Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I would want to. I would want to be wined and dined and offered obscene sums of money. I might have preferred destinations, but I want to know my options. I also might be willing to bet on myself and sign shorter contracts hoping for another potential payday. Like if I am 26, sign 3 years for $10 mill instead 7 x $8, and then hope I can sign 3 x $9 or more three years later. And then see what I could get at 32.
If you are all about the money sure, but you also said you might have preferred destinations. Would you actually sign somewhere that you didn't want to be if they offered more money than someplace you did prefer or would you just use them for the attention?

There is a reason very few top players ever get to UFA status.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If you are all about the money sure, but you also said you might have preferred destinations. Would you actually sign somewhere that you didn't want to be if they offered more money than someplace you did prefer or would you just use them for the attention?

There is a reason very few top players ever get to UFA status.

I would want to know what the options are. I like mountains. The Avalanche might be my first choice based on that. But what would I do if the Canucks offered me way more than Colorado? I could be happy there. Or Boston - have an apartment in the city and a place in New Hampshire. Or Vegas. I went skiing at Mt Charleston while in Vegas once. Or now Seattle is an option. Heck, how much is a helicopter ride from Columbus to West Virginia? For a million and a half more per year, I could have mountains when I wanted them. Now, if the best offer was from a dumpster fire of an organization, I might say no. But I still want to know the options.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
See I would pay about two million dollars just not to have to answer all those constant annoying questions - "do you like it here?" "are you going to stay here?" "why don't you like this or that thing?"

That is a good point. If reporters constantly asked me questions about my future plans I would employ a strategy like just citing the part of the collective bargaining agreement that deals with free agency and telling them to call the union or the league office if they have any questions. I’d become a boring interview on that topic really quickly. They’d be begging me to say “we need uhhh to keep it simple and to uhhh get pucks in deep and win uhhh the battles in the uhhh corners.”

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I would want to know what the options are. I like mountains. The Avalanche might be my first choice based on that. But what would I do if the Canucks offered me way more than Colorado? I could be happy there. Or Boston - have an apartment in the city and a place in New Hampshire. Or Vegas. I went skiing at Mt Charleston while in Vegas once. Or now Seattle is an option. Heck, how much is a helicopter ride from Columbus to West Virginia? For a million and a half more per year, I could have mountains when I wanted them. Now, if the best offer was from a dumpster fire of an organization, I might say no. But I still want to know the options.
So yes, Money is your deciding factor above all other options.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So yes, Money is your deciding factor above all other options.

In a simple scenario yes. In real life, potential line mates, direction the team is heading, style of play, do I have guys I like on the team, etc. come into play. There are cities I might avoid, like Winnipeg or Calgary. I don’t know that I would like the media scrutiny of Toronto or the Rangers. Arizona seems to have major problems (Chayka, Mitchell Miller) that would give me pause. My choice would be much more complex. Money and feeling respected would be a big part of it.

A mentor once said to me that all the old timers in an organization will always see you as the level that you were hired in at, and sometimes you need to change jobs so you come in at a higher level and people treat you differently. If I were a 4th round draft pick, would people in the organization always see me as a 4th round draft pick that they discovered and treat me like I should be grateful I have a job? Maybe a new organization would see me as their great free agent signing that put them over the top. And treat me as such.

The whole situation is complex. I think I’d like to try free agency if I were a professional athlete.

Reactions: thebus88

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I'd take less for the right situation...whether it's the chance to be a part of something special and go on a run as a piece of a team loaded with stars (like Colorado or Tampa)...take less to keep pieces together if I can make it up in endorsements somewhere

Other than that...pay dis may-an hess moan-ey

Reactions: Monk

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
In a simple scenario yes. In real life, potential line mates, direction the team is heading, style of play, do I have guys I like on the team, etc. come into play. There are cities I might avoid, like Winnipeg or Calgary. I don’t know that I would like the media scrutiny of Toronto or the Rangers. Arizona seems to have major problems (Chayka, Mitchell Miller) that would give me pause. My choice would be much more complex. Money and feeling respected would be a big part of it.

A mentor once said to me that all the old timers in an organization will always see you as the level that you were hired in at, and sometimes you need to change jobs so you come in at a higher level and people treat you differently. If I were a 4th round draft pick, would people in the organization always see me as a 4th round draft pick that they discovered and treat me like I should be grateful I have a job? Maybe a new organization would see me as their great free agent signing that put them over the top. And treat me as such.

The whole situation is complex. I think I’d like to try free agency if I were a professional athlete.
It’s a fair enough point and would be your right.

But I believe most players and agents know exactly what they want which is why so few high end players ever go to UFA. If Seth decides to be a real jerk about it he won’t say where he prefers but I can almost guarantee he has a pretty good idea and if that team also wants him they’ll be willing to pay to get him.

UFA deals aren’t going to be huge over the next few years due to the flat cap. If he wants paid it is pretty safe to say that team is going to have to unload to afford him.

If where he wants to go can’t afford him or isn’t willing to pay a lot for him he’ll be the one SOL.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If where he wants to go can’t afford him or isn’t willing to pay a lot for him he’ll be the one SOL.

Two things:
Agents will know if a teams wants them. We all know it's tampering, but the agents know and unless their is a management/ownership change they will know if a team is interested.
Affording them may take some moves - like the CBJ essentially dumping quality guys this past offseason to potentially match an offer sheet (AKA saving the owners money). So if a team wants Seth they can always make room, they may have to give away or even pay someone to take another contract (some of the moves at the TDL when teams took on part of a contract in order to get a mid round pick).

My thing with Seth is he has lived in a lot of great areas (Texas, Colorado growing up, started in Nashville) so he likely has an idea of where he wants to be.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Two things:
Agents will know if a teams wants them. We all know it's tampering, but the agents know and unless their is a management/ownership change they will know if a team is interested.
Affording them may take some moves - like the CBJ essentially dumping quality guys this past offseason to potentially match an offer sheet (AKA saving the owners money). So if a team wants Seth they can always make room, they may have to give away or even pay someone to take another contract (some of the moves at the TDL when teams took on part of a contract in order to get a mid round pick).

My thing with Seth is he has lived in a lot of great areas (Texas, Colorado growing up, started in Nashville) so he likely has an idea of where he wants to be.
This is all true and I don't know that any of those teams actually need him and would be willing to spend for him. However, for the reasons you listed, that is why it makes sense for such a team to do a trade with the CBJ to move assets back to us versus giving them elsewhere to make room. If they want him bad enough we can certainly take some salary in return along with some prospects in return for the exclusive ability to negotiate the long term contract with them. The only way the CBJ really lose out is if he is really adamant that he wants to go UFA, then we are SOL on trade returns.

Reactions: LJ7201 and CPTN71

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This is all true and I don't know that any of those teams actually need him and would be willing to spend for him. However, for the reasons you listed, that is why it makes sense for such a team to do a trade with the CBJ to move assets back to us versus giving them elsewhere to make room. If they want him bad enough we can certainly take some salary in return along with some prospects in return for the exclusive ability to negotiate the long term contract with them. The only way the CBJ really lose out is if he is really adamant that he wants to go UFA, then we are SOL on trade returns.
I agree 100%.
And I don't think Jones will hold us hostage. I think he will give a list to ownership of a couple teams.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I would want to. I would want to be wined and dined and offered obscene sums of money. I might have preferred destinations, but I want to know my options. I also might be willing to bet on myself and sign shorter contracts hoping for another potential payday. Like if I am 26, sign 3 years for $10 mill instead 7 x $8, and then hope I can sign 3 x $9 or more three years later. And then see what I could get at 32.

I've enjoyed your perspective on free agency.

If someone waived a guaranteed (assuming significant signing bonus monies) $56 million at me, it would be awful hard from me to gamble that my value would go up when I could have insane money right now. Injuries, severe macroeconomic downturn, etc can all happen. I think the (possible ) discount for longer term is well worth it in a profession with as many inherent risks as athletics. I think most agents would probably concur-fee implications aside.

One in hand vs. two in the bush as they say. Whoever they are.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I've enjoyed your perspective on free agency.

If someone waived a guaranteed (assuming significant signing bonus monies) $56 million at me, it would be awful hard from me to gamble that my value would go up when I could have insane money right now. Injuries, severe macroeconomic downturn, etc can all happen. I think the (possible ) discount for longer term is well worth it in a profession with as many inherent risks as athletics. I think most agents would probably concur-fee implications aside.

One in hand vs. two in the bush as they say. Whoever they are.

If I were Ryan Murray, I might take the long contract. If I were Joe Thornton I might have gone with shorter. Someone in between really would have to think about what is best for them.

In my own career I like the people I work with and the stability, so I stay at my current job even though I could make more elsewhere. I am at a spin-off, and I am an OG because I was an employee before the spin-off. I was able to build my own team once we became our own entity. So I like my set up.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
If I were Ryan Murray, I might take the long contract. If I were Joe Thornton I might have gone with shorter. Someone in between really would have to think about what is best for them.

In my own career I like the people I work with and the stability, so I stay at my current job even though I could make more elsewhere. I am at a spin-off, and I am an OG because I was an employee before the spin-off. I was able to build my own team once we became our own entity. So I like my set up.

factors like where you are in your career really matter too. Are you chasing security (which can be multiple things) or is it championships or stability with a family?

look at Hossa who spent a couple years chasing a cup before settling down.

Reactions: koteka

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I agree 100%.
And I don't think Jones will hold us hostage. I think he will give a list to ownership of a couple teams.

If it only a couple of teams then you are being held hostage. I expect a deal filled more with 2nd tier prospects and picks that are more likely to be at the end of a round but not sure they have leverage to demand much more.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If it only a couple of teams then you are being held hostage. I expect a deal filled more with 2nd tier prospects and picks that are more likely to be at the end of a round but not sure they have leverage to demand much more.

But on other end if he gives a list of 20 teams (essentially just saying these 10 or so teams I have no interest in) then to me that would say he does truly want to be a free agent and it lowers his value. If that is the case we may be best off holding him until the deadline and trading him to a team making a run.
Again pure speculation on my end but I'm guessing he has in his mind 3-5 teams he would like to sign with on/before the 2022 season. Those are the teams that would give up the most for him now.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Every time I read the title of this thread, my answer is I don't care anymore. I don't care what his future is any more, I just know it won't be in Columbus and that just makes me angry. At this point, just get it done and move on. I appreciate that he at least let the club know early enough that they can at least get some value for him. It would be even better if he told the club where he will sign, so JD/Jarmo could act accordingly.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I also find it difficult to spend much time worrying about Seth’s future. I just hope he is decent enough to give us an opportunity to maximize his trade value.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

I think this is the right way to look at it.

For this to work out well for the team , it has to be sign-and-trade and it has to be with the team that's willing to give us best return among all bidders, not just the 3 or 5 hand-picked teams he wants to play for, some of whom may have minimal interest in acquiring him in the first place. The three places that are often listed as likely targets (COL, DAL and NSH - and I know those are purely speculative based on guesswork) are among the teams to least need him. I'm not even sure EDM would be among the most motivated given the emergence of Nurse and finally having some cap clearance to go get better on the wing.

• What are the odds his list includes the "right" teams that have both assets and interest/need?
  • What if his list is X number of teams he's equally interested in and he wants to go to the team that will give him the best contract? Is he even allowed to negotiate with other teams for a contract while he's still technically our player?
  • What if he thinks his current value is depressed due to a bad year, so he wants to play next year without a new contract in place so he can ask for more when his contract is up?
There's a Goldilocks-zone of optimum conditions, and it's likely that least one thing doesn't line up for the optimal outcome as far as the CBJ are concerned.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So I think that although many of us despise the Vegas Knights, we should really be rooting for them to beat Colorado and advance. For 2 reasons... first of all, there would be a fallout that could possibly see Bednar fired, if so the jackets should hire him immediately. Second, this is a natural destination for Seth, and if they get put out of the playoffs, changes are usually made. May set up well for us if Vegas wins.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So I think that although many of us despise the Vegas Knights, we should really be rooting for them to beat Colorado and advance. For 2 reasons... first of all, there would be a fallout that could possibly see Bednar fired, if so the jackets should hire him immediately. Second, this is a natural destination for Seth, and if they get put out of the playoffs, changes are usually made. May set up well for us if Vegas wins.
Colorado has got some things to work out financially. Landeskog needs resigned and Makar is RFA. That is a lot of money to shell out if they stay and that is even before sniffing taking on a Jones salary.

Reactions: AmishLandJackets

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Is it possible we make this a 3 way with Buffalo? Jones to LA, picks/prospects to Buffalo, Eichel to Columbus?
Examples of Edmonton and Toronto don`t teach anyone. When Scheifele was disqualified Winnipeg was out. Montreal has Suzuki, Danault, Kotkaniemi, E. Staal, Vegas has Karlsson, Stephenson, Roy. But they have very good defense and especially goalies. We don`t need 1C we have good centers IMHO we should take a good d-man and work with our young players. Let's learn from the mistakes we made, let's build a team gradually, step by step and not big trades/signs.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Stay away from Eichel! Very talented player but what a diva! Same zoolander antics as Scheiffele has in winnipeg.

Jones for Lundell IMHO is what kind of future 1C this team needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad