Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Nothing. I wouldn't go above a late 1st.
I think it’s the perfect return for Philly when you consider this kid changed agents to demand a trade and has now went public . He doesn’t like the coach , underperformed this past year , yet you can wash your hands knowing you still got a first round pick . From our standpoint , the reward is totally worth the risk , and since we have 3 picks , why not take that shot .

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think it’s the perfect return for Philly when you consider this kid changed agents to demand a trade and has now went public . He doesn’t like the coach , underperformed this past year , yet you can wash your hands knowing you still got a first round pick . From our standpoint , the reward is totally worth the risk , and since we have 3 picks , why not take that shot .

And why wouldn’t Minnesota with two first round picks decide to make a slightly better offer that the CBJ? They could use a center. (They have Pittsburgh’s first from that Zucker-Galchenyuk trade.). Seems like they could handle a reclamation project with their vets. Plus it is a trade to the Western conference for Philly.

Maybe the Oilers see him as a more immediate contributor than what they could draft this year. Maybe they take the risk with their first.

I don’t think we are the only team that would step up if Philly is only asking for a 2021 first.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
And why wouldn’t Minnesota with two first round picks decide to make a slightly better offer that the CBJ? They could use a center. (They have Pittsburgh’s first from that Zucker-Galchenyuk trade.). Seems like they could handle a reclamation project with their vets. Plus it is a trade to the Western conference for Philly.

Maybe the Oilers see him as a more immediate contributor than what they could draft this year. Maybe they take the risk with their first.

I don’t think we are the only team that would step up if Philly is only asking for a 2021 first.
So we don’t end up being the team overpaying for Nolan friggin hasn’t shown a damn thing Patrick? Perfect!

seriously, and we’ve got people on here thinking we need and should add??? :facepalm:

Reactions: LJ7201 and Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If we're going for a deep rebuild then I'd be fine with a retained Jenner for Patrick type trade. But the rest isn't worth Jones. We'll get better stand alone offers than Frost + mid-late 1st.

I am setting my expectations for the Jones as a really good prospect (better than Frost) and something else of value (good prospect, good young player, late first - so Frost). The question is what is the value of obtaining Nolan Patrick. I think people on this board are underestimating his value. Philadelphia is frustrated with him, but they don’t want to move him. They might do nothing. If he wants to run off to the KHL, let him. They might see what the best offer is. I doubt the best offer will be one of our late firsts. What do Jarmo and JD think of Patrick? The CBJ seem to like reclamation projects - Gagner, Duclair, Grigs. I am not advocating for a Jones / Jenner to Philly trade. But I could see it being method to get a return of Patrick and more.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So we don’t end up being the team overpaying for Nolan friggin hasn’t shown a damn thing Patrick? Perfect!

seriously, and we’ve got people on here thinking we need and should add??? :facepalm:

I am in no way advocating for trading for Patrick. I think it would be a mistake. I am just saying if you want him, he is going to cost more than a late first.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

There are going to be some good future pros available at 25, 30, or wherever our picks will be. If players like Svechkov, Othmann, Rosen, and Morrow are available in those spots, it is a lot to give up. I'm not saying I know whether the trade would be worth it or not, our scouts would have to figure that out. It's not a no-brainer.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Remind me why we're looking to trade Jenner? I mean it can't be a team with no heart, no grit and Boone is captain material. Re-sign him not ship him off.

Who cares about winning hockey games, we want to be ENTERTAINED!!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
To maximize the return for Jones it needs to be to a team he wants to stay with (again I'm sure he has a list of 4-6 teams). I wouldn't worry about avail cap space if we want a big return we need to take back a bad contract. Then hopefully get 2-3 big pieces (top level prospects or picks).
Based on the list above (teams with cap space) I don't think any of those teams would be of particular interest to Jones.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Who cares about winning hockey games, we want to be ENTERTAINED!!
I prefer both myself. :D However, we've seen what happens when you strip all leadership, experience and locker room presence. Just look at Buffalo, Detroit and NJ to name a few, maybe even Edmonton and Toronto (while playoff bound, they don't appear to be any better after huge lottery wins and taking it down to the dirt). They stripped it down, went full on tank for a period and it's taken longer than they would have hoped to show progress. Edmonton and Toronto have been much like Columbus was the 4 prior years - make the playoffs and that's it, only Edmonton and Toronto have elite talent but no supporting cast. Columbus had depth (supporting cast) but lacked elite talent. As to the other three I mentioned (and others I'm sure), I'm not sure their prospects or young players can get them where they need to go without a change to the core. Ottawa will be an interesting case study to see if they get it right. They brought in some leadership without selling their prospects or high end draft picks.

Point is, someone (more than one) needs to help lead the way and set the example. Boone, to me, is one of those guys. He's eligible to be re-signed this Summer and I, for one, would like to see him extended. Give him the C, he's earned and it it's been talked about since he was drafted.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't have a problem with Boone as captain but I'd hope we don't give him a big long term deal. Something like $3m x 3 makes sense and that's factoring in the intangibles. I don't think he has the legs to be the big minutes shutdown guy he's often billed as.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I don't have a problem with Boone as captain but I'd hope we don't give him a big long term deal. Something like $3m x 3 makes sense and that's factoring in the intangibles. I don't think he has the legs to be the big minutes shutdown guy he's often billed as.

The problem with Boone is does he want to stay for a rebuild?

If he does want to stay, he’ll be 29 when the next contract starts. He is currently on a 4 year $15 million contract. I agree that a 3 x $3 mill contract is about what he is worth. So that means he takes a pay cut. Does he want to take a pay cut to stay in Columbus for a rebuild?

Maybe he wants to pick his situation and sign something like 2 x $2.5 to chase a Cup. Me at that age if I had a few million in the bank and was single? I’d be chasing a Cup.

So, trade him now or trade him at the deadline?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The problem with Boone is does he want to stay for a rebuild?

If he does want to stay, he’ll be 29 when the next contract starts. He is currently on a 4 year $15 million contract. I agree that a 3 x $3 mill contract is about what he is worth. So that means he takes a pay cut. Does he want to take a pay cut to stay in Columbus for a rebuild?

Maybe he wants to pick his situation and sign something like 2 x $2.5 to chase a Cup. Me at that age if I had a few million in the bank and was single? I’d be chasing a Cup.

So, trade him now or trade him at the deadline?

If he's not staying, I don't think we get a better return this summer, unless he's wanted as part of a bigger trade. He's more of a deadline playoff rental.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Attachments

• Snapchat-990444613.jpg
    Snapchat-990444613.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Fred Glover

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
We're all going to be real disappointed when it turns out Jones really does want to get to UFA and we can't unload him for the haul we all thought we would.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We're all going to be real disappointed when it turns out Jones really does want to get to UFA and we can't unload him for the haul we all thought we would.
I don’t believe anyone who says they want to actually be a free agent.

In reality they just want out of where they are and aren’t man enough to admit it. I can almost guarantee if he gets traded to a cup contender he’d be willing to negotiate with them.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

In reality they just want out of where they are and aren’t man enough to admit it. I can almost guarantee if he gets traded to a cup contender he’d be willing to negotiate with them.

I'm just sayin: anyone who banks on the best possible outcome from a Seth Jones trade needs to reflect on the multiple kicks to the crotch this team and fanbase has endured for nigh-on two decades now.

I consider it a reasonable possibility that Jones gets hit by falling space debris that keeps him out of next season until one day after the trade d/l.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I would want to. I would want to be wined and dined and offered obscene sums of money. I might have preferred destinations, but I want to know my options. I also might be willing to bet on myself and sign shorter contracts hoping for another potential payday. Like if I am 26, sign 3 years for $10 mill instead 7 x $8, and then hope I can sign 3 x $9 or more three years later. And then see what I could get at 32.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would want to. I would want to be wined and dined and offered obscene sums of money. I might have preferred destinations, but I want to know my options. I also might be willing to bet on myself and sign shorter contracts hoping for another potential payday. Like if I am 26, sign 3 years for $10 mill instead 7 x $8, and then hope I can sign 3 x $9 or more three years later. And then see what I could get at 32.

See I would pay about two million dollars just not to have to answer all those constant annoying questions - "do you like it here?" "are you going to stay here?" "why don't you like this or that thing?"

And I don't want to risk looking for big money at 32.

Reactions: CPTN71 and koteka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad