Confirmed with Link: Seth Jones, a late 1st, and a 6th for Boqvist, 2 1sts, and a 2nd, and Jones gets a massive extension

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I'm guessing Murphy is trade bait. The only reason I can think of for so many players looking worse than expected is conditioning or something off-ice. They all didn't forget how to play hockey in the offseason. I can't recall who Eddie and Pat said scored high on the fitness evaluation--they were talking about it on one of the few telecasts they did early in the year. It's like they knew that would come into play this season. They named about the top five scorers on that evaluation.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm guessing Murphy is trade bait. The only reason I can think of for so many players looking worse than expected is conditioning or something off-ice. They all didn't forget how to play hockey in the offseason. I can't recall who Eddie and Pat said scored high on the fitness evaluation--they were talking about it on one of the few telecasts they did early in the year. It's like they knew that would come into play this season. They named about the top five scorers on that evaluation.
Murphy has always been average or below average. He did bring a physical element that was badly needed and he was younger than a battle-weary Hammer but there is no surprise here. He was overrated by Hawks fans from day 1. I think mostly to make an excuse for Stan getting fleeced once again in the one-for-one swap.
As for trade bait: good luck with that.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
You don't think he'll bring ANY interest? I'm not expecting anything to celebrate; just clear space for someone else since they have a few younger players who could take his minutes.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I've maintained that this team is poorly conditioned for YEARS. I still stand by that assessment. They've been running on fumes late in games since about 2016...

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
They need 2 top 9 centers, 2 top 6 wingers, a goalie, and at least 2 dmen. Thats a lot...
They need everything except a 1st line LW and a 1D. Dach needs to score, and unless he starts doing so they really can't pencil him in for a top 6 role (edited for clarity) They also basically have nothing on the farm outside of Reichel. Maybe a few guys that might top out as second pairing D.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Murphy has always been average or below average. He did bring a physical element that was badly needed and he was younger than a battle-weary Hammer but there is no surprise here. He was overrated by Hawks fans from day 1. I think mostly to make an excuse for Stan getting fleeced once again in the one-for-one swap.
As for trade bait: good luck with that.
I will disagree. Murphy was above average for each of the last 3 years until this one. He was bad his first year with the Hawks, got better, was pretty damn good last year, and then fell off of a cliff.

Maybe they can sucker some other team into believing a change of scenery will do him good, because otherwise, they're stuck with that contract and it sucks if this is the guy he's going to be going forward.

Remember, any team trading for Murphy also inherits his extension of 4x4.4

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
They need everything except a 1st line LW and a 1D. Dach needs to score, and unless he start's doing so they really can't pencil him in for anything. They also basically have nothing on the farm outside of Reichel. Maybe a few guys that might top out as second pairing D.

He would be a great 3C if he didn't develop AT ALL. Right now. Stop with the f***ing hyperbole.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
A Seth Jones thread with very little Seth Jones discussion.

No news must be good news.
There should be some discussion on him. SJ is a legit #1D. IMO definitely top ten and to me trending towards top 5. He has played his way into the Norris discussion although it is very early in the year for that.

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
He has been really good in my view. Does a lot of little things well, eats minutes and is providing offense.

The contract is too long I think but right now he's good.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He certainly plays a lot of minutes and provides a lot of offense. He is fine defensively but isn't spectacular. At the end of the day I think this trade will be a negative due to team situation and how much cap space we gave up, along with the assets.

I'd rather have Boqvist, Silinger, 1st this year and Dougie Hamilton than having Seth Jones @ 9.5 and none of those assets.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He certainly plays a lot of minutes and provides a lot of offense. He is fine defensively but isn't spectacular. At the end of the day I think this trade will be a negative due to team situation and how much cap space we gave up, along with the assets.

I'd rather have Boqvist, Silinger, 1st this year and Dougie Hamilton than having Seth Jones @ 9.5 and none of those assets.
Why would you assume you could of had Dougie?

Reactions: Giovi and Muffinalt

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Why would you assume you could of had Dougie?
I mean he went to the Devils, I'm sure we could have. Regardless. If you wanted Seth Jones that bad, you could see that your roster sucks and then just wait a year and sign him for money. Or if you trade assets for him, then get him for less than 9.5 which is pretty much UFA money. You don't give up all the assets and then all the money, especially when you aren't going to win anything.

They gambled that a healthy Dach, a returning Toews, Seth Jones, and MAF would take a bottom 3 roster to contender THIS YEAR. It was a terrible decision.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
75 point pace. Playing on this dump of a team, with bargain-bin quality of D partners.
Yeah, I mean I guess, but his D isn't top tier and we suck(ed) anyway so what is the point in giving up all the assets for a guy a year away from UFA and paying him at a rate that basically sets the market for D? It was stupid.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah, I mean I guess, but his D isn't top tier and we suck(ed) anyway so what is the point in giving up all the assets for a guy a year away from UFA and paying him at a rate that basically sets the market for D? It was stupid.

I think we should all let his career here play out a little bit before crying over spilled milk. He clearly has a lot of talent. Points aren’t everything and he’s gotta tighten up defensively however

Reactions: Muffinalt

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I mean he went to the Devils, I'm sure we could have. Regardless. If you wanted Seth Jones that bad, you could see that your roster sucks and then just wait a year and sign him for money. Or if you trade assets for him, then get him for less than 9.5 which is pretty much UFA money. You don't give up all the assets and then all the money, especially when you aren't going to win anything.

They gambled that a healthy Dach, a returning Toews, Seth Jones, and MAF would take a bottom 3 roster to contender THIS YEAR. It was a terrible decision.
that simple huh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad