD isn`t 1C.
O.K. Teams in TOP 4 - Tampa, Islanders, Montreal and... . Vegas was in the final of SC where it was defeated by Caps (salaries their players were still under salary cap similar like St. Louis before). And now... Tampa has Vasilevsky and thanks to Gaborik+Nilsson it can have around 18 millions over salary cap. Btw Carolina has J. Staal, Aho and Trochek. And it`s out from PO. So not only centers are important. And we want to rebuild the team not win SC in the next season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

In order to really compete for Cup a team needs a

1C
1D
Depth.

Canada division was very flawed this year so a ”weak” team was going to go through no matter what.

Vegas doesn’t have a real 1C which probably is why they’ve never won a Cup.

Stone is a winger but basically he’s a 1C, drives the play, elite defensively, elite offensively.
On top of it they have Pietrangelo and Theodore on the blueline

Reactions: 6zag

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We don't have elite wingers like any of those teams. We have good wingers, nowhere close to elite. Bjork is good, and maybe he becomes a PPG player, but he's not gonna win you a cup alone. When you just have good wingers and not elite PPG wingers, you need top line, elite centers.

Nobody on this team is close to being an elite PPG player. We will never win anything if we don't have a few elite scorers on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad