Confirmed with Link: Seth Jones, a late 1st, and a 6th for Boqvist, 2 1sts, and a 2nd, and Jones gets a massive extension

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
He's be great but we need to get him the ideal partner. One that's very good defensively and with gaps and also isn't completely incapable with the puck on his stick.

Actually I think down the line Ethan Del Mastro is going to be great with him, but he needs to get here.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He's be great but we need to get him the ideal partner. One that's very good defensively and with gaps and also isn't completely incapable with the puck on his stick.

Actually I think down the line Ethan Del Mastro is going to be great with him, but he needs to get here.

Yup. I can’t believe Murphy and McCabe have been this lackluster. I figured at least one of them would’ve picked up the slack that the rest of our depth chart drag us down with

Reactions: Muffinalt

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
that simple huh
I mean its not that simple, no. My point in that I didn't like the trade when it happened and I don't like it now and its not because I am a Seth Jones hater. Its because we weren't in position to make the move we made.

None of the "assets" will ever be even remotely close to the player Seth Jones is. You want a #1D you have to give something up. Continuing to complain about this trade is just dumb.

Hockey is a team game, and you never know what 9.5 million dollars, two high first round picks, a former top 10 pick will end up becoming, either. When you're trying to rebuild a hockey team you need as many cracks at the all star player lottery that you get. Not giving up that many assets and 12.67% of your salary cap to one player who isn't going to change your entire team.

Again, thats my opinion about the deal. Seth Jones has brought a lot to this team and I like his contributions so far. I just vehemently disagree with how we acquired him, and how much money and assets we did to do it.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Yup. I can’t believe Murphy and McCabe have been this lackluster. I figured at least one of them would’ve picked up the slack that the rest of our depth chart drag us down with

It strange yeah, especially with Murphy. His bad form everywhere is not something our core could handle and pretty uncharacteristic. He's about the last guy I thought would struggle. He was fine in transition for a SHD though last year so if he bounces back I think he'd be great behind Jones, with someone who can provide offense next to him.

McCabe though well yeah I don't know what's happening on the D side with him. Although improving some. But his zero puck play is gonna mean he's probably ideally anchoring our third pair. Which we could do cheaper.

Let's hope they improve.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
If dach and toews werent both having massively underperforming seasons theyd probably be a playoff team right now. Even taking into account their horrid start and lack of a productive top 6 center, they are still only 6 pts out. If Dach and or Toews gets his shit together, they could easily still make the post season.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I disagree with the Hamilton discussion. Anyone who thinks that Jones' defense needs improvement does not want Hamilton on the team.

Reactions: Giovi

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Eh, he's been great, IMO back to the type of form/play of the guy who was exciting to watch on the Preds or in the playoffs with Columbus.

At the same time, the timing as it is kind of sucks which many felt at the time of the trade, we really need better pieces in the top 6 to be any kind of threat.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You sure have done a 180 since before the trade was announced.

The trade is over and done with. He's on the Hawks and is playing really well. He's one of the few bright spots on this dog shit team. What's the point of continuing to bitch about the trade? Doesn't it get old? I mean, people are still bitching about the Panarin trade, how many years later?

I didn't want the Hawks to do it, but they did. What's done is done. Move on.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The trade is over and done with. He's on the Hawks and is playing really well. He's one of the few bright spots on this dog shit team. What's the point of continuing to bitch about the trade? Doesn't it get old? I mean, people are still bitching about the Panarin trade, how many years later?

I didn't want the Hawks to do it, but they did. What's done is done. Move on.
Completely agree. But I'm not going to all of the sudden agree with the trade because what's done is done. I won't sit here and bitch about it constantly, but im not going to be happy with it, either.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Completely agree. But I'm not going to all of the sudden agree with the trade because what's done is done. I won't sit here and bitch about it constantly, but im not going to be happy with it, either.

Who is agreeing with the trade? You can't even fully judge the f***ing trade right now, because the Hawks gave up futures, and what those futures turn into, nobody will know for a few years... Its just dumb.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Who is agreeing with the trade? You can't even fully judge the f***ing trade right now, because the Hawks gave up futures, and what those futures turn into, nobody will know for a few years... Its just dumb.
Maybe I just misunderstood your position with your comment on the previous page.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
You sure have done a 180 since before the trade was announced.
Opinions are supposed to change. I honestly can’t stand how many people here pick a lane and then try to force the context to fit their agenda.

I hated the trade at the time but Seth Jones is an objectively good hockey player and a number 1 defensman. Only time will tell if the futures would have been the better play.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Opinions are supposed to change. I honestly can’t stand how many people here pick a lane and then try to force the context to fit their agenda.

I hated the trade at the time but Seth Jones is an objectively good hockey player and a number 1 defensman. Only time will tell if the futures would have been the better play.

Good post and Amen to the bolded.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Not only that, but you can't even really add Sillinger and whoever the Jackets pick this year to that list because we don't know if the Hawks would have had that guy at the top of their draft board.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
I agree that the timing of signing SJ reeks of desperation and last grasp of a club on the edge but I still think SJ is better that Boqvist and a 1st. (Sillinger and Allen doesn't move the needle to me).

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
So upset over having a simple conversation about the trade. Its not like I am sitting here f***ing bashing it for months on end or talking about it in every f***ing GDT.

Its all hypotheticals and thats the point of talking about hockey on a message board.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So upset over having a simple conversation about the trade. Its not like I am sitting here f***ing bashing it for months on end or talking about it in every f***ing GDT.

Its all hypotheticals and thats the point of talking about hockey on a message board.
I think the trade was dumb but it's not worth complaining about for the next decade.

Bowman bet on Toews returning to 60 pts and Dach taking a step forward. Neither happened.

Seth Jones is a great defenseman but idk what good that does because the roster around him is garbage.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
28.6% shooting
:eek:

I'm not saying he'll slow down but...
Boqvist is obviously not going to shoot 30% but he does have an elite shot for a defenseman.

This looks like a repeat of the Chris Sale deal where both sides get exactly what they wanted. The Hawks get a #1D in his prime and the Jackets got 2-3 building blocks for a rebuild.

(Waiting for BWC to come here and bash the Sale trade)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Boqvist scored his 5th and 6th goals of the season last night in just 16 games for the Jackets.

Lol. Posting this without context is dumb. He has a 29% shooting percentage... You expect that to stay there?

The best shooters/goal scorers in the NHL are regularly 15-19% on a season.
This is 100% going to regress for Boqvist.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Lol. Posting this without context is dumb. He has a 29% shooting percentage... You expect that to stay there?

The best shooters/goal scorers in the NHL are regularly 15-19% on a season.
This is 100% going to regress for Boqvist.
Boqvist has a great shot for a defenseman.
I expect him to regress to the 14-16% range.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Boqvist has a great shot for a defenseman.
I expect him to regress to the 14-16% range.

You're on drugs. I don't care how good his shot is. Over the last 5 seasons, not a single D has cracked 10% SH%. And I didn't bother going back longer than that. He's not going to regress to a top 10 SH% in the NHL... he MIGHT keep it above 10%, only because he has it so high, currently. I wouldn't be shocked to see him drop below 10%, though.

For reference, Cat has a career 16% SH%, and is one of the best goal scorers in the NHL.

Boqvist has 21 shots... in 16gp. Lol. The only way he keeps his SH% that high is if he continues at that horrid shooting pace. At his current pace, if maintained, he would finish with roughly 100 shots in a full 82 game season, and have almost 30 goals. Even if he regresses to around 16%, he would finish with around 16 or 17 goals on 100 shots? Yeah... not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00