Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I read somewhere they want to LTIR him...I wouldn't waive if I were him

I don't get the game that assume a player will do a team a favor to waive and potentially leave. Especially when they'd be leaving a contender.

I didn't think EJ was really an LTIR candidate but I'd so oh well. They also have Timmons, graves, Nemeth etc that will be exposed as well that play regular roles.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Interesting Doug was saying Jones spends part of the offseason in LA.
I figured his connections to Dlass, Colorado and Nashville would be a draw from his past (and from all indications maybe not Nashville) but LA is interesting.

That is very interesting. Always thought LA made greats sense with their young centers but even more so hearing that.

Don’t think Byfield will be on the table but I’m guessing everyone else will be excluding vets like Kopitar and Doughty.

Think the starting point for an extended Jones would be Turcotte / Vilardi + 8th overall.

Reactions: Fro

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
That is very interesting. Always thought LA made greats sense with their young centers but even more so hearing that.

Don’t think Byfield will be on the table but I’m guessing everyone else will be excluding vets like Kopitar and Doughty.

Think the starting point for an extended Jones would be Turcotte / Vilardi + 8th overall.
Unsigned Turcotte + 8OA
Extended Tourcotte, 8OA, Roy, 2nd 2022

imo

Reactions: Toe Pick

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Unsigned Turcotte + 8OA
Extended Tourcotte, 8OA, Roy, 2nd 2022

imo

What comes to mind for a Seth Jones deal for me is what we spent to get Jeff Carter. I know center versus D but for me that is a good starting point -- at least for an extended Jones (since Carter had a ton of term on his deal).

As you know in that deal we gave up Voracek and the 7th overall. I think it's a given the 8th overall would be part of any package with LA. The question is what piece or pieces would equal a Voracek and how much Jarmo could drive up the price on top of that in a bidding war?

It all comes down to how confident the bidding team is that they'll get Jones on a long term deal. Confidence = more assets on the table. JD/Jarmo would be wise to let teams talk to Jones but I have a feeling they won't.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
What comes to mind for a Seth Jones deal for me is what we spent to get Jeff Carter. I know center versus D but for me that is a good starting point -- at least for an extended Jones (since Carter had a ton of term on his deal).

As you know in that deal we gave up Voracek and the 7th overall. I think it's a given the 8th overall would be part of any package with LA. The question is what piece or pieces would equal a Voracek and how much Jarmo could drive up the price on top of that in a bidding war?

It all comes down to how confident the bidding team is that they'll get Jones on a long term deal. Confidence = more assets on the table. JD/Jarmo would be wise to let teams talk to Jones but I have a feeling they won't.
Voracek was playing top 6 minutes by then and had some sort of NHL pedigree...Turcotte does not yet, so something would need to be added...

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Voracek was playing top 6 minutes by then and had some sort of NHL pedigree...Turcotte does not yet, so something would need to be added...

Yeah I'd agree with that. Voracek > Turcotte which means more would need added IF both parties were using that as a basis.

Then again maybe it's a Erik Karlsson or Brett Burns they'd look at for a basis since both are 1st pair D.

Wild traded Burns + 2nd round pick to the Sharks for Devin Setoguchi, Charlie Coyle, and a 2011 first round pick.

Ottawa traded Karsslon and forward prospect Francis Perron to the Sharks for Chris Tierney, Rudolfs Balcers, Dylan Demelo, and former Sharks draft pick Josh Norris, as well as a 2020 unprotected first-round pick.

I believe Karsslon was in the Jones situation of having a year left on his deal. Not sure about Burns.

I hope they stay away from the Ottawa deal as a basis with a whole lot of quantity versus quality -- although that unprotected first turned into a top 5 pick! I think they will as Jarmo has a history of going more for star player for star player. Ie. Jones for Johansen. Saad for Panarin. PLD for Laine.

Now I'm talking myself out of LA as a trade partner. Lol.

Reactions: Fro

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Seth Jones is overrated and I really hope they get rid of him sooner than later. Maximize value.
That's anger and disappointment talking. He's not overrated. He's a top pair RHD in his prime that had an awful year (like the rest of the team) and stats and analytics are only part of the story. He's not Jack Johnson and that's what it feels like so many are pushing to. He played a role, it was to allow more freedom for Werenski. He's going to be a stud in his next location and that simply sucks for us.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Kevin Allen, formerly of USA Today, now of Detroit Now is reporting a rumor of Seth Jones to Colorado for a package including Nazem Kadri and speculates either Samuel Girard or Devon Toews.
Good god I hope not. I like Girard but I'm not a big Kadri fan - not to mention he's only got one year left and never plays in the playoffs, which I guess is OK since it's unlikely we're there next year. No issue with Girard as part of the deal but I think they can do better than that deal as proposed.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Fro

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Zero chance the avalanche can afford him. Grubauer is UFA. Makar will and should earn more than Jones. Landeskog is a UFA that they need to resign.

That deal could maybe find a way to squeeze under the cap this coming season but I doubt the could afford his next deal.
They can bridge Makar if they want to make it work and they could also submit a hardship waiver for EJ to be exempt from the expansion draft. His career could actually be over. that opens top 4 RHD of Makar and Jones. Avs can manage this. Hell if Tampa could get by without losing anyone this year, the Avs have a cake walk.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I've seen several suggestions of a sign and trade. This implies he's not moved before the expansion draft. I've thought that he's a chip you might move before the expansion draft if you can get a player back that would otherwise be exposed along with other good pieces. LA makes a lot of sense in this case as I'm not sure they have a ton of options to protect on defense. Beyond Doughty I would think Walker(?) and maybe Roy(?). All three happen to be RHD so you could send one back and add forwards to the bounty. Makes a ton of sense.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I've seen several suggestions of a sign and trade. This implies he's not moved before the expansion draft. I've thought that he's a chip you might move before the expansion draft if you can get a player back that would otherwise be exposed along with other good pieces. LA makes a lot of sense in this case as I'm not sure they have a ton of options to protect on defense. Beyond Doughty I would think Walker(?) and maybe Roy(?). All three happen to be RHD so you could send one back and add forwards to the bounty. Makes a ton of sense.
By trading him before the ED you take away a little value because then he's a player they have to use a protection spot on and potentially expose another player in a different position. Unless you're trading him for another rostered NHL dman. I would imagine there's very few teams who would want to do it before hand

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This is rich Dougie Mac taking shots at JD , being a genius for everywhere he goes it’s a 5 yr contract to rebuild , and then laments the fans of Columbus deserve better . Thanks Doug, we have had little success because how our franchise was initially set up , and it’s been digging out of that dysfunction steadily since then . Rant over … anyway they think La will be the team that goes all in on Jones.. Chicago as well … and watch Colorado, they could view him as missing piece .

I didn't follow the CBJ when he was involved so I don't have the animus most have toward him. Not saying it's not deserved. However.............................

He is 100% spot on about JD. He's a salesman/con man at his core. Rebuild, retool, brick-by brick, put on the hard hats and other cliched drivel. Two flipping series playoff victories in 15 years as a Team President. That cannot be gotten around. 4 Team Prez (if the 4 remaining teams all have them) have matched his career output in one stinking season. This year.

He's played the same 5 year plan or its equivalent game 4 times now. Twice in Columbus. He's about as hard to see through as a pane of glass.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
They can bridge Makar if they want to make it work and they could also submit a hardship waiver for EJ to be exempt from the expansion draft. His career could actually be over. that opens top 4 RHD of Makar and Jones. Avs can manage this. Hell if Tampa could get by without losing anyone this year, the Avs have a cake walk.
I find it hard to believe that they would drop a hammer on Makar. Their GM isn’t Jarmo and he’ll get a better deal than Thomas Chabot. They were discussing this on Sirius this week and were thinking an 8x8 deal.

Reactions: CPTN71

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I didn't follow the CBJ when he was involved so I don't have the animus most have toward him. Not saying it's not deserved. However.............................

He is 100% spot on about JD. He's a salesman/con man at his core. Rebuild, retool, brick-by brick, put on the hard hats and other cliched drivel. Two flipping series playoff victories in 15 years as a Team President. That cannot be gotten around. 4 Team Prez (if the 4 remaining teams all have them) have matched his career output in one stinking season. This year.

He's played the same 5 year plan or its equivalent game 4 times now. Twice in Columbus. He's about as hard to see through as a pane of glass.

I've heard that conmen can spot each other in public. Maybe Doug is just jealous that JD is a much better salesman than him (and has made a shit load more money doing it)?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've heard that conmen can spot each other in public. Maybe Doug is just jealous that JD is a much better salesman than him (and has made a shit load more money doing it)?
Like this?

upload_2021-6-12_20-12-9.gif

Reactions: cslebn and Jovavic

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I'm not kidding-I sensed some jealousy/bitterness in his comments but more importantly in his tone and facial expressions during the interview.

JD has carved out a very lucrative post playing career between his broadcasting and Team President gigs. He's probably earned 5-10 times what DM has made over the past 15 years.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Well, of cause Seth Jones will explore free agency, that is good business for Jones.
That is what ever he would stay or not.

Seth Jones is a very good player, but he was showing a lot of weakness over this past season, and from what I saw of world CUP games as well.

So His trade value has not grown over the season, even they should still be pretty high.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I find it hard to believe that they would drop a hammer on Makar. Their GM isn’t Jarmo and he’ll get a better deal than Thomas Chabot. They were discussing this on Sirius this week and were thinking an 8x8 deal.
Most of the reports I've heard and read indicate just that. Bridge him to get through the Cap crunch and flat cap and then pay him. Chabot deal was just dumb

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
By trading him before the ED you take away a little value because then he's a player they have to use a protection spot on and potentially expose another player in a different position. Unless you're trading him for another rostered NHL dman. I would imagine there's very few teams who would want to do it before hand
Unless you're trading him after the entry draft to allow free agency to kick in, there's no reason not to. Teams may want to use 2021 draft capital at which point its too late if you wait until the 28th. Again, a team like LA can move a protected player in the deal, some have spots that could be used. Not saying it will happen but I think it does

Reactions: CBJx614

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
Sakic may have to play some hardball because of their cap (though Makar will blow away an 8x8 on his next contract if he signs a bridge first). Other GMs don't always sign their players so easily. Barzal took until January of this year to resign. Jarmo has earned his reputation but Jarmo didn't drop any hammer the first time with Seth either and he signed a pretty good 6 year deal.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Sakic may have to play some hardball because of their cap (though Makar will blow away an 8x8 on his next contract if he signs a bridge first). Other GMs don't always sign their players so easily. Barzal took until January of this year to resign. Jarmo has earned his reputation but Jarmo didn't drop any hammer the first time with Seth either and he signed a pretty good 6 year deal.
Depends if they can talk him into the MacKinnon discount or not.

Must be nice to have players take discounts to stay on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->